Like to know the story on this one...

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
These are large excavators. Bucket on one looks to be 32 or 36 inches.

Love to know more details. Link to article below the image. Pittsburgh area.

sunken excavators.jpg

L35

Equipment
L35/TL720/BT900/York rake/Valby chipper
Jun 13, 2010
CT
Vandalism maybe, guess will have to wait to find out...

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
gee... look at the river !!! Can you say 'high water table' ,'liquifaction' or that it WAS going to happen ??
In the foreground there's a LOT of timbers placed down as a roadway...and those are real small(young) trees.. all signs of 'trouble'. Have seen guys in BC,on TV, yank them out, bigger ones too....
NOt impossible to retrieve them, just open up yer checkbook !!!

Reactions: 1 user

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
Talk about digging yourself into a hole!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
yes overnight thing... if you park an excavator on 'muskeg', it'll sink down real fast, if there's a choochoo track nearby.....
vibrations from the 'clickity-clack' moves the miskeg 'soil' and down she goes....
The one totally submerged is probably a 'parts machine' .Would need total rebuild of engine,hydraulics and 100% all new wiring/computers. Up to the cab is OK..though MUSH simpler/easier to get her going again.....

orange crusher

Equipment
BX 2680
Sep 30, 2017
ontario canada
My money is on they were parked there and both ended up in overnight sink holes courtesy of the allegheny river

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
A lot of people hate paying for and dealing with insurance until… that.

L35

Equipment
L35/TL720/BT900/York rake/Valby chipper
Jun 13, 2010
CT
Can't imagine how vandals could cause the excavators to sink like that.

Wondering if everyone went home and found this in the following morning.
I figure the excavators were digging holes and someone came along and drove them into the hole. It don’t make sense for them to both be down in the hole like that.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
It's a scene from the new Disney movie, the Penguins of Cheswick. When evil developers start to wipe out the adopted home of Eva, the Russian Snowy Owl, Kowalski enlists the aid of the team to stop them -- by any means necessary.

While Private distracts the operators with his cuteness, Skipper and Rico steal one of the excavators. Unfortunately, they are spotted and the developers give chase in a second excavator. Skipper yells "Evasive Manouvers boys!" and they veer off the wood bridge Mason and Phil laid out over the swamp, and the excavator disappears from view in the mud.

The team quickly pops up out of the water onto the bank and Skipper tells them "Smile and wave boys, smile and wave" as the pursuing excavator falls into the same trap.

There. Is that enough of a story for you?

;-)

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
It's a scene from the new Disney movie, the Penguins of Cheswick. When evil developers start to wipe out the adopted home of Eva, the Russian Snowy Owl, Kowalski enlists the aid of the team to stop them -- by any means necessary.

While Private distracts the operators with his cuteness, Skipper and Rico steal one of the excavators. Unfortunately, they are spotted and the developers give chase in a second excavator. Skipper yells "Evasive Manouvers boys!" and they veer off the wood bridge Mason and Phil laid out over the swamp, and the excavator disappears from view in the mud.

The team quickly pops up out of the water onto the bank and Skipper tells them "Smile and wave boys, smile and wave" as the pursuing excavator falls into the same trap.

There. Is that enough of a story for you?

;-)
That would be terrific with Lin Manuel Miranda's music!

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
In Florida they dug 5 and 10 acre retention ponds in areas they were prepping for housing developments. They use the material from the ponds to get the land up above the water table.

I was driving past one of those ponds and saw a Komatsu PC 400 trackhoe with the boom sticking out of the ground.

Cab window was left open, operators seat was buried, and water was flowing through the cab.

Operator was one of those people that "Had been doing this for 20 years" so you couldn't tell them anything. New hire mentioned to him that he might want to reset his tracks. Operator gave him sh$t and attitude and kept on doing what he was doing.

Well 20 minutes later, he went to reset and the mud got him and he couldn't move. They dug around it and loosened up all the sand trying to get it loose.

Around 3:30pm, the afternoon gully washer came through and washed all that loose sand down on top of it. The next day, the sand was over the roof. You could only see the boom.

Took two weeks to get it out. Cost them $30k to get it out of the ground, and about $100k in damages to the machine.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
yes overnight thing... if you park an excavator on 'muskeg', it'll sink down real fast, if there's a choochoo track nearby.....
vibrations from the 'clickity-clack' moves the miskeg 'soil' and down she goes....
The one totally submerged is probably a 'parts machine' .Would need total rebuild of engine,hydraulics and 100% all new wiring/computers. Up to the cab is OK..though MUSH simpler/easier to get her going again.....
What gets me is why both those trackhoes were left off the mats. 🤔🤔🤔🤔 They sling new mats in front of them in any swampy areas around here and dig off the mats.

I wonder if they canned an operator and they went in after hours and moved the trackhoes.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
re: It don’t make sense for them to both be down in the hole like that.

See if you can find the 'Highway thru Hell' series episode where Al Quiring gets TWO BIG excavators out of the 'muskeg' next to the Fraser River. it took his 3 D9s, 2 days to get them out. He's the guy that said about the RR choochoos can vibrate the machines into the 'ground'. Makes sense when someone says it...a 'lightbulb' moment.

