Loader mounted mower

tanuki

Equipment
MX5400 hst
Jan 11, 2021
cobden,il
Basically I'm looking for a brush hog that mounts to my loader. I'd be using a pto driven hyd power pak. The lane shark and trailblazer are a little small and I don't need to offset it or rotate it. I looked at some from MTL and SkidPro, they're about 900# which should be ok for the MX5400. I'm not trying to cut trees just use it like a brush hog. I'm worried that the operating load of those would over stress the loader frame. Anybody tried it or have any thoughts on this?

Tylere91

Equipment
M7060
Jan 20, 2022
Villa rica, Ga
I’ve been looking at doing the same with a custom home built pto driven hydraulic pump/reservoir and the mtl cutter since their distribution hub is local to me using this cutter

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Basically I'm looking for a brush hog that mounts to my loader. I'd be using a pto driven hyd power pak. The lane shark and trailblazer are a little small and I don't need to offset it or rotate it. I looked at some from MTL and SkidPro, they're about 900# which should be ok for the MX5400. I'm not trying to cut trees just use it like a brush hog. I'm worried that the operating load of those would over stress the loader frame. Anybody tried it or have any thoughts on this?
The way that my rotary cutter throws debris to the rear, I would hesitant to have a cutter in front of me.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Messicks has something on YouTube if you have not already seen it on this subject. I would call them if you cant get an answer here. Seems like a great idea. I operated a Steiner tractor with the front mounted mower and loved it. The deck weighed about 450 pounds and my rig was powered by a 21.5 HP kubota D950 engine. Worked great. Good luck.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Whose power pack are you planing on using? A popular one by Landpride needs a minimum of 52 pto HP and I do not think your tractor has that.

Hydraulic systems are inherently inefficient hence the high need for input power.

Dave

tanuki

Equipment
MX5400 hst
Jan 11, 2021
cobden,il
Whose power pack are you planing on using? A popular one by Landpride needs a minimum of 52 pto HP and I do not think your tractor has that.

Hydraulic systems are inherently inefficient hence the high need for input power.

Dave
Quickattachment has several that look good and would fit the MX5400

hedgerow

Jan 2, 2015
Malcolm NE
Before you spend a ton of money buying one and setting your tractor up to run one. Find someone that has one on a skid loader and run it for a day. A few years ago I thought about buying one to run on my 100 HP skid loader and after running one for a half a day I knew I didn't want one. Both people I know that had them has since sold them and are back using there bat wing mowers and three point mount mowers. If you try to run one on a PTO hyd pack you better set the hyd pack up with a cooler. Those mowers are like my tree saw that warm hyd oil right up.

Reactions: 1 user