LX 3310 - Fording through Deep Water

AllPawDrive

Feb 6, 2021
Aroostook County, Maine
Hello all,

I noticed today that my front axle has a curved vent. My tractor was parked at an angle and I noticed a little bit of fluid leaking out the vent.…not much.

It got me to wondering, if i ran through deep enough water, could I end up getting water entering the front axle through the axle vent? Should I plug the front axle vent when going through deep water?

Thanks.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
My first thought would be yes - unless that vent has some one way pressure valve at the beginning of it.

As for plugging - I would suggest adding "hose" to make the vent taller ......... much like those JEEP guys with the air intake when crossing rivers and whatnot.

Reactions: 2 users

radas

Equipment
2022 LX2610HST, 3rd Function, Rear Remotes, BH77
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
Hose and check valve like 85Hokie mentioned will solve your problem. Google search for differential vent check valve, grab a length of hose, barb fitting, hose clamps, and a couple zip ties and you can extend your breather tube. Alternatively, if you can remove the breather tube and clamp a new vacuum hose on altogether, that will eliminate the need for a hose barb and give you a cleaner install.

Reactions: 1 users

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Hello all,

I noticed today that my front axle has a curved vent. My tractor was parked at an angle and I noticed a little bit of fluid leaking out the vent.…not much.

It got me to wondering, if i ran through deep enough water, could I end up getting water entering the front axle through the axle vent? Should I plug the front axle vent when going through deep water?

Thanks.
Absolutely.

Cold water contacting warm/hot axle creating a vacuum to pull water in if vent below water level.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Deep water (which I define as above the front axle wheel lug-bolts at their LOWER points) is BAD JUJU for your tractor. The front axle isn’t the only concern…. it’s the transmission, clutch, HST, PTO, and differentials which can be expen$ive. Stay out of deep water unless you have deep pockets.