LED light upgrades

mtnplower

Equipment
Kubota L5740
Jul 15, 2022
Sierra Nevadas
has anyone added KC Hilites, Rigid or Baja Design LED lights to their tractor.

I installed the cheapy amazon LED lights BIGLIONX lights, they worked for a few days and then stopped working.

I need high quality lights for my night time work, can the tractor's electrical system handle any of these?

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Good Grief! I’d Never spend $500-$600 for lighting!

I do a lot of nighttime mowing and use 22” LED Lightbars which cost a FIFTH of that…and have been fantastic for 5 years so far without any sign of quitting.

The LP9 Pro alone pulls 9 Amps. You’d probably need at least 4 and maybe 6 to get the same light as from two LIghtbars…and that would be too much drain on the typical 40 Amp alternator.

Amazon is no different than any other retailer as far as quality goes. You get what you pay for and buying the lowest priced items will get you the lowest quality item. I suggest you return the failed item for replacement or simply purchase better quality items.

Reactions: 1 users

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Check out Diode Dynamics. Reasonable priced, great warranty, many USA made options.

Reactions: 2 users

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I have Maxxima MWL42 that were less than $50 each. Been using them on tractors since 2012 with very good results. No reason to use spot pattern lights on a tractor. You need floods to light the area near the tractor. It isn't like you're doing a midnight Baja run.

• Haha

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I have a friend with an Allis D17. He has an old tractor, so he got some solar powered, LED, with motion detection and put two on the from of his tractor. He said they work good. No wiring required, no switch, work as soon as the tractor begins to move. I thought it was an ingenious idea. Has one on the back also.

Attachments

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

mtnplower

Equipment
Kubota L5740
Jul 15, 2022
Sierra Nevadas
I work in blizzard ccond
Good Grief! I’d Never spend $500-$600 for lighting!

I do a lot of nighttime mowing and use 22” LED Lightbars which cost a FIFTH of that…and have been fantastic for 5 years so far without any sign of quitting.

The LP9 Pro alone pulls 9 Amps. You’d probably need at least 4 and maybe 6 to get the same light as from two LIghtbars…and that would be too much drain on the typical 40 Amp alternator.

Amazon is no different than any other retailer as far as quality goes. You get what you pay for and buying the lowest priced items will get you the lowest quality item. I suggest you return the failed item for replacement or simply purchase better quality items.

I use the tractor for snow removal during blizzards so visibility is extremely important

Chad D.

Sep 21, 2019
Eugene
I’m a huge lighting nerd and have a special place in my heart for Baja Designs products. Not only are they the top tier for quality, the company stands behind them like no other in the market.

That said, I have no need for LP-9’s on my tractor! I did just put a solid canopy on my B2650 and have two pairs of Squadron Sports with clear work/scene lenses. I’ll have two forward and two rearward, attached to the canopy bolts underneath. Pretty much one at each corner.

I’ve been using BD long enough to know their quality and value. On my daily driver Tundra, I have a 30” OnX-6 with amber driving combo lens mounted in my lower grille. It’s An amazing piece! I also have Squadron Pros in the fog light pods with amber wide cornering lenses. Incredible for their size. S1’s with clear wide cornering lenses are flush mounted in the rear bumper for reverse lights. Finally, I have a new 40” S8 with clear spot lens that will go in my hood bulgein the next few weeks. Between that and the OnX-6, it’ll be pretty well lit out front….

I’ve also got a third pair of Squadron Sports with work/scene lenses that I’m figuring out wheee to put them. Either on the back bumper of the travel trailer to help get into spots later in the evening, or on my ZT mower….

Lights of quality are not cheap. Just like everything else…. Use a good set and you’ll never go back to Amazon China bars!

Reactions: 1 user

Chad D.

Sep 21, 2019
Eugene
Is there a point to your comment?
Different values for different folks. Without beating anyone up too much for not knowing the differences between quality lights and other options that can’t compare, I’d liken it to the differences between professional level tools and those that you may find at Harbor Freight. Yes, they’ll get it done for a while and with decent results. But you will not find many people that use their tools daily that are happy with their Harbor Freight ratchets.

Some people simply cannot accept that others have different values and choose things that don’t align with what they think is best. It’s a narrow mind thing…

Chad D.

