Looking to Fab a Replacement Hood for a L2500DT

Alpinweiss

Premium Member

Equipment
L2500DT
Apr 19, 2022
Missoula
Hey guys - just picked up a new to me L2500DT. The tractor is in good shape, but was missing the hood and side panels. Buying replacements was a little more expensive than I thought it would be (~$1500!)... so I'm looking into other options.

Has anyone fabricated a replacement? Any idea where to get details/dimensions? Or got a good lead on used parts?

Any tips or ideas would be super helpful!

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
Must be a good side story on how the hood and side panels came up missing. Hopefully you got it for a good price and is good shape mechanical. Hours? I'd suggest changing all fluid, filters, belt, grease accordinily, and getting any small components to ensure it's mechanical sound. I agree $1,500.00 seems high but personally I'd be happy that they're available, I'd deliver pizza, walk dogs, cut grass, sell my mother's dentures before I'd start metal fabrication, punching louvers, compound angles, drop shears, brakes, etc. could be a real character builder. Used might be a thought, if you can find them but don't expect them to be like new, and I sure they wouldn't be giving them away, you'll pay shipping either way, price the spread. If you get this tractor in apple pie order you'll have a good machine and 20 or 30 years down the road you won't remember that $1,500.00. As always do as you feel is best

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
'tin' has a funny way of going 'walkabout'......

Lookup what other models use those panels, then search the 'net' and scrapyards to see if any can be found. One may have the hood,another a side panel....

Making ACTUAL clones of them IS a task BUT if you want functional covers, really not that hard.
Start by getting a good amount of corrugated boxes (flat screen TV size ??),new box cutter blades,duct tape and a pencil.
Cut a piece to become the hood top surface. then tape on hood sides.
Now cut,fit, tape the actual side panels. Mark on them where the louvers should go.
Measure everything from the INSIDE dimensions. Take to a 'fab' shop, they can make the steel ones from your templates. Instead of $$$ louvers, simple cut a large hole, then weld expanded metal.
The 'fun' part will be getting latches or clamps or whatever holds the 3 pieces onto the tractor.
While not OEM, they will serve the purpose and cost far less than the Real McCoy.

Alpinweiss

Premium Member

Equipment
L2500DT
Apr 19, 2022
Missoula
Well I think I got a decent deal at least ($10k with a brush mower and the loader). 965hrs on the tractor, fires right up and everything works. Never got a good story about how the panels went missing but it was kept indoors at least.

I can find the hood used... so maybe that's the way to go, suck it up on the side panels new... but man still seems like a lot to spend on something largely cosmetic.

Good suggestion on the cardboard mockups. I think I can probably use some pins to tie it all to the tractor. Some Orange paint and maybe it'll look better than new ;)