Leaks.....

Blkvoodoo

Equipment
B2400, LA352, RC60, Cammond Box Blade
Mar 27, 2010
Zebulon NC
Gotta love it !!

put the mower deck on yesterday, mowed my yard and the neighbors yard, damn, this thing lays a nice swath !! cuts pretty nice for a big lawn tractor.....

Woke up today, went out to start a list of "needs" for the tractor, fluids, been thinking about a quick hitch, and a draw bar to put a trailer ball on to move our trailer and camper around.

Noticed oil on the cross bar for the front of the mower deck, and the gravel under was wet, this is just under the center pivot for the front axle. it appears a thought the seal for the front drive shaft into the axle has decided not too....

....and further poking around reveled a wet area at the back of the clutch housing, it appears the seal for the drive shaft to the trans is leaking as well.

how bad it is leaking has yet to be determined, it seems as there is no service point for this area, nor does it appear easy to get at.

So, to replace the seal on the clutch housing, would be cause to split the tractor ( not something I am ready to do yet, my shop is a freakin mess )

has anyone delt with this before ? I'll pull the hood and the fuel tank to access the top of the housing first. see if I can determine how much fluid has been lost. ( gear lube ? UTD ? )
The front axle appears to easy enough to deal with, but I'm really not wanting to deal with the clutch housing.....yet..

words of wisdom ?

Butch

Equipment
Kubota 2410, RC60-24B, FL1000- kubota hydrolic front snow blade- plug aerator
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
Dude... we need more detailed info. How many hours on the unit? Give us pics of the problem areas... Also give us model and serial numbe of the tractor and implement... from this we can perculate ideas for a solution to your delima... Butch:D

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Kevin,
I'm sorry to hear about the leak and I sure hope it isn't something too much. I am going to take a stab but I think you must have at least 1220hrs on the tractor already. Am I close?

I absolutely got a kick out of this line you said....
( not something I am ready to do yet, my shop is a freakin mess )
Aint that the truth? No matter what happens, life is always on the fast track and it's one more project in the work shop after another and each one is just as important as the last.
There are no breaks for a good wrench :cool:

Scott

Blkvoodoo

Equipment
Mar 27, 2010
Zebulon NC
Dude... we need more detailed info. How many hours on the unit? Give us pics of the problem areas... Also give us model and serial numbe of the tractor and implement... from this we can perculate ideas for a solution to your delima... Butch:D
B2400HSD ser# 74767 I suspect built in '97-'98ish , I do not know the year for sure. 1186hrs at this time. ( missed it by > < that much, Scott !! )

looking in the parts manual, the seal for the "propeller shaft" between the clutch housing and Trans seems to be the most logical reason for the leak.

once I pull the MMM I'll try and get a few pix of it later today.

handyman

Equipment
Kubota B7100HST-E
Sep 18, 2009
Dayton,Tn.
Going to ask a stupid question. I have a mmm on my 7100 make sure it not the seal from the pto coming out of the mowing deck trans. housing and slinging the 90 weight oil all over the place. Some times if the gearbox on top of the deck the seal where pto shaft comes out will leak and throw that oil everywhere. Hope thats what it is it will be a easy fix. take top plug out of the mowing deck and see if gear oil seeps out if it doesnt fill it up and watch it.handy

Blkvoodoo

Equipment
Mar 27, 2010
Zebulon NC
View attachment B2410HSD (dragged) 1.gif.zip
View attachment B2410HSD !.gif.zip
looking at this picture, the shaft between the clutch housing and the trans , where the shaft enters the clutch housing, there is a seal, this is where it appears my machine is leaking fluid. this picture doesn't show the seal, but the parts manual I have does, the seal is $7 , the work to get to the point of replacing the seal will take longer than actually replacing the seal.

http://www.colemanequip.com/ModelParts.asp?ModelID=218&pc=28977

item 050 seal, is where my front axle is leaking, again, a relatively cheap part, just somewhat time consuming.

I suspect that age and LACK of use has played a large part in the failure of these parts.

