Longer Term, Larger amounts Fuel Storage

Gene Blister

Equipment
2019 Kubota B2601, FAL LA435, Snow Blower BX2822A, Land Pride rear blade RB1572
Aug 4, 2019
Cocolalla, Idaho
I want to lay in a store of diesel, at least 200 gallons. I’m looking at the big square metal storage/transfer tanks, but their weight plus fuel might make them too heavy for my B2601 FEL to lift down from the pick up bed after filling.

Does anyone know how well the poly 55gal. drums would hold up? I see several of them along with a mechanical pump serving fine, individually lighter and easier to transport.

I’m not interested in Safety Sallies, government restrictions, EPA or other excreta, just an objective, experience-based opinion about how well these inexpensive barrels will work for short and medium term storage.

Or, if you have proven alternatives.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
How about regular home heating oil tanks ? I think they're '200g' ??
question ? How are you going to fill them? Gotta be 'approved' can if going to gas station.....
How much diesel do you use in a year ? Let's say 200 gallons (HHO tank full), fuel doubles in price next year, say $2 to $4. A HHO tankfull will cost $400(2x200) more than now. What does a HHO tank cost to buy ? I'm thinkng $200,taxes in ?? That means overall you'll save $200 at the end of the year....providing the fuel doesn't go 'bad'(algea,gel, ??) by next fall or worse next Winter ! Then you'll have $$ repairs(filters, time loss) getting tractor up and running again.
While I do love the idea of 'prepping', you need to 'do the math' and see if it's ACTUALLY cost effective to do so. My BX23S and forklift use maybe a 5G jug every month,so I just buy 2 jugs at a time. keeps the fuel 'fresh'. As for 'bulk' storage, I'd have the tank(s) up high and gravity fed ,no power---no problem.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I typically keep close to 1000 gallons on hand all the time. I'll let the storage tank drop to about 1/2 full (has a float gage on it) and get it topped off. I use quite a bit of fuel every year, way more than the average person on here, I'm like Bulldog, we use fuel for our farming enterprises.

Mine is close to full right now, (just had it topped off and added biocide before the delivery man came by), I'm anticipating a huge price increase in diesel once the current cabal gets seated as well.

I'll probably run this tank way down if it goes through the roof, not sure. I tend to use about 600-750 gallons a year for the tractors and standby genset, but could use less if I cut my idle times down (I like to idle them to keep the ac cooking when it's hot out.

Instead of using poly barrels or a home heating oil tank (they are 250 gallons, not 200), I'd suggest you calling your local fuel supplier and getting a skid mounted storage tank. You can buy or least to buy them from most suppliers and let them fill it too. Most all come with a hand pump or electric pump and filter too.

Mine started life as a lease to buy tank that I bought. Delivered fuel isn't that expensive over going and getting it from the filling station and it's much less time consuming and less messy too.

Reactions: 1 user

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I'd have the tank(s) up high and gravity fed ,no power---no problem.
Keep in mind that with a gravity tank, you still have to 'defy' gravity to get the fuel up there in the first place unless you know of some secret that I don't know about.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
There is a lot more cost involved with 5gal cans. You need to go get them filled. My time alone is worth the fuel I am running for. My biggest issue is inconsistency between pails. In NH we need to treat in the winter. I like treating the whole tank.

The normal (current) heating oil tank is 275gal, and they are generally filled to 250gal. Readily available on craigs from people switching over to natural gas.

I wanted and "approved" method for my machine, one of my golf buddies owns a fuel company and he suggested a 275gal fuel tank (on a tank pad with spill tray). The pad and spill container is required in our state. You also need a working "whistle" on the tank vent. I use it with an electric 110v pump and it works awesome. I like that it is all treated the same.

