Lowering the Roll Bar and Canopy Shade on a Kubota Tractor

Showmedata

Equipment
LX3310
May 18, 2022
Boulder CO
I remember when JEEPs had roll bars, also know when 'they' renamed them to 'light bars', to avoid lawsuits.
I actually worked at Jeep body engineering in the early 90s. It was officially called a "sport bar" for exactly the reason you state, but it was fully engineered as a structural part of the chassis to provide roof-crush protection.

I am of the opinion that ROPS is both - to prevent rolling beyond sideways in all but the steepest terrain, and to provide some operator protection in case it does. But this is all armchair quarterbacking, to be fair.

Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I say give up on the idea of a canopy. Remove the ROPS completely. Easy to get the tractor where you want it then. Why worry about it?

Live long and prosper…

I tipped my B2910 on its side once. The ROPS did stop the action at that point. More cautious now. Would I make it shorter? Don’t think so. The unexpected does happen.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
The ROPS is NOT a roll bar. It is not intended to protect your head either. It is designed to stop the tractor from rolling over more than 90 degrees ( on it's side ).
That's an interesting distinction and one that I hadn't thought about. I have thought about rolling over and having a big rock or boulder try to occupy the same space as me! Rolling a tractor is definitely something that worries me when I'm on one of mine. Now that I have cabbed tractors there's no way to easily or quickly jump off or clear of a rolling tractor so I should wear the seat belt. I'm probably overly cautious but I don't know how out of whack these tractors can get before the decide to roll.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
That's an interesting distinction and one that I hadn't thought about. I have thought about rolling over and having a big rock or boulder try to occupy the same space as me! Rolling a tractor is definitely something that worries me when I'm on one of mine. Now that I have cabbed tractors there's no way to easily or quickly jump off or clear of a rolling tractor so I should wear the seat belt. I'm probably overly cautious but I don't know how out of whack these tractors can get before the decide to roll.
My fear was a tree…I built a “head protector“ to prevent that. You can see it in my Avatar.

I kept imagining something going wrong next to a tree, with the tractor tipping and the tree sliding down MY side of the ROPS…mouse trap effect.

L&AirC

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23S
Dec 6, 2022
NH
re: The ROPS is NOT a roll bar

I respectfully disagree.ROPS is Roll Over Protection System, keyword is Roll, same word as in Roll Bar. If 'they' don't think it's the same, then 'they' could have used 1,000s of other words in the English language to name it. Both are items that are designed to limit the travel of an object from going past a desired amount of motion. Neigther is a 'safety cage' or 'roll cage' as seen in say race cars.

I remember when JEEPs had roll bars, also know when 'they' renamed them to 'light bars', to avoid lawsuits.
Is it not possible that the protection it provides for roll overs is to prevent the roll over from happening?

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
Is it not possible that the protection it provides for roll overs is to prevent the roll over from happening?
A ROPS is designed to stop the tractor at 90 degrees from upright. The tractor should stop the roll with it's side on the ground. It is not a roll bar which protects you when your car goes 180 degrees.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
A ROPS is designed to stop the tractor at 90 degrees from upright. The tractor should stop the roll with it's side on the ground. It is not a roll bar which protects you when your car goes 180 degrees.
Technically, a ROPS systems, should provide some protection in both scenarios.

L&AirC

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23S
Dec 6, 2022
NH
[/QUOTE

I’m in agreement with you and is what I meant. I’m focusing on the meaning of the first two words - “roll over”. If a tractor rolls, it is on its side. To get to “over”, it would have to continue until it is on its other side. You stated the length of the ROPS is to prevent the “over” part from happening and that is the most logical explanation I’ve heard.

How many manufacturers make things longer, wider, stronger, thicker, etc. than they have too? The ROPS could be designed shorter if the goal was to protect the driver through the roll over. Customers would be happier because the tractor would fit in a garage without modification; to the tractor or garage. They added the hinge in the ROPS so this could happen.

I am not an engineer, but isn’t an arch stronger than a rectangle when it comes to supporting a downward force? Why pick a tall rectangle when a shorter arch is stronger? Isn’t it because the arch doesn’t prevent the over part whereas the tall rectangle does?

Biker1mike

Equipment
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
The entire tractor would need to be redesigned. Tractor body parts and frame are not made to help in any way for a 360 degree roll. The price of R&D and complete redesign would be vast. I imagine the price of tractors would become a real issue for many small farms.
Complete 360 rolls are rare.

ruger1980

Equipment
L4310 w/La682, L225
Oct 25, 2020
CNY
The entire tractor would need to be redesigned. Tractor body parts and frame are not made to help in any way for a 360 degree roll. The price of R&D and complete redesign would be vast. I imagine the price of tractors would become a real issue for many small farms.
Complete 360 rolls are rare.
Sorry I work for a very large OEM. A ROPS is designed to "protect" during a roll over whether it be laying over on the side or upside down. The structure must be able to support the entire weight of the vehicle. It is also not designed to protect when rolling over and over, one time use only.

That being said it just to protect the machine and operator during those conditions. It does not guarantee it will save your life.

Biker1mike

Equipment
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
Sorry I work for a very large OEM. A ROPS is designed to "protect" during a roll over whether it be laying over on the side or upside down. The structure must be able to support the entire weight of the vehicle. It is also not designed to protect when rolling over and over, one time use only.

That being said it just to protect the machine and operator during those conditions. It does not guarantee it will save your life.
Ruger,
Specs verse real life.
I just went out to the tractor. Ran a cord from the front of the hood to the top of the ROPS. I then climbed into the seat. The cord came to my EAR lobe. So the top two to three inches of my head were ABOVE the line.
The rops has to hold the weight of the tractor in a 180 flip.
If I do a 180 roll, my head will be part of the weight bearing points of contact. At my age I
would assume my head / spine will not carry that kind of load.

ruger1980

Equipment
L4310 w/La682, L225
Oct 25, 2020
CNY
Ruger,
Specs verse real life.
I just went out to the tractor. Ran a cord from the front of the hood to the top of the ROPS. I then climbed into the seat. The cord came to my EAR lobe. So the top two to three inches of my head were ABOVE the line.
The rops has to hold the weight of the tractor in a 180 flip.
If I do a 180 roll, my head will be part of the weight bearing points of contact. At my age I
would assume my head / spine will not carry that kind of load.

Like I said it is not designed to save your life only "protect" you.