LED lights not working on L3800

MRivers

Equipment
L3800
Feb 3, 2021
Utah
Hi, looking for some advice. My front canopy LED lights have stopped working. The rears still work and the front light switch shows it is powered, blue illumination on switch, but the lights wont come on. I noticed a while back that sometimes I would turn them on and had to jiggle the switch a few times. I looked at the fuse box but couldn't find a fuse for them (?) and all the fuses in the box tested clear. Thoughts on where I should look next? I would look at the switch but the fact it is powered on confuses me. I also don't know if there is a separate fuse for them? Any advice welcome as my first tractor and I am no mechanic so have exhausted my immediate response toolkit of ideas.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Hi, looking for some advice. My front canopy LED lights have stopped working. The rears still work and the front light switch shows it is powered, blue illumination on switch, but the lights wont come on. I noticed a while back that sometimes I would turn them on and had to jiggle the switch a few times. I looked at the fuse box but couldn't find a fuse for them (?) and all the fuses in the box tested clear. Thoughts on where I should look next? I would look at the switch but the fact it is powered on confuses me. I also don't know if there is a separate fuse for them? Any advice welcome as my first tractor and I am no mechanic so have exhausted my immediate response toolkit of ideas.
Since the switch responds to a jiggle says that's the first place to start...maybe something is loose.

jnschnit

Equipment
B2601, BH70 BH, LA435 FL, RCK60-32 MMM, BX2763 Blade, ZD1011
May 10, 2013
newark valley new york
You may have power to the switch, but the switch could still be bad. If you have a voltmeter you could check the output of the switch.

MRivers

Equipment
L3800
Feb 3, 2021
Utah
Since the switch responds to a jiggle says that's the first place to start...maybe something is loose.
good point and will look to take the cover off tomorrow and look at it assuming I cant reach under and find anything

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
An illuminated switch is actually two circuits in one. The illumination light has a LED which has its own ground connection to the switch. The canopy light portion of the switch may have failed.

Pull the wire going to the canopy lights at the switch and apply battery power to that wire. If the canopy lights now work you need a new switch.

Dave

MRivers

Equipment
L3800
Feb 3, 2021
Utah
An illuminated switch is actually two circuits in one. The illumination light has a LED which has its own ground connection to the switch. The canopy light portion of the switch may have failed.

Pull the wire going to the canopy lights at the switch and apply battery power to that wire. If the canopy lights now work you need a new switch.

Dave
ok I did not know that and will play with that tomorrow , many thanks as that would explain why one works and the lights don't

MRivers

Equipment
L3800
Feb 3, 2021
Utah
You may have power to the switch, but the switch could still be bad. If you have a voltmeter you could check the output of the switch.
thanks and all advice points to the switch being faulty so let me look at it and see if I can get the lights working without the switch i have a solve. I do have a voltmeter so will use that too

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
And you can buy a cheap test light to see where you get 12 volts like this or use a voltmeter.

MRivers

Equipment
L3800
Feb 3, 2021
Utah
And you can buy a cheap test light to see where you get 12 volts like this or use a voltmeter.
thank you, this forum is really helpful , appreciated

JohnMackenzie

Equipment
B6200, L3901, LA525, BH77, MK Martin 60" Mower, Agrotrend C60, ect.
Oct 7, 2020
Ontario
I'm no electrical expert by any means, but on my l3901 (very similar to your 3800) it has no auxiliary electrical connections or dealer installed lights other than the rear work light, when you bought the tractor did it already have the lights installed on it? If so and assuming that you bought the tractor used it could be that the previous owner wired the lights either without a fuse or with an in-line after the switch, if done properly there would probably be a relay that the light switch actuates. My best guess would be 1. A hidden fuse 2. Bad switch 3. Bad relay 4. Possible ground fault 5. Poor connection. Because you said you had to jiggle the switch I would start there. Again I only have a working knowledge of electrical but definitely not an expert in it, I would check all the connections between the switch and the lights, and the switch and the power source, trace the wires if you can, if there's a relay or fuse in the line, then power to the switch wouldn't really tell you a whole lot because of the internal wiring to the led inside the switch, I can draw a crude wiring diagram and post it if what I'm saying is a little confusing but it could be any of those mentioned above or even the far less likely, both lights crapped out at the same time

MRivers

Equipment
L3800
Feb 3, 2021
Utah
I'm no electrical expert by any means, but on my l3901 (very similar to your 3800) it has no auxiliary electrical connections or dealer installed lights other than the rear work light, when you bought the tractor did it already have the lights installed on it? If so and assuming that you bought the tractor used it could be that the previous owner wired the lights either without a fuse or with an in-line after the switch, if done properly there would probably be a relay that the light switch actuates. My best guess would be 1. A hidden fuse 2. Bad switch 3. Bad relay 4. Possible ground fault 5. Poor connection. Because you said you had to jiggle the switch I would start there. Again I only have a working knowledge of electrical but definitely not an expert in it, I would check all the connections between the switch and the lights, and the switch and the power source, trace the wires if you can, if there's a relay or fuse in the line, then power to the switch wouldn't really tell you a whole lot because of the internal wiring to the led inside the switch, I can draw a crude wiring diagram and post it if what I'm saying is a little confusing but it could be any of those mentioned above or even the far less likely, both lights crapped out at the same time
they were already installed and you could be right as I cant find a fuse for them but I will start with the switch and work from there to try and follow the wires to the lights. it shouldn't be to hard as the wires look like they feed from the switch then under the "dash" to run around the drivers seat effectively . will look at it in the AM and see what i find. many thanks

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
John is right, the lights were added by somebody. The canopy and leds are not from Kubota. Not saying it wasn’t dealer installed but there is something added to it somewhere

Reactions: 1 user

MRivers

Equipment
L3800
Feb 3, 2021
Utah
Hi all
I took the advice and started with the switch. turns out one of the three connectors was loose i suspect, also tightened the earth points and they work now
small win but glad I could fix it and again thanks for all the advice ! without the advice I wouldn't have looked at the switch given it was illuminated
great forum
Mark