Filling yourself, you can fill whatever you want. Stations are not supposed to allow filling into non-certified containers.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
The issue with purchasing a used heating oil tank from any classified ad is, there will be a certain amount of sludge in the bottom of the tank almost 99% of the time and it's hard to get rid of. They all have a drain valve on the bottom on the side but homeowners never drain them so the heating oil will have a certain amount of 'fallout' over the years of use, you will need to get out and that may not be an easy task. It certainly is a dirty task.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
The issue with purchasing a used heating oil tank from any classified ad is, there will be a certain amount of sludge in the bottom of the tank almost 99% of the time and it's hard to get rid of. They all have a drain valve on the bottom on the side but homeowners never drain them so the heating oil will have a certain amount of 'fallout' over the years of use, you will need to get out and that may not be an easy task. It certainly is a dirty task.
They are cheap enough to buy new as well. That is what I did.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Cdn gallons are bigger than American gallons... 200 cdns=240 usas.....
odds are they're physically the same tank....
getting rid of sludge is easy...use a pressure washer...yeah makes a mess

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Cdn gallons are bigger than American gallons... 200 cdns=240 usas.....
odds are they're physically the same tank....
getting rid of sludge is easy...use a pressure washer...yeah makes a mess
That sounds extremely vile.... Messy too.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
For everyone that's suggesting home heating fuel, it's not readily available up here.
Very few if any use that type of fuel around here.

Poly drums don't work very well to store fuel for us up here, our temperature and humidity swings make it collect moisture to easily and heavily.

You need to get a tank that has the ability to hold barometric pressure.
And filter the fuel coming out.
Pretreat it for algae so you won't have any issues.

I use a 100 gal semi side saddle tank with air and pressure regulation.
Not an issue lifting it with my old L3450.

A steel tank won't be that heavy.
A 100 galloons will go a long way to fuel a l2501.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
You can refit a 'home heating oil' tank with a new pressure regulating fill cap to maintain tank pressure and of course add a pump and filter to the other bung.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I want to lay in a store of diesel, at least 200 gallons. I’m looking at the big square metal storage/transfer tanks, but their weight plus fuel might make them too heavy for my B2601 FEL to lift down from the pick up bed after filling.

Does anyone know how well the poly 55gal. drums would hold up? I see several of them along with a mechanical pump serving fine, individually lighter and easier to transport.

I’m not interested in Safety Sallies, government restrictions, EPA or other excreta, just an objective, experience-based opinion about how well these inexpensive barrels will work for short and medium term storage.

Or, if you have proven alternatives.

Thanks!
I use the 55 gallon food grade poly barrels for storing both gasoline and diesel fuel. I add the fuel treatment when I refill each barrel. As long as you are able to store the fuel in a fairly stable temperature and in a dry place, you should not have problems. However, Wolfman lives in Idaho, as you do, and what he says about storage should be heeded. He has the experience in the climate you live in.

I use my BX1860 to unload the full fuel barrels from my pickup truck. I use pallet forks to do that task. 55 gallons of diesel fuel weighs about 375 pounds + the weight of the barrel + the weight of the pallet forks.

I have replaced the bung sealing gaskets with rubber O rings and the bung is sealed tight so air does not belled in or out of the barrel in between fueling the tractor.

Gene Blister

Equipment
2019 Kubota B2601, FAL LA435, Snow Blower BX2822A, Land Pride rear blade RB1572
Aug 4, 2019
Cocolalla, Idaho
Thanks again everyone for the insights. Since the harpie Celaeno has deigned to send me half a breadcrum in Economic Impact Relief I’m using the money to buy a proper tank and pump system.
Just for research, I’m also going to use one 55gal. poly barrel fitted with a pressure relief cap and the proper water and particulate filters, to see the impact moisture/temperature will have here in Northern Idaho, as Wolfman points out.

ATCavi8or

Equipment
LX3310
Apr 2, 2021
Tamworth, NH
Thanks again everyone for the insights. Since the harpie Celaeno has deigned to send me half a breadcrum in Economic Impact Relief I’m using the money to buy a proper tank and pump system.
Just for research, I’m also going to use one 55gal. poly barrel fitted with a pressure relief cap and the proper water and particulate filters, to see the impact moisture/temperature will have here in Northern Idaho, as Wolfman points out.
How or where would you fill a large tank or barrel? Do you just go to any station and pump into the container while it’s on your truck or trailer?

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca

Read #10