Leaking valve stem.

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
I had just finished moving 2 boulders and had parked the M when I heard hissing from the front left tire.
It is leaking around the base of the stem where it exits from the rim.
The stem itself looks undamaged so I am wondering what might have happened and what I can do about it.
The tires are R1's and are not loaded.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
You could have impacted the stem with something or the valve insert is loose, you need to check it with a stem tool to make sure it's tight. If it is the stem, a replacement is in order. If I were you, I'd have it done by a tire person. Those wheels (and tires) can be a bear to handle. When I have tire issues I call the tire shop and they come here.

Problem with a larger tractor, tire issues grow with the size of the unit.

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
You could have impacted the stem with something or the valve insert is loose, you need to check it with a stem tool to make sure it's tight. If it is the stem, a replacement is in order. If I were you, I'd have it done by a tire person. Those wheels (and tires) can be a bear to handle. When I have tire issues I call the tire shop and they come here.

Problem with a larger tractor, tire issues grow with the size of the unit.
Flip, The stem is all metal, looks like the one in the other front wheel and is still tight in the hole.
I don't know if it is a tubeless or tubed tire but I am guessing they are original stems.
They are also 2 piece, meaning I can unthread the top half with the core in it and the bottom half remains in the rim and it has an open end that I suppose would be used to add ballast.
Being the fronts and unfilled I probably can move them. It is the loaded rears that would be a problem if I had to move them

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
So, Steve, my friend and all around mechanic/welder/heavy equipment operator etc. said I should use a new metal stem.
I pulled the wheel and will take it to him tomorrow. We'll break the bead on one side, pull the old stem and see if there is any damage inside the wheel .
I can't get a new stem till Monday so my tractor time has ground to a halt

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
So, Steve, my friend and all around mechanic/welder/heavy equipment operator etc. said I should use a new metal stem.
I pulled the wheel and will take it to him tomorrow. We'll break the bead on one side, pull the old stem and see if there is any damage inside the wheel .
I can't get a new stem till Monday so my tractor time has ground to a halt
Any good tire shop should have a stem to put in your tire. It is not a dealer item. The shop should put it in for $20 or so. Then get back to work (play).

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
So much for a new valve stem, the tire has a tube in it!
And a slice in the tube with no obvious point of entry in the tire:oops:
We inspected the inside of the tire and it is clean and smooth so at a loss as to how the tube was damaged.
Anyway can't get a tube till at least Monday if I can locate one locally.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
So much for a new valve stem, the tire has a tube in it!
And a slice in the tube with no obvious point of entry in the tire:oops:
We inspected the inside of the tire and it is clean and smooth so at a loss as to how the tube was damaged.
Anyway can't get a tube till at least Monday if I can locate one locally.
You should be able to get one at Cheever Tire in Bellows Falls or Pete’s Tire Barns in White River Junction.

Palmettokat

Equipment
M6800, B2710, L6060, Volvo 5 ton excavator and implements.
Apr 21, 2020
South Carolina
Could it have been a split in the tube where there was a joint? It could have been sliced in some odd way before being installed or even as being installed.

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
Could it have been a split in the tube where there was a joint? It could have been sliced in some odd way before being installed or even as being installed.
I don't know but we also speculated that maybe with the low air pressure in the tire somehow the tube got folded and split at that place.

Reactions: 1 user