Sep 21, 2019
Eugene
has anyone added KC Hilites, Rigid or Baja Design LED lights to their tractor.

I installed the cheapy amazon LED lights BIGLIONX lights, they worked for a few days and then stopped working.

I need high quality lights for my night time work, can the tractor's electrical system handle any of these?

I’d recommend smaller options than these due to the power requirements. All good lights, but likely more than you can power reliably.

Have You considered some Squadrons? Incredible output for their size, and either a wide cornering or work/scene lens would be great or dumping a ton of light into the actual area you need it, rather than 1/4 mile down the road with a narrow beam.

Snowing or other inclement weather? Recommend amber lenses. Less light bouncing back at you. Also, too much light can glare if it’s really coming down…

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
I leave for work at 5:30 AM and the community driveway that is 1/2 mile has to be done before I leave. I want LIGHT so I can see. Have the bar on the front with 4 more of the little ones on each corner. Yes the Code3 warning light was overkill, but a freebie out of a Railroad truck from work.
1678242632790.png

Reactions: 2 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Different values for different folks. Without beating anyone up too much for not knowing the differences between quality lights and other options that can’t compare, I’d liken it to the differences between professional level tools and those that you may find at Harbor Freight. Yes, they’ll get it done for a while and with decent results. But you will not find many people that use their tools daily that are happy with their Harbor Freight ratchets.

Some people simply cannot accept that others have different values and choose things that don’t align with what they think is best. It’s a narrow mind thing…
Your right. Look at yourself in the mirror!

Express what you prefer, but don't need to put others down because they don't do what you do.

Chad D.

Sep 21, 2019
Eugene
Your right. Look at yourself in the mirror!

Express what you prefer, but don't need to put others down because they don't do what you do.

Apologies! Re-reading my post, it came out a bit harsher than I intended. My response was driven by the PT Barnum reference, which was likely something along the lines of "There's a sucker born every minute." I don't feel that spending good money on good lights is any different than buying high end tools, tractors, cars, homes, whatever... I felt that was a narrow-minded jab.

What I should have said is: Cheap lights are ok, but good lights are amazing. Like many other things in life, good is not cheap, and cheap is not good. It's up to the individual consumer to determine their own "value point" is. Could be anywhere on the spectrum.

Sorry if I ruffled feathers there. I try not to do that, but don't always proofread everything I write...

Reactions: 3 users

Knuckle_Head

Equipment
Kubota L6060
May 5, 2023
USA
Im a huge BD fan. Have 4 LP9s on my truck. I think they would be too much on a tractor. They put out enough light to blind my with just the reflections of street signs and they throw light waaaaay farther then I need in the Kubota.

I put a 10" S8 with a Specialty Mods bracket for the front and then 4 XL sports (2 facing to the side and 2 rearward) and it is just the right amount of light. I too do most of my blowing in the dark and several corners on my driveway slope off with little room for error.

The 10" bar and rearward lights I just removed the stock lights and wired them into the existing wires, and the side lights I had to wire to a separate switch as I didn't want to over load the tiny wires they use for the stock lights the tractor came with.

I dont have a close up of the lights, but if you zoom in you can see them. As a bonus, you can see my LP9s on my truck.

1686081656213.png

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Put me in the camp of more light is better, and better quality light is better yet.

I've been a fan of VisionX products for many years ever since my friend in Hawaii told me about them. He has a successful towing and recovery business there running very large equipment such as rotator trucks, cranes, etc., and will only buy VisionX products. He's a dealer for them so I get a bit of a discount from him which helps. I have VisionX headlights and a lightbar on my Jeep TJ, a VisionX lightbar on my F250, and VisionX headlights on the M1078. If they offered headlights for the F250 I'd have those too. They are high end lights and overkill for the tractors, but boy they are good lights.

A few years ago when I wanted to add a lightbar to the BX I ended up buying a 7" Hella light from Amazon. It was great for the three or four years I had it and it's still great for the friend (and Kubota dealer manager) who bought the BX from me. Given the positive experience with that Hella light I bought three sets of Hella LED "cubes" over a year ago from Amazon but have yet to install them on the tractors. I'm forming/welding up steel tubing to run from mirror support to mirror support to give me something to mount the lights to.