lube to drive shaft of B7200 HSTD 4X4

cb750k8

Equipment
B7200HST D 4X4
Aug 23, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
Hi
Could someone please confirm if drive shaft universal joint (UJ)needs lubrication or is it sealed for life. (There are rubber rings on the cross of the UJ.

Was investigating a rattle on this drive shaft and traced it to a missing oil seal part 090 on attached drawing which I can replace.

There was some emulsified oil in the bottom of housing part 010 and my query is if the universal joint is meant to be bathed in oil. I note that the upper joint on this shaft is not lubed and there is no oil fill connection on part 010.

Any comments would help before I put it all together.
Thanks

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If the joints are factory ones they wont have grease zerks, some use a needle fitting to force some grease in them, I don't I just replace them.
If they are loose or worn at all, save yourself some abuse later and change them now.

cb750k8

Equipment
B7200HST D 4X4
Aug 23, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
Well,
After reading responses form ismurphy and wolfman I revisited my tractor (when it stoped raining) and checked both universal joints (UJ)and splines for "slack or slop". Universal Joints have no slack but splines especially the upper ones have some slack. The joints have no zerks (grease nipples).
I dismantled one of the joints and observed oil in the needle bearings and reassembled it deeming the UJ's to be accaptable.
Unlike the photo shown by ismurphy my cowling has no oil fill or drain.
I presume that at some stage Kubota changed designs to sealed bearings and no oil bath which is what I have.

Reinstalled the shaft with a new oil seal on external pipe (I presume, in my arrangement, this is to stop dirt entering rather than oil exiting). All is good. Rattle is gone.

Thanks for responses.

Attachments