Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Love this web site
Thanks for all the insight and ideas
Dick has provided a wealth of information.

Keep in mind that adding the power beyond conversion sleeve to your loader valve also requires you add an additional tank return hose to the other outlet port. The hydraulic sump filler is often used to dump that oil back into the system.

Converting the loader valve "fixes" that plumbing but you still have a vanilla open center valve on the post pounder. If you simply daisy chain it off the PB port on the loader valve you have the same "tank return used as power beyond port" issue on the post pounder valve. If you want to "fix" that misconfiguration you need a source of constant flow pressurized oil for the pounder and a direct return to tank circuit for the exhaust oil.

I will repeat my earlier suggestion - first convert your loader valve to PB and then purchase a 4 way 3 position single spool valve with its own power beyond port and daisy chain it off the loader PB. You will need to run (tee) a tank return from it into the tank return on the loader valve - this will be used for your low pressure outlet from the pounder.. Put quick couplers on the work ports of that rear remote valve and you have a properly configured set of rear remotes to use for the post pounder hookup or anything else that strikes your fancy. You can even go crazy and purchase a 2, 3, ... spool valve and add multiple remotes for all of the other things you have always wanted like a hydraulic top link - real handy with that post pounder :rolleyes:

Here is link to a suitable single spool valve - no affiliation with Summit - its just inexpensive and you can order it with a power beyond sleeve ($25) and a single position detent ($20) as options. They have multi-spool valves for not a lot more and if I were doing this I would opt for at least one additional spool.

Dan

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Grace: Dan's guidance is good here. Follow it and you'll be pounding posts soon with a setup that will be safe and flexible. Dick B.

Last edited:

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
There's a related old thread here on installing a removable Kubota loader on a L345 (same chassis as L355ss). Several posts mention the PB question, etc. - may be interesting reading. DB

Last edited:

Grace haven

Equipment
L355SS
Nov 8, 2020
Maryland
gentlemen could i install a 4 position open center control valve with power beyond in place of my 2 position loader valve? this would give me an added function at the bucket and 1 remote at the rear of the tractor. as for the post driver the larger return hose could be connected to the sump cover on the trans. for some reason there is a quick connect on there now.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
gentlemen could i install a 4 position open center control valve with power beyond in place of my 2 position loader valve? this would give me an added function at the bucket and 1 remote at the rear of the tractor. as for the post driver the larger return hose could be connected to the sump cover on the trans. for some reason there is a quick connect on there now.

Certainly but you mean 4 spool not position. You want a fourth float position on one of the loader spools and possibly on the rear remote spool. You will have three hoses to connect on the valve:

1. Pump pressure in from the hydraulic block.
  2. Pump pressure out from the power beyond port on the new valve back to the hydraulic block
  3. A tank return from the tank port on the new valve to the sump - e.g. your transmission filler.

As long as we are spending money put a joystick on the loader spools.

All joking aside - it would be a lot cheaper to buy a 2 spool loader valve and use your existing valve for the remotes.

Dan

Last edited:

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
I agree - keeps most of the plumbing out of the way (2nd valve beside the seat and remotes behind it)

Last edited: