Lightweight Pallet Forks Advice Needed.

Rdrett

Dec 5, 2017
Paris Ky
Hello I have a Kubota L2501 With A LA525 loader.

I wanted to remove the 120 pound 66 inch bucket and install pallet forks.

I have a skid steer quick attach coupler on my LA525 loader.

I have already done a lot of research and I cannot find a light weight set of forks below 200 pounds.

I found these on amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Titan-Pallet-Attachment-Attach-Capacity/dp/B01EB89LLK/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1515096492&sr=8-9&keywords=titan+pallet+forks

At 229 pounds they are the lightest pallet forks I can find.
Do they make a set of adjustable forks that weight less than 200 pounds?

Most forks weighs around 300-400 pounds and I don’t want to lose 1/3rd of my capacity installing heavy forks.
I would like to get a set of forks around the same weight as the bucket but that appears impossible.
With the Titan forks I linked above I will only lose 100 pounds on my lift capacity and I am comfortable with that but I do not want to go any heavier.

Also I do not want a set of bolt on forks!

anavidi

Equipment
B2601
Nov 28, 2017
POWAY
The added weight of pallet fork attachment is the reason I opted for bolt on bucket forks. Good luck in your search.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
The first thing you need to consider is how much weight do you need to lift? At the tips?

I built myself a set of forks that only weigh about 100lbs. However, I designed them with a 500 lb weight limit in mind (actually, I figure they could lift 1000 lbs, but the tractor won't!)

If you envision unloading 1/2 loads of cinder blocks from the delivery truck, then you need something that can handle 2,000lbs or more and I can't see the steel that can handle it weighing less than 200lbs.

TRA

Equipment
B2601, LA434, BH70, LP BB1260
Dec 17, 2017
Rock Hill
Artillian makes the lightest set available, and it's a modular system so you can add other things to the fork frame as needed. All made in the too USA unlike some of the others being discussed here.

http://www.artillian.com/SSQA_PalletForkSets.htm
It would be awesome to have a set of pin on forks that interface with Ken’ bolt on clevis mounts. (That I just ordered a pair of.) :D

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
see you are in Paris KY...

if you want a set of titan clamp on's for dirt cheap... i'll sell you mine.

they work perfect, i just dont have the tractor they were on anymore.

flyidaho

Equipment
L 3301 HST
Feb 28, 2017
IDAHO
The added weight of pallet fork attachment is the reason I opted for bolt on bucket forks. Good luck in your search.
I had a pair of home made bolt on (to the loader bucket) forks for my 2105 that were pretty handy, and they didn't cost me anything. But when I bought the new L3301 and got up to speed on the QA feature, I bought a QA forks specific setup, if for no other reason that the load is now closer in then when using forks bolted to the bucket. That would seem to maximize the capacity, it all depends on your need I guess. I also really like the feature I have now, where I can slip the forks off, and use just the QA frame with it's built in 2" receiver feature, super handy for all kinds of picking and moving things around.

anavidi

Equipment
B2601
Nov 28, 2017
POWAY
I had a pair of home made bolt on (to the loader bucket) forks for my 2105 that were pretty handy, and they didn't cost me anything. But when I bought the new L3301 and got up to speed on the QA feature, I bought a QA forks specific setup, if for no other reason that the load is now closer in then when using forks bolted to the bucket. That would seem to maximize the capacity, it all depends on your need I guess. I also really like the feature I have now, where I can slip the forks off, and use just the QA frame with it's built in 2" receiver feature, super handy for all kinds of picking and moving things around.

My dealer talked me out of getting the quick attach bucket and forks in favor of some gearmore bucket forks. He said the quick attach system and pallet forks add a bit of weight and cost significantly more than the clamp ons. Made sense for my use, I don’t do a ton of pallet fork work.

If I already had the QA system then I’d for sure get the QA forks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
My dealer talked me out of getting the quick attach bucket and forks in favor of some gearmore bucket forks. He said the quick attach system and pallet forks add a bit of weight and cost significantly more than the clamp ons. Made sense for my use, I don’t do a ton of pallet fork work.

