Loader lift capacity

macminn18

Equipment
L3560
Jun 4, 2020
Land of 10,000 Lakes
Looking at 2 different tractors with different loaders. One is the L3560HSTC with the LA805 loader. The other is the B2650 with the LA534 loaeer.
My question is lift capacity. The LA805 says 1715, the LA534 says 1146. Total newbie, first tractor. How do I quantify what lift capacity is adequate for me? Typical moving rock, dirt, logs, etc. The L3560 is a new one, so almost $10k more. The B2650 is 3 years old

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
You are asking for us to help without giving us much info. If the only thing you are worried about is the amount of weight that you can pick up the answer is self evident.

Dollars to spend, cash vs payments with 0% interest, new vs old, big vs small, the amount of land to care for, your knowledge and experience are all factors when picking out a tractor.

I would go for the new bigger tractor unless it is to big for the tasks that you plan on doing for the next few years.

macminn18

Equipment
L3560
Jun 4, 2020
Land of 10,000 Lakes
Got it. Yes, my main concern is lift capacity. Only a couple acres, but lots of trees to take down boulders to move, dirt and class 5 to move and spread. Moving rocks/boulders/logs mainly. Concerned that the 534 may not lift enough.

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
Got it. Yes, my main concern is lift capacity. Only a couple acres, but lots of trees to take down boulders to move, dirt and class 5 to move and spread. Moving rocks/boulders/logs mainly. Concerned that the 534 may not lift enough.
When it comes to loader work I usually focus only on the items that simply cannot be done in more than one trip. All of the items you mentioned above could be done even with a b2601. Sure it won’t scoop as big a pile of dirt, but you can simply scoop twice and still get it done. Logs can be cut shorter. Look up GPOutdoors on YouTube, there is a video of him using a grapple to lift up a pretty big ash log. I’m not advocating buying a 2601, but just reminding that you can easily overbuy. All of these machines are super capable. The 10k price difference you mention could get you a grapple and a bunch of other useful attachments (backhoe to do stumps or lift rocks).

Anyways, the one thing you mention is boulders. How big are you talking? Those can’t easily be cut in half to make two trips. Remember, lift capacity is usually measured at the pin at max height. Often you can lift quite a bit if you only need to get it an inch or two off the ground. Another option is dragging them.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: lift 'capacity'..... I found out that's like MPG or WATTS....a real 'smoke and mirrors' thing.

capacity is what the loader frame closest to the tractor will lift.
so.....
you need to SUBTRACT the weight of the bucket,grapple, forks, etc.
THEN whatever's left , it might lift
BUT
only when the load is CLOSE ,real close to the loader frame.
for my BX23S, the manual says '700' # lift capacity but REALITY is maybe 350# and NOT very high.
If you have 'stuff' on pallets and using forks, the weight HAS to be real close to the loader frame,not 2' out,as on a skid....
With a grapple, you might be able to curl the log or rock back, don't know, don't own one.
Just be aware what 'they' say and reality WILL be different. If I were you, I'd have the dealer SHOW you what each will lift and carry. You can figure out what rocks or logs weigh(whatever YOU will be moving) and see which tractor WILL lift the load.

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
You've listed 2 totally different animals!!! 3880 vs. 2293 pounds. Have you thought about an L2501? 2623 pounds - you get a little bit of both worlds, heavy enough to handle a fair amount of weight but not so heavy that you would rut up the yard driving across it.

I normally recommend the smaller of the two choices, but when dealing with rocks/boulders. You do need more than the B size. Really how big are the rocks?

Attachments

RonBoyBX25D

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LP Grapple, Bro-Tek spacers, QH, Box Blade, Landscape Rake, RB, and 1560G
Aug 1, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
I went from a BX to a B2650, unless you have some big boulders the B will do what you are looking for. I would look at the 10K and pick up a grapple and other attachments. Where in MN are you? I work with Lano in Ramsey and they have been very helpful & honest answering my questions.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I have the L3560HSTC and as it was pointed out, it depends on the items you are picking. If you are picking items that you can make more than one trip, then all it is costing you is a little extra travel time. If you are needing to pick large items in one trip, then the greater load capacity will be needed.

Resized_20200530_104407.jpeg

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
Looking at 2 different tractors with different loaders. One is the L3560HSTC with the LA805 loader. The other is the B2650 with the LA534 loaeer.
My question is lift capacity. The LA805 says 1715, the LA534 says 1146. Total newbie, first tractor. How do I quantify what lift capacity is adequate for me? Typical moving rock, dirt, logs, etc. The L3560 is a new one, so almost $10k more. The B2650 is 3 years old
If your primary job is going to be loader work rent a Skid or Wheel loader it will save you time and money in the long run. Compact and Sub-Compact tractors with front end loader attachments are not made for heavy loader work.

Michael In Tennessee

Equipment
MX4800HST
Mar 14, 2018
Niota, TN
You only have 2 acres. That is less than my front yard! The smaller tractor should be fine. Trees can be cut to whatever length you want to get the weight down. Rocks: Depends on size. You really need to figure that out. You can always roll the big ones on a skid and skid them around.

I'd probably buy the smaller tractor and spend some of that $10k on a good grapple and a couple of other implements. The right implements make the tractor do work better than a "better" tractor alone.

Post some pics of the rocks. Here, the rocks are either manageable, or just a permanent part of East Tennessee.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
Double the loader model # and that's about how many lbs it can manage. So if your rocks are 1,068 lbs or less the LA534 can work them. If your rocks are over 1,610 lbs, the bigger LA805 is still not enough. Sometimes it's hard to weigh a rock so you'll have to guess. Of course, there's always explosives ;)

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Yep, bought the L3560. We're actively looking for some land around us as well. I appreciate the input
I know I really enjoy my L3560. It has proven to be a wonderful tractor and I have accomplished a lot with it. As it was pointed out, the attachments are what make the tractor useful. Good attachments make it a very useful tractor.