Logged in, but some threads show me logged out and can't log in.

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
So I'm having a strange issue with the forum. Some threads I try to open show me logged in and allow me to post and reply (like this one). Other threads show me as logged out. I refresh the page, still always shows me as logged out.

If i try to log in, it says " Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. "

Well, i specifically 'whitelisted' OTT and set my browser to accept ALL cookies from OTT. No improvement..

So, basically there are a lot threads I just can't post in, and I haven't noticed any pattern to which pages show me as logged in and which show me as logged out..

Any ideas?!

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
What browser are you using? Most likely it is a browser issue, and it is somewhere in the settings. There are lots of free browsers available, and give one of the others a try and see if you can duplicate the problem.

I noticed when I logged in this morning some changes to the "what's new" page. Possibly there was an upgrade that was performed, and that is the source of the problem? I do know that Xenforo has released some "fixes" to the software, but I haven't installed them on my forum as of yet, since I usually wait 30 or 60 days before making upgrades. I have found that when changes are made to the software that new bugs are found that also need to be fixed in the next release of "fixes".

Last edited:

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
My issues started over a week ago, but i haven't had enough time to spend on forums to get good and bothered about it until last night. I did just try it on old Internet Explorer on one thread that i remember not being able to access, and it worked.

I normally use Chrome and would prefer to continue doing so.. I may try doing a 'factory reset' to Chrome settings and see what happens. I don't understand the issue, but i don't think it's cookies related even though that's the message the forum gives me.

Thanks for the feedback.. will follow up.

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
Well here's the followup.. I changed nothing and this problem mysteriously resolved itself. :rolleyes:

Im a professional auto tech and i honestly hate it when that happens.. i like my stuff to work but as a diagnostician (although not of goofy browser issues) it irks me when something fixes itself and you still don't know why it was ever broke.. makes you think it's not gone for good. Oh well, i'm not gonna worry about it until it crops back up.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Don't use Chrome ( nuther story...) BUT... 'clearing cookies' can be troublesome ! If you clear ALL cookies ( the default), you'll need to reenter EVERY login/password/etc for EVERY site you visit. THAT can be a real pain if you do online banking, order stuff, use forums, etc.
I've used Mozilla Firefox for years and it can be setup to selectively delete cookies, same with 'history' info. Perhaps Chrome can do this as well ??

as for the 'magically' it works..... it could be that some program did an autoupdate and the OS rebooted and 'stuff got changed'.....

Reactions: 1 user