If I already had the QA system then I’d for sure get the QA forks!

Wow, sorry to offend but your dealer is crazy and his doing his customers a disservice with that advice. Adding a good set of forks changes the way you work, they are not just for “pallets”.

Arlian

Sep 10, 2017
Coopersburg, PA
I was curious of what the standard bucket on my new L3901 weighs and couldn’t seem to find it online, so I called Kubota customer support and after some searching, she told me it weighed 265 lbs. This is the reference number I have been using for my front end implements. Hope this helps.

Rdrett

Dec 5, 2017
Paris Ky
I was curious of what the standard bucket on my new L3901 weighs and couldn’t seem to find it online, so I called Kubota customer support and after some searching, she told me it weighed 265 lbs. This is the reference number I have been using for my front end implements. Hope this helps.

You are correct and I misunderstood. My bucket weighs 120 kg 265 pounds.
I thought it was 120 pound and I got very weak because I cannot budge the bucket when unhooked from the FEL. I was wandering how I got so weak!

This really opens up a lot of options for me.
I now realize that a set of forks below 300 pounds will work great for what I need to do!

Attachments

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
There is the extra cost and weight of the locking quick attachment. The QA pushes your load out front an extra 3-4" (?) inches, which reduces what you can lift. Also, the bucket itself looks to have more metal for the receiver than the bolt on bucket.
I think there is only extra weight and distance if a QA adapter is inserted between the two, no? It should be negligible for an OEM solution.

As for pushing the load out, bucket mounted forks seem to push the load out a lot further -- pretty much the full depth of the bucket, a foot or two.

anavidi

Equipment
B2601
Nov 28, 2017
POWAY
Wow, sorry to offend but your dealer is crazy and his doing his customers a disservice with that advice. Adding a good set of forks changes the way you work, they are not just for “pallets”.
No offense taken! The solution provided by my dealer fit my needs perfectly and saved me approximately $1500, which to me is significant.

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
No offense taken! The solution provided by my dealer fit my needs perfectly and saved me approximately $1500, which to me is significant.
Understood, that is significant for sure. But to play devils advocate here, if your dealer orders the loader from Kubota with the SSQA carrier and the QA bucket already installed for his stock, then the cost is SIGNIFICANTLY less. Since he orders them with the pin-on buckets, now the customer has to buy the SSQA carrier and a new bucket if they want it. Dealers do this so they can advertise the lowest price on packages-or because they are just misinformed.

Suppose one day your needs change and you need some good forks or a grapple? Your cost to play goes WAY up.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
just got notice that Titan is offering 10% off. No, they aren't the greatest quality but for light duty under 2,000 lbs, they should be fine. Free shipping too.

just thought I'd mention it.

anavidi

Equipment
B2601
Nov 28, 2017
POWAY
Suppose one day your needs change and you need some good forks or a grapple? Your cost to play goes WAY up.
This is an excellent point, I spent a few weeks before purchase thinking about this exact thought. There's no way of knowing what my needs will be in 3 years only my best guesses. I figure when (if ever) I need a lot of forklift work I'll buy a forklift.

TRA

Equipment
B2601, LA434, BH70, LP BB1260
Dec 17, 2017
Rock Hill
Buy once cry once.

It seems to me there are simply three choices:

1. The sub $200 clamp ons. Good for light and occasional use and not for any real work. Just a get by tool. Good for a hobby farmer or homesteader.

2. $400 medium duty QAs. Real tools for real medium duty work. Gives you some adjustment, puts the load back closer to you, and can lift a reasonable load. Good for light Ag and building work.

3. $800+ professional quality. You can add a grapple for heavier land clearing and maintenance jobs. You get a solid, level, square, and tough set that will last decades. It will save you hours here and there, letting you do tougher jobs with ease. The grapple alone could save you a ton of work too.

Assuming you plan to do tractor work for 20+ years, it seems to me the best you can afford gives you the most reliable and solid tool for the longest period of time. Amortize your decision based on that.

Last edited: