Lost power steering on L2550

Crossley

Equipment
L2550
Sep 19, 2011
Kalamazoo, MI
I was plowing up the back yard to replant grass and I heard a wine and a pop / snap... kind of like a belt breaking (I realize that there is not a belt involved). Long story short the power steering immediately stopped working. The 3 pt still raises and lowers and the loader works fine as well. The tractor drives as normal but without power stearing (same as how a car drives without the power stearing operational). Any direction on what to check first, where the pump is for the power steering etc...:confused:

I believe that this is the DT (Not GST)

You direction is greatly appreciated.

WARRENHH

Equipment
L2550D
Sep 20, 2011
GEORGETOWN CALIFORNIA
I possibly have the same problem with my L2550D with power steering.
I have 3/4 of a turn on the steering wheel before the pitman arm moves sometimes the steering is hard and takes off on it's own I did have a hydraulic whine just before this happened.

The steering adjustment screw movement is about 1/8 in both directions.
I believe it uses the tractor fluid to run to run the steering box.

I have priced a rebuilt at about $ 300 to $ 400 new at $ 600

Any low cost repairs before Itake the plunge ??

Thanks warren

09/22/2011 I REMOVED THE BATTERY AND BATTERY BRACKET AND I NOTICED THE STEERING SHAFT AT THE STEERING BOX WILL MOVE IN AND OUT WHEN I TURN THE STEERING WHEEL. I HAVE TRIED TO REMOVE THE SIDE COVER THAT HOLDS THE SECTOR GEAR SHAFT BY TURNING THE ADJUSTMENT SCREW CLOCKWISE BUT IT DOES NOT MOVE.

Last edited:

Crossley

Equipment
L2550
Sep 19, 2011
Kalamazoo, MI
In my case I don't have the play in the steering wheel that WARRENHH is refering to. Mine just doesn't have the power assist but steers with what appears to be the same "play" in the steering which is not much at all.

WARRENHH, I have heard of the "play" in the steering that you're refering to and have seen a video that helps explain some of the symptoms you are having but probably does not offer a lower cost solution. The video is on YOUTUBE at this link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJlk3cBjMqo
I also believe that it is on this site but don't know where exactly.

Anyone out there with experience fixing the power steering problem(s) mentioned above?

Greatly appreciated,

Crossley

Equipment
L2550
Sep 19, 2011
Kalamazoo, MI
WarrenHH,

I will be working on the tractor this weekend and I'll let you know if I discover anything that might help you out.

Crossley

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
To Warrenhh. I just saw a similar problem as you describe (other brand though).
If you mean the steering post (holds the steering wheel) moves up and down a bit when you turn it, that is the working action. Post moves in, pushes one valve, post moves out...pushes other valve. This tractor did the same thing, you start to turn it and it takes off and spins on over to the stops. In our situation it was the thrust bearing at the bottom of the post had come apart, allowing too much motion and working the valves out-of-range. As whacky as this one was I wouldn't open it without a good schematic of parts and location. The "valve" body was really a sandwich with poppets and ball bearings between, the balls are really the valves; as they roll up/down past the oil ports they imbalance the in/out, right/left pressures.

The whine just may be the pressure relief valve whining similar to when you raise the 3point too far on some tractors.

WARRENHH

Equipment
L2550D
Sep 20, 2011
GEORGETOWN CALIFORNIA
Hello vic ?
When you mention drive shaft is this the shaft inside the powering steering pump ?
When this condition is corrected and provides pressure once again to steering gear box will this take the excessive play out of the steering.

What is the best way to repair? Replace with new one,replace with rebuilt,
or repair broken unit.

Thanks warren

Crossley

Equipment
L2550
Sep 19, 2011
Kalamazoo, MI
Vic,

Thanks for the info. I ended up ordering the Service Manual but had to wait a couple of weeks for it to come in which delayed working on this. I did some checking on the PS pump. Nothing is pumping out of it at this time. Pulled the pump(s) and when I manually turn the drive shaft I can see the components moving in the 3pt section but no movement in the PS section. Can these pumps be rebuilt given the companion shaft being broken? The Service manual led me to believe that I should buy a new pump.

Your thoughts?

Thanks,

Crossley

WARRENHH

Equipment
L2550D
Sep 20, 2011
GEORGETOWN CALIFORNIA
Hello vic and crossley i ripped into the hydrolic ps pump

one of the ps pump shafts tang was broken off and the coupler was trashed. I ordered the internal ps parts for about $ 200.

Recieved them but they where for a newer pump.

So i needed to order the complete hydro pump at $ 521.00.

I pick the pump up wensday.

I will let you know if this fixes it

TWIN TURBOTA

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4400, Kx91-2, Z725, L2550
Mar 14, 2018
galion, ohio
coupler no longer available , have to buy new pump. $450 I welded and re-machined a new tab on my gear and welded the coupler. works fine now.

foresterdj

Equipment
L2550, FEL, rear blade, 3 pt mower, chipper & blower, disc, grapple bucket
Mar 13, 2017
BEMIDJI
My L2550 did this exact thing tonight while plowing snow. Loader and 3 pt work fine, power steering not at all. Sounds like a new pump is in order. I see some sites listing used pumps. Would Kubota dealer have new pumps you think, for this age of tractor? Any suggestions for other pump sources?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes a Kubota dealer will be able to get you a new pump at $1000+.

P/N 31351-76300

I think I would make 100% sure you can't fix it first.

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Using the part number provided above, it looks like Messick's has it in stock.

Part Number 31351-76300
Vendor Kubota
Messick's Price $1,033.58
Stock Quantity 1
Weight 6.56 lbs
Days to Order In stock
Replaces 31351-76470, 31351-76305

I hope your pump can be repaired!

foresterdj

Equipment
Mar 13, 2017
BEMIDJI
Ouch! Will dig into it tomorrow. Assuming I find breakage similar to what others have found, what would repair likely entail?

foresterdj

Equipment
Mar 13, 2017
BEMIDJI
Took line off that goes to front for Power Steering, started tractor, not one drop came out. Figured this was a sign of broken or stripped shaft inside, I sucked it up and ordered new pump.

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Took line off that goes to front for Power Steering, started tractor, not one drop came out. Figured this was a sign of broken or stripped shaft inside, I sucked it up and ordered new pump.
Do you plan on taking the old pump apart to find the root cause? If you do, perhaps you could take a few pictures of the failed items... It might help someone down the road.

Good luck with the new pump.

foresterdj

Equipment
Mar 13, 2017
BEMIDJI
Yes, I will photograph and try to post. Pump shipped Monday so maybe next weekend.

foresterdj

Equipment
Mar 13, 2017
BEMIDJI
Pump arrived today. Kind of thought for $1033+ that it would include the gaskets, not so. Looks to need three flat gaskets (mount to crank case, power line to implements, and oil in from filter), then the one on the Power steering line a brass looking washer.

Anyone know part numbers for this, or should I just cut my own from blank stock and find or reuse the brass washer. Hope to work on this in the morning after a trip to town for gaskets.

foresterdj

Equipment
Mar 13, 2017
BEMIDJI
Never mind, they are all O-Rings (except the washer one).

Indeed, front part turns, PS end not at all.

Heading to town for O-Rings a new filter and some fluid.