Loose steering

Toyboy

Equipment
BX2230D - RCK60-22BX - BX5450
May 18, 2010
Hayward Wi
I've had my BX2230 in to service the steering 3 times now and they cannot get it to be sloppy.
When I'm using machine the steering tends to wander and last week just quit, no resistance at all for about ten minutes and then it came back. So I had them come and get it.
Well, they can't get it to repeat the problem even after running it for an hour. What options do I have?
They told me that the steering valve is not re-buildable and to replace it is over $900.
Need help, whats your thoughts??

Last edited:

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Steering valves ARE rebuildable. Perhaps they meant to say THEY don’t rebuild them... THEY just replace them. You may be in the wrong repair shop.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Some are (larger units) some aren't (smaller units).
Steering valves ARE rebuildable. Perhaps they meant to say THEY don’t rebuild them... THEY just replace them. You may be in the wrong repair shop.

Yours is, mine is, his ain't.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
These things are not as “mysterious” as one might think. Cleanliness is the key, and don’t scratch internals. The main thing that fails inside these things are O-rings and even if a “kit” is not available it’s not difficult to procure O-rings. Here’s a video that shows how to do it. I’ve done two (on other than a BX but someone does it commercially, or get the O-rings and do it yourself.)

Here’s a brand new one for $539.

Palmettokat

Equipment
M6800, B2710, L6060, Volvo 5 ton excavator and implements.
Apr 21, 2020
South Carolina
When has your hyd oil and filter been changed? Water in the oil can have that same effect when it gets hot which seems to be like you are experiencing. That may be why they can not reproduce the issue. If memory is correct air being sucked in the oil will also have the same effect. If the transmission has dip stick pull it and look at the oil when this is happening. If milky suspect it.

Toyboy

Equipment
May 18, 2010
Hayward Wi
When has your hyd oil and filter been changed? Water in the oil can have that same effect when it gets hot which seems to be like you are experiencing. That may be why they can not reproduce the issue. If memory is correct air being sucked in the oil will also have the same effect. If the transmission has dip stick pull it and look at the oil when this is happening. If milky suspect it.
Thanks for the reply's fellas, now for the update.
After extensive searching in the internet yesterday, I found this problem is somewhat common in the older machines like mine anyway. The culprit appears to be the power steering cylinder O rings go bad due to the finish in the cylinder not being honed smooth enough. There was a service bulletin on this issue years back. Then it would have been repaired or replaced no charge. I doubt I'll be that lucky.
So I've told them to rebuild the cylinder. Ill keep you posted once my machine comes home and I've put some use on it.

Jettrader

Equipment
BX2230
Nov 16, 2020
Aubrey, Texas
Can you please stsate where you are getting it rebuilt and if it was successful? I have same issue and would like to either purchase rebuild o-ring kit or have mine rebuilt. How much did they charge to rebuild?

Thank you

Toyboy

Equipment
May 18, 2010
Hayward Wi
Can you please stsate where you are getting it rebuilt and if it was successful? I have same issue and would like to either purchase rebuild o-ring kit or have mine rebuilt. How much did they charge to rebuild?

Thank you
I was told by a different dealer (who did the work) that it was more cost effective to just replace the cylinder ($207) then rebuild, because the same condition in the cyl. bore would eventually cause the rebuild to exhibit the same symptoms. I'm not sure what a rebuld kit is $$, but the amount of time to do it would probably exceed the cost of new replacement and installation unless you do rebuild yourself.
Replacing the cylinder with new was the way I chose to go.
If I was younger, I would have done the work to replace it myself, but at my age now squirming around on the floor like a worm, is in my rear view mirror.

Jettrader

Equipment
BX2230
Nov 16, 2020
Aubrey, Texas
I was told by a different dealer (who did the work) that it was more cost effective to just replace the cylinder ($207) then rebuild, because the same condition in the cyl. bore would eventually cause the rebuild to exhibit the same symptoms. I'm not sure what a rebuld kit is $$, but the amount of time to do it would probably exceed the cost of new replacement and installation unless you do rebuild yourself.
Replacing the cylinder with new was the way I chose to go.
If I was younger, I would have done the work to replace it myself, but at my age now squirming around on the floor like a worm, is in my rear view mirror.
The steering cylinder is relatively easy to change the seals and rebuild. The steering controller is my concern. It is what the steering wheel attaches to. I see they cost around $550. If I could by a rebuilt one for $207 I would do that.

Toyboy

Equipment
May 18, 2010
Hayward Wi
The steering cylinder is relatively easy to change the seals and rebuild. The steering controller is my concern. It is what the steering wheel attaches to. I see they cost around $550. If I could by a rebuilt one for $207 I would do that.
When I talked to service manager and told him what my machine was doing, the first thing he said was steering cyl.
He never mentioned it could also be this or that. So that's what I went with.

Reactions: 1 user