I will probably pull the fuel tank and dash in an effort to access the top of the clutch housing, see if there is a way to check/fill the gear case ( appears to be a reduction gear off the clutch for the propeller shaft to the transmission)

Last edited:

handyman

Equipment
Kubota B7100HST-E
Sep 18, 2009
Dayton,Tn.
Sorry for your leak hopefully someone that has done this before will jump in .The seal on my mmm r60 was leaking throwing oil up on transmission and off front of deck. when I looked at mine and checked the oil in the box on the mower deck that seal was leaking that is where I was hoping yours was. :(Looks like yours is not that easy of a fix.handy

Blkvoodoo

Equipment
Mar 27, 2010
Zebulon NC
Thanks Scott, your link made me poke around on my junk and figure it out ( I don't do many conversions, let alone .PDF )

I was able to upload the files as .gif in a ZIP, my goal was to NOT loose the integrity of the picture size, so folks could see WTF I was talking about. I hope I was successful at that.

Handy, I wouldn't really call this troubling, it's just something to add to the list of things to do, "Honey Do" work arounds if you will.....

It's a used machine, i'd be crazy not to expect finding problems on an aged machine.
Much like used cars, you find all sorts of neat quirks.....I'm still working thru issues on my 4Runner I acquired last year, found out in Feb when it snowed, ( and the first time I used 4wd for more than 20ft ) my front axle ratio is different than the rear. Gotta love it !! ( 3.90 gear in front, 4.11 gear in the rear )

traildust

Equipment
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Kevin, the attachments came across just fine. Looks like a nasty job.

With your 4runner, what did it do in 4wd with the different ratio's on the front and back?

I have a 96 4runner and if I didn't have a good conscious I would drive it off a cliff and collect insurance. It's a V6, underpowered POS that needs as much attention as a kid with a.d.d.

Scott

Blkvoodoo

Equipment
Mar 27, 2010
Zebulon NC
Kevin, the attachments came across just fine. Looks like a nasty job.

With your 4runner, what did it do in 4wd with the different ratio's on the front and back?

I have a 96 4runner and if I didn't have a good conscious I would drive it off a cliff and collect insurance. It's a V6, underpowered POS that needs as much attention as a kid with a.d.d.

Scott
My junk has been recked in the past, so it has other issues anyway, the 4x4 mismatch caused it to pull hard to the right ( partially due to the steering rack not being properly centered ) as long as I was on snow pack, I wasn't too concerned about it. enough tire slip that there wasn't any real danger. just glad I found out about it in the snow.

Is your '96, manual or auto, how many miles ? the 3.4 is actually a pretty good engine power wise compared to the former 3.slow . there are a few things you can check that would help a lot.

Mass air flow sensor, CLEAN IT , us a MAF cleaner, do not stick anything in the MAF, you will damage the fine elements inside. clean throttle body and intake, spark plugs, these engines actually use a specific plug, the electrodes are different than what you are used to, a regular style plug will work.....for awhile, then performance drops off. O2 sensor, if you've got more than 150k on it, it's time to change it, O2 sensors ARE a service item. they will start to react slow over time, again hurting performance.

traildust

Equipment
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Hi Kevin,

My 4runner is an auto with the 3.4L. You are right that it does have more power than the older 3.0 vze. That is what I have in my '91 4wd manual pickup. That thing I love, bought it brand new and have about 230,000 miles on it. At around 60,000 the head gasket blew and Toyota did all the repairs since it was a recall issue. It's no race car for sure and I don't treat it like one but it really shines when 4 wheeling. Never abused and always babied.

The 4runner has about 140,000 miles and it's a hand down from the in-laws about 3 years ago. Ever since they bought it they said they were having its routine service done by a Toyota dealer. I always told them I would do it at cost for parts but they didn't want to trouble me. That was there mistake that I am now paying for.

Not long after I took possession of it the engine started missing and was throwing a code. Auto Zone scanned it and found #6 was not firing. Off to Toyota I go and buy plugs and wires. That's when I found out the plugs are "special" and there are three coils banked on the right side. As you know the plugs are heavy duty and actually fire twice: one for itself and the second when it's sister on the other side gets zapped. Kinda funky but I guess it's a smog thing trying to make sure there is nothing left in the non firing cylinder.

