Low vs. Med

Evad

Equipment
L3301
Apr 2, 2022
Redmond, WA
I ran into somebody the other day that has the same L3301 that I do and we both use it primarily to grade roads with a box blade so we were comparing notes. The one thing I thought was odd is that I always use low when grading the road with the box blade, he keeps his in Med. We basically are going the same speed when grading. With an HST does it matter if I am grading in Med or Low? I admit it would be nice to be in Mid so that when I need to move to another section of road I could get there faster without shifting, but I thought that it would be bad to grade at such a slow speed in Med setting. Thanks for any advice you might have.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
There is overlap between L and M. I usually run in M with my Grader Scraper and use less treadle pedal except when I'm going on the flat or downhill. I find it's quite a bit faster than L at full pedal.

Reactions: 1 user

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
There is overlap between L and M. I usually run in M with my Grader Scraper and use less treadle pedal except when I'm going on the flat or downhill. I find it's quite a bit faster than L at full pedal.
I do the same. The only times that I use low is for loader work, plowing the garden, or connecting implements.

Evad

Equipment
L3301
Apr 2, 2022
Redmond, WA
Thank you for the replies. The one thing I have noticed is that HST whine is far less when I am in Low vs. Med. Not sure if that means anything but I do enjoy the less whining from using Low.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Thank you for the replies. The one thing I have noticed is that HST whine is far less when I am in Low vs. Med. Not sure if that means anything but I do enjoy the less whining from using Low.
It means the HST is less loaded because your final drive is geared down. H/M/L is just a 3 speed mechanical gear box between the HST and the rear axle

Dan

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I use whatever the tractor is comfortable with. Light duty such as pulling gravel back to center, medium works swell as I’m just moving aggregate and the box isn’t generally full. Reshaping a packed roadbed with a full box and rippers full down is more of a low range operation. Although possibly not necessary, when pulling something, I prefer moderate to full pedal in low range v nominal pedal in medium.

Edit: Just remembered where I got the “more pedal lower gear to achieve same speed” thing from. When I was looking at HST v shuttle one thing a friend who runs golf course equipment told me was the only cooling the HST gets is via fluid flow so higher flow rate (more pedal) into a lower gear is preferable to lower flow rate (less pedal) into a higher gear to achieve the same speed because the higher flow rate helps the HST cool. Could be total crap but it made sense to me and now it’s such a habit I almost completely forgot why I do it that way.

Last edited:

hedgerow

Jan 2, 2015
Malcolm NE
Its funny the AGCO I had before the MX6000 only had a two speed. I thought with the three speed I would use medium more. No I don't think in thousand plus hours I have used medium an hour. High for the road and low for every thing else. I like more peddle movement that low gives me.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
I can honestly say that my LX2610 is in Midrange 99 percent of the time. I use Low range for stump pulling, box scraper ripper work, and when trying to get unstuck in the snow.
Most of my loader work on the LX2610 has been snow removal, in M range. If I were moving dirt or gravel I'd probably use Low range more.

Low range... pulling stumps, getting unstuck, parking in a tight spot, use of any kind close to buildings.
Mid range... Grading the driveway with the box scraper w/o rippers engaged, moving snow with the rear blade or bucket, moving limbs with the grapple, going from point A to point B on semi-rough terrain, mowing trails with the rear rotary cutter.
High range ... driving down a well graded road.
Once I get a rototiller I'll be using Low range more.

My family were farmers, and since childhood they taught me to listen to the diesel engine.... never bog it down.

Not a pro, just a hack. My 02 cents.

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
I do the same. The only times that I use low is for loader work, plowing the garden, or connecting implements.
Agreed.

Mike

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
That's ok, but what if you aren't mowing, but grading instead? :D

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I use medium low and medium high for most of my tractor work.

If I need more power, I will drop down to low high or low low.

I only use high low and high high for roading the tractor.

RBsingl

Equipment
Kubota F 2690 72" rear discharge deck, Deere 955
Jul 1, 2022
Central IL
For some operations, you need a lot of torque at the driving wheels and it is easier on the HST to do a large share of that torque multiplication via a lower gear range rather than relying just upon the HST to do the majority of the work.

Rodger

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
That's ok, but what if you aren't mowing, but grading instead? :D
I still use M, unless there is a need for heavy cutting. Normal road grading is fine in the M range.