LED lights

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I’m thinking about installing Led lights on the canopy of my MX6000. A eight inch flood/spot bar facing forward, and a 4 inch work light facing the rear. I have easy attachment locations under the roof of my canopy to do this. My question relates to wiring. I can buy a wiring harness for the lights that includes a switch, fuse, and direct battery connectors. But I’m wondering about the stubbed out factory wires under the fender that are designed for work lights. If I splice into these wires, can I avoid the battery connections, fuse and switch? On my old JD, I used the factory connectors and it was great. They lights activated when I switched on the factory headlights and shut off with the ignition switch. Will the Kubota factory connectors do the same? Is there a Kubota wiring connector built for this, or go I just use generic connectors and electrical tape? Thanks for any information you can provide.

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
I'm not sure about your tractor but my BX "probably completely different" had the stubbed wires out the back and I just tapped into those with a relay and my own switches and they work great. They work with or without key on. I'm sure someone will chime in before long but while you are waiting have you YouTubed it? Surely find something there!

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Yes you can use the stubbed wires. They usually prewire those from the factory for the extra work light kits you can get installed. They will already be on an adequate fuse unless you put some monster light on them. Double check the current of the light to be sure it is in spec of the fuse on the lights circuit. I saw no reason to have them on a separate switch or circuit.

The Kubota connectors (at least on my M62) were standard butt splice connectors.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I would go bigger light bars front and rear. Use the under fender wiring for the control/switch side of a relay, and a fused constant power from the battery cable connection at the starter for the load (light) power circuit to the relay.

Reactions: 1 user

OrangeKrush

Equipment
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
I would go bigger light bars front and rear. Use the under fender wiring for the control/switch side of a relay, and a fused constant power from the battery cable connection at the starter for the load (light) power circuit to the relay.
Basically what I did, wanted power to them without having key on and without having factory lights on when not needed. Switched to control which lights I need and don't need.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Basically what I did, wanted power to them without having key on and without having factory lights on when not needed. Switched to control which lights I need and don't need.
The BX has constant power to the work light connector? I used the work light circuit for my control side on my L because it was switched power with the key. Didnt want the lights to come on without the key on. Got 2 little ones that will play on it 🤣 not uncommon to turn the key on and have every light on.

edit to add- my set up is likely over complicated for what it is 😂

Last edited:

OrangeKrush

Equipment
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
The BX has constant power to the work light connector? I used the work light circuit for my control side on my L because it was switched power with the key. Didnt want the lights to come on without the key on. Got 2 little ones that will play on it 🤣 not uncommon to turn the key on and have every light on.

edit to add- my set up is likely over complicated for what it is 😂
Yes constant power to them.. I have the main switch for front lights mounted under the seat hidden but reachable while sitting on it. And the two rears are switched off of it separately at each light.

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Lots of good information here. And I’ll also check out the TBN link. I really want the lights to work only with the switch on and when I turn on the Kubota lights.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Yes you can use the stubbed wires. They usually prewire those from the factory for the extra work light kits you can get installed. They will already be on an adequate fuse unless you put some monster light on them. Double check the current of the light to be sure it is in spec of the fuse on the lights circuit. I saw no reason to have them on a separate switch or circuit.

The Kubota connectors (at least on my M62) were standard butt splice connectors.
Did you use a switch for the lights or do they work with the tractor light switch?

rovalin

Oct 14, 2021
USA
That's not something I would do on my MX-6000. No, I don't know why. I haven't ridden a motorcycle too long. But I figured out that it would be a terrible idea. The light you get from the LED lights is aimed directly at yourself, not at the road. That means you have to turn your head back to see where you're going. Otherwise, you'll only see the stream of light that comes from your light. It looks different on the road. I would recommend experimenting with https://www.amazon.com/smart-light-bulb-bulbs-color/dp/B0922Q43LY/. These bulbs may give you more control over brightness.

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
My BX23S has BOTH live and switched power available via 'bullet' connectors,power are the female, ground is the male.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
That's not something I would do on my MX-6000. No, I don't know why. I haven't ridden a motorcycle too long. But I figured out that it would be a terrible idea. The light you get from the LED lights is aimed directly at yourself, not at the road. That means you have to turn your head back to see where you're going. Otherwise, you'll only see the stream of light that comes from your light. It looks different on the road. I would recommend experimenting with https://www.amazon.com/smart-light-bulb-bulbs-color/dp/B0922Q43LY/. These bulbs may give you more control over brightness.
My light is mounted to the canopy and is high enough to be aimed directly at the road ahead.

Attachments

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
My light is mounted to the canopy and is high enough to be aimed directly at the road ahead.
That looks really good. Did you consider at all about the light bar on the rops? I assume you have way better lighting the way you mounted. I looked at the make model you shared and it looked like I could mount that shade with my light bar on the rops as is…I still have not decided…I am flip/flopping about it. Anyways the way you mounted looks clean/factory. Nice job.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
That looks really good. Did you consider at all about the light bar on the rops? I assume you have way better lighting the way you mounted. I looked at the make model you shared and it looked like I could mount that shade with my light bar on the rops as is…I still have not decided…I am flip/flopping about it. Anyways the way you mounted looks clean/factory. Nice job.
I didn’t consider the light bar on the Rops because I thought it would be diffused by the canopy. I did need to add a piece of flat steel to the underside of the canopy to mount the light.