When I was removing the old wires I found out why #6 was bad. It's the one on the left most aft and a bear to get to as a bracket has to be removed. Gained access and the #6 wire and plug had never ever been replaced, the cable end that goes waaaaay down there was damaged and gave up the ghost, finally came apart. I had to use long needle nose plyers (storks) to get the connecting boot out.When I removed the plug it was in VERY bad shape.I could tell by inspecting all of this that it was original. My in-laws were getting taken and payed for something that was never done.

New plugs and wires now everything was just fine for about a year. Then the engine started missing again and tossed another code. This time I purchased my own scanner since I saw a trend coming. Now it was #4 cylinder not firing. Son of a BITCH! Pulled plugs and wires and all was good. Next on my trouble shooting was the injector. This baby is buried deep under the intake plenum on the left side. Pulled the EEC connector and rang out the injector wires from there. Every one of them, except # 4 checked good on required ohms. #4 was open. Off to Toyota again for more parts, this time lots of more $$$$'s :(

Pulled everything to gain access and replaced the injector and all was good again. Then the next time it rained the thing kicked out another code! This time the engine doesn't miss and I checked it witht the scanner. It's an O2 sensor. Strange thing is it only happens when there is moisture in the air like fog and rain for sure. I think there are two sensors on this, one before the convertor and one after. Since it only happens with moisture I'm guessing it might be exposed wire somewhere. We have bad rodent problems that get in and chew wires. I haven't dug into it since it only happens in fog or rain. I'm gonna have to start troubleshooting it though because I'm due a smog check in May before I can register it again.

The first time I changed the engine oil I noticed the filter was not Toyota. It looked very cheep, not even a Frahm. I believe the reason my Toyota pickup has gone so many miles with no troubles is I always use OEM parts, no ifs and or butts. I know what a Toyota filter looks like a mile away and the 4runner didn't have one.

There is the shielding pan that needs to come off for access to change the oil and almost all of the fasteners were stripped out. I have serious doubts a Toyota dealer mechanic would have done all this hack work, but still my in-laws swear they always took it to one.

By the way, my Toyota pick up is down right now because a rodent chewed the knock sensor wires. That's going to be fun since the it's installed right in the "V" under the intake manifold. Using a mirror I can see the chewed wires but can not access them with out pullin the top side. Now comes the decision of pulling the heads and have them done while I have it all apart. One thing alwasy leads to another and not always in the most favorable way.

Sorry so long of a post :eek:

Scott

Last edited:

Blkvoodoo

Equipment
Mar 27, 2010
Zebulon NC
I've been partial to Toyotas for many years, on my 3rd 4Runner, ( 1st, 2nd and 3rd generations ) my first V6. have had several Toy 4wd trucks, '82, '84, '87, all 4cyl. , wife has an '07 Camry SE, and I work on the Orange forklifts....

I picked up my current '97 last spring as a project, is a 5spd 4wd, 160k, fairly clean, but it has been wrecked twice, both rather minor, but enough to have carfax/autocheck hits. could care less, unless it completely craps out, I'll keep it for awhile.
the gearing issue was found AFTER I rebuilt the rear axle, it had 4.11 gear in the rear when I tore it down, I replaced it with same. didn't really know there was a 3.90 option at the time. Oh well, it's a non issue, I have a replacement front drive unit I'll swap in at some point.

I use factory filters on my junk, as they are easy for me to get ( I stock them on my service van ).
While you are digging around on the 3.4, tighten the valve cover bolts, mine were all loose, valve covers leaking oil, have replaced the "easy" side gasket and tube seals, haven't had the time to pull the intake to do the other side.
actually looking for a small tandem axle trailer to haul my other " 'ota" on, I think set up properly ( trailer brakes), the Runner could handle it.

I seem to be stuck on Asian iron.......Domo Arigato.....

traildust

Equipment
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
I seem to be stuck on Asian iron.......Domo Arigato.....
HA! Mr. Roboto :D

Well Kevin, it sure sounds like you know your Toyota's and now I know who I'm turnning to when I need some advice!

Funny you mention the valve covers since the hard to get to one starting seeping last year on the pick up. Not much but any amount bugs me. Of course that will be addressed when the knock sensor gets taken care of.

I'll be sure to look over the 4runner covers when I get back in there.

Thank you for all your input on the yota's. When I get to it I'll let you know what I find on the O2 sensor.

Take care,
Scott