On another program, I fount out 100 years ago, the Fraser Valley was actually a lake. MAN 'reclaimed' it to live and grow on it...hmmm...

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Hard to know the real cause without essentially doing an investigation including site inspection and operator statements.

Have personally witnessed only one situation that bad. Many years ago working on a cable laying crew there was a young guy with a shiny new D7N LGP working nearby that was regrading a lot that had a little creek at the bottom; the kind of creek that was permanent but that’s about all you could say for it. We were all pretty enthralled by his machine that dwarfed our biggest 75hp Case ditcher and most of us hadn’t seen one of the high drive, triangle track crawlers as they were fairly new at the time. First day he filled in the creek and left around 5:00 with the crawler sitting near where the creek used to be. We all thought that was a bad idea and our crew boss, Pat, a crusty old ex-Marine and ex-convict who said maybe 10 words on a talkative day, told him he should move it away from the creek on his way out. The crawler operator told him to stick to cable plowing as he was clueless about dozers. Next morning we came back and saw the creek had exacted its revenge. The creek wasn’t fully back yet but there was a line of soupy mud where it was fighting it’s way back to life, the crawler was on its side about half buried in the soup. The now humble and very upset operator asked our crew boss if we could pull him out with the ditcher. Obviously the ditcher wouldn’t have pulled him out if we wanted to try, which we didn’t. Even if I could accurately quote my boss’s response it wouldn’t be printable here and if I took out all the expletives there wouldn’t be anything left. Our job took us on down the road. No clue how he got it out. All I know was it was still there a week later and the creek was flowing again by that time. If I’d just looked at photos of the mess he was in the first day it sank and knew nothing else, it would be pretty difficult to figure out what happened.

I sometimes wonder what became of Pat. Can’t recall his last name if I ever knew it. Learned a few things from him about complaint handling. People would sometimes get upset when we moved their mailboxes out of the way even though we always put them back. First guy that came out with a pistol trying to run us off, he sent me back to the van and the other three guys stayed out with Pat. Pat explained right of way laws calmly to him. Guy wasn’t buying it so Pat changed tactics, explained they’d all pulled time in prison and none of them minded going back so either take his pistol and go back inside or they’d stick it where the sun don’t shine and he knew he couldn’t shoot all of them before they did it. That worked. Complaint handling at its finest. Asked him after why he sent me to the van. He said very matter of factly, “Because you have a chance for a future. We don’t.”

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Hard to know the real cause without essentially doing an investigation including site inspection and operator statements.

Have personally witnessed only one situation that bad. Many years ago working on a cable laying crew there was a young guy with a shiny new D7N LGP working nearby that was regrading a lot that had a little creek at the bottom; the kind of creek that was permanent but that’s about all you could say for it. We were all pretty enthralled by his machine that dwarfed our biggest 75hp Case ditcher and most of us hadn’t seen one of the high drive, triangle track crawlers as they were fairly new at the time. First day he filled in the creek and left around 5:00 with the crawler sitting near where the creek used to be. We all thought that was a bad idea and our crew boss, Pat, a crusty old ex-Marine and ex-convict who said maybe 10 words on a talkative day, told him he should move it away from the creek on his way out. The crawler operator told him to stick to cable plowing as he was clueless about dozers. Next morning we came back and saw the creek had exacted its revenge. The creek wasn’t fully back yet but there was a line of soupy mud where it was fighting it’s way back to life, the crawler was on its side about half buried in the soup. The now humble and very upset operator asked our crew boss if we could pull him out with the ditcher. Obviously the ditcher wouldn’t have pulled him out if we wanted to try, which we didn’t. Even if I could accurately quote my boss’s response it wouldn’t be printable here and if I took out all the expletives there wouldn’t be anything left. Our job took us on down the road. No clue how he got it out. All I know was it was still there a week later and the creek was flowing again by that time. If I’d just looked at photos of the mess he was in the first day it sank and knew nothing else, it would be pretty difficult to figure out what happened.

I sometimes wonder what became of Pat. Can’t recall his last name if I ever knew it. Learned a few things from him about complaint handling. People would sometimes get upset when we moved their mailboxes out of the way even though we always put them back. First guy that came out with a pistol trying to run us off, he sent me back to the van and the other three guys stayed out with Pat. Pat explained right of way laws calmly to him. Guy wasn’t buying it so Pat changed tactics, explained they’d all pulled time in prison and none of them minded going back so either take his pistol and go back inside or they’d stick it where the sun don’t shine and he knew he couldn’t shoot all of them before they did it. That worked. Complaint handling at its finest. Asked him after why he sent me to the van. He said very matter of factly, “Because you have a chance for a future. We don’t.”
Those little creeks can rise pretty quick under the right conditions.

I've seen them go from 10ft wide, a couple feet deep and a little trickle. To 30ft wide, 8ft deep, and a raging river.

This was about 2 hrs after a gully washer passed threw the area.

It all depends on how many little trickles flow into that stream. 🙄🙄🙄🙄

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA