Lever to raise the 3-point hitch question

Evad

Equipment
L3301
Apr 2, 2022
Redmond, WA
Why do I have to move the lever to raise the 3-point hitch to 5 out of 10 just to get it to lift even slightly off the ground? Is this normal? Can I adjust something to make it lift off the ground sooner? Seems odd that the first 4 positions do nothing....

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
I would imagine the linkage can be adjusted. Just beware of overdoing it.

It's possible that if you adjust things so it starts to lift as soon as you move the lever that you'll run out of travel with the lever at full lift because the hitch hits the stops. You'll hear the hydraulics squealing if that happens.

Another downside of getting the adjustment too "tight" is that it will be more difficult to make small adjustments like when grading.

There should be a happy medium tho.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Why do I have to move the lever to raise the 3-point hitch to 5 out of 10 just to get it to lift even slightly off the ground? Is this normal? Can I adjust something to make it lift off the ground sooner? Seems odd that the first 4 positions do nothing....
normal

ayak

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301 HST
Feb 16, 2018
WV
Agree-normal—but also consider which hole you’re using at the other end of the top link (on the tractor side) and also your top link adjustment itself.

**edit—assuming you have an implement attached.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Normal here too.

What difference does it make in practical terms?

If you get full range of movement that is. I do...just starts at about the 4 position and ends at the top position.

Granted the resolution is not as much as if movement started at the 1 position. But it has never been an issue for me...

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
On the B2601, its between about 6 and all the way up. Seven or 6 1/2 position is normally where I run the brush hog. It will go down lower if you go over a ridge with the "hog" downhill.

On the B2601, there's another hole in the lift arms to allow it to raise higher. I could use this to help get the WC46 up on its dolly. May try it and see if what the different "low" setting would be, but it could allow my QH to bump my toolbox.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Seems odd that the first 4 positions do nothing....
Are the first 4 positions not necessary to control the depth of ground-engaging implements? How else would you set the depth of a furrow, etc.?

Evad

Equipment
L3301
Apr 2, 2022
Redmond, WA
Agree-normal—but also consider which hole you’re using at the other end of the top link (on the tractor side) and also your top link adjustment itself.

**edit—assuming you have an implement attached.
Thanks everyone. Sounds like this is normal and I wont worry about it. Also it just occurred to me that I had the top-n-tilt installed so that could also be the reason why I dont see any action at all until the lever is raised above 5.

Thanks!