low oil pressure

timruger1

Jan 13, 2014
woodland wa
I have low oil pressure in a L3130 verified with a gauge

I have checked the Service Manual but am still unable to locate the engine relief valve.

Can anyone advise where it is?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Right side, front, bottom, down by or in the oil filter housing.

timruger1

Jan 13, 2014
woodland wa
The filter housing is attched to the front of the block right side with three bolts. There is nothing else visible on the housing. Is it inside?

In that same area but on the block itself is a pipe plug that I cant remove because its frozen. Is it behind there?

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
It's inside the filter houseing, nothing but a ball and spring. oil pressure pushes against the ball, when and if the pressure gets higher than the spring pressure, the ball unseats and drops back down to the normal specs. If something gets stuck between the ball and seat, you can have lower than normal pressure. Very rarely happens. More than likely, you have an oil galley plug missing.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Last edited:

timruger1

Jan 13, 2014
woodland wa
Thanks

If I understand you correctly than there is no point in pulling the filter housing

I will have to focus my battle on the frozen plug first?

I checked the service manual it just had a vague drawing but did not show the location of the valve

DaTow'd

Equipment
what ever it takes to get the job done
Aug 13, 2013
Bella Coma BC Canada
On a customer L185 tractor his low oil pressure problem was a cam shaft end plug that got blown out in the cold weather.
I tested the oil pressure with a 0-80 psi gauge it hardly moved the needle. I used a 0-30 psi gauge and got <6psi.
Seems that model used a cam shaft that had a hole drilled in the centre of the shaft.
It had a plug pressed in both ends.
I found the plug in the bottom of the timing gear cover.
I tapped and put a screw in plug
I tested after and got 45 psi hot
all good
Hank

timruger1

Jan 13, 2014
woodland wa
Getting to be to many options LOL

Bad news; welded a bolt to the stripped plug and got it out. NOTHING BEHIND IT.

Proceeded to remove filter housing; NOTHING IN OR BEHIND IT EITHER.

So far a lot of wasted time

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
One: Yelling at us will get you nowhere,
Two: Soooo sorry I've wasted your time, I give the best information I can.

The relief valve is behind the cover noted in yellow:

L3130 Relief valve.JPG

timruger1

Jan 13, 2014
woodland wa
That was in NO WAY directed towards anyone here. I was simply venting my frustration with the situation.

Sorry you misunderstood

The cover for the relief valve is partially covered by the frame rail and not really accessible.

Therefore I dropped the oil pan and found this in the bottom.

Anybody have an idea what the heck this is? Some kinda shim maybe?

Attachments

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Nothing has been a waste of time, you've proven some things that are not causeing the problem. Oil passages are drilled thru the block, cam and other parts. The ends (some) of those passages must be stopped up to make the oil go to where it is needed. A small cup plug or set screw is used for that. Just one of them missing will cause the porblem. Some oil pumps have plates over the rotors that spin and pump the oil. One or 2 of the bolts could come loose. I've been where you are and it took me allmost a month to find it. Not working on it every day though. Others on here guided me through the frustration. It turned out to be one of the cam plugs, the front of the eng had to come off to finally find it.
Since you hav e the oil pan off, you can remove the oil sending unit and blow compressed air into the block while looking and listening for the leak. Don't have your head under the eng, you'll get soaked.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
That part is exactly why you don't have oil pressure.
It's a main bearing cap thrust bearing.
Something is bad, real bad that part should not have just fallen out!
It get's really complicated at this point, I would say your looking at an engine rebuild.
Look at the rear main bearing cap for anything broken there.
These pictures are from the service manual, and Kubota.

L3130 thrust bearing 1.JPG

L3130 thrust bearing 2.JPG

timruger1

Jan 13, 2014
woodland wa
I thought that piece looked like the face of a main bearing, but I've never seen one seperate ( by itself).
Its one half of the thrust bearing but its not broken. It appears to have fallen out in tact unworn and without damage.

I can see where it goes but dont get how it stays in.

I think the previous poster is correct and I am looking at a complete tear down.

Im actually thinking I will ship it to the auction

Thanks for the help

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
I agree piece in photo is a thrust brg and cause for low(no) oil pressure. I can't speak for Kubota engines but on a JD engine the main brgs with thrust washers can be replaced with engine still in the tractor. JD calls this an "under haul".

timruger1

Jan 13, 2014
woodland wa
That would be great but I sure dont see where it would go or how it stays in. Its not broken or damaged it looks like it just fell out.

Best I can tell the crank slides in and doesnt drop out the botthom

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You would have to split it and remove the motor to do the rebuild, it's not that hard if you have the proper equipment.
The thrust bearing sits in a grove on the rear main bearing cap, there are two pairs, one pair on each side of the main bearing cap.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
I don't know if engine must be removed to replace thrust brg but engine doesn't necessarily have to be rebuilt as in overhaul to replace thrust & main brgs.