leaking cylinder

asgard

Equipment
B2301, 60 inch deck, 51inch blower
Oct 22, 2016
Ontario, Canada
I wondered if anyone else has experienced this problem.
I own a front blower for my B2301 and the quick attach mounting has a cylinder for the lift operation.
So, this unit is starting its 3rd winter season, it has had little use as in the number of lift and drop cycles compared to front loader cylinders. The unit is store over the offseason inside, the tractor is kept inside summer and winter, the cylinder is as new.
This year I mounted the unit, connected the pipes, and without moving the cylinder from its fully retracted position left it. The next day there is a pool of hydraulic oil under the mount, and it appears to be weeping from the cylinder seal. This is without pressure just gravity.
Has anyone else experienced this issue, I am apprehensive to leave it in case it fails in service.
I can get a seal kit and fit it but the question is why has it done this with so little use.
This is the second major issue I have had with this blower, the first being a catastrophic failure of the long shaft within hours of using it, the u-joint exploded.
I m now concerned with the quality of this item.
So, is there an issue with these cylinders or am I just unlucky, maybe I treat it too well. I will do the seal kit myself and may well be back for some pointers.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
From your description of the issue it almost sounds like rust formed in the cylinder from condensation during storage. When you replace the seals check for signs of rust in the cylinder.

To prevent such a thing happening in the future, if that is what happened, store the implement with the cylinder fully retracted so there is as little fluid left in the cylinder as possible.

asgard

Equipment
Oct 22, 2016
Ontario, Canada
Thanks, fully retracted in storage and misted with tool saver anti-rust. No visible rust on any part and the piston is clean and polished. If you disconnect the hoses it stops leaking.

orange crusher

Equipment
BX 2680
Sep 30, 2017
ontario canada
I own a front blower for my B2301 and the quick attach mounting has a cylinder for the lift operation.
So, this unit is starting its 3rd winter season, it has had little use as in the number of lift and drop cycles compared to front loader cylinders. The unit is store over the offseason inside, the tractor is kept inside summer and winter, the cylinder is as new.
This year I mounted the unit, connected the pipes, and without moving the cylinder from its fully retracted position left it. The next day there is a pool of hydraulic oil under the mount, and it appears to be weeping from the cylinder seal. This is without pressure just gravity.
Has anyone else experienced this issue, I am apprehensive to leave it in case it fails in service.
I can get a seal kit and fit it but the question is why has it done this with so little use.
This is the second major issue I have had with this blower, the first being a catastrophic failure of the long shaft within hours of using it, the u-joint exploded.
So, is there an issue with these cylinders or am I just unlucky, maybe I treat it too well. I will do the seal kit myself and may well be back for some pointers.

Same situation on mine this 3rd year. After using it several times up & down, it ceased leaking. Has not leaked anymore so far. I think the prolonged sitting may be causing it. Try cycling it several times and see if it helps.

asgard

Equipment
Oct 22, 2016
Ontario, Canada
Thanks for that suggestion, I did a couple of cycles when I mounted it then it leaked, and will exercise it tomorrow, hope for the same outcome as you.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Common issue after a period of non use and likely stored lying down.

Usually corrects itself as it is used and warmed up.

Dave

Reactions: 1 user

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Kind of like to old nylon tires, had to run them a few miles go get them back to round!

Play with it enough to get the hyd fluid warm, then extend and retract the cyl. slowly a dozen times.

asgard

Equipment
Oct 22, 2016
Ontario, Canada
It was stored in the same orientation as it is used, attached to the subframe. The consensus seems to cycle it a good few times and all will be OK, I hope so.
Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

Common issue after a period of non use and likely stored lying down.

Usually corrects itself as it is used and warmed up.

Dave

thebicman

Equipment
B2601 + BX2755HD + 50" box blade
Feb 2, 2017
Ottawa, ontario
Same situation as you. Third season of use and immediately started leaking. I have cycled it countless times and still leaking. Ordered a replacement seal kit from Kubota and will install when I get time. Strang how we all started to leak at the same time.

BX Woody

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, MMM, Bagger, Snow B
Feb 10, 2018
Canada
Hello everyone, same thing with myself. I have a bx1880 with 54” blower, used 2 seasons and attached it this year and the cylinder is leaking a pool of hydro on the floor. Hopefully getting the oil hot & exercising it will remedy it. There’s no way a 150hr grass cutter should have a leaking blower cylinder after so little use.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
If it’s fully retracted it has just as much fluid in it as it does fully extended ...but retracted will better protect the shaft from the elements.
(However, it always helps a little if when you park it for the season, ... walk away from it backwards while humming/doing the “hokey-pokey”).

asgard

Equipment
Oct 22, 2016
Ontario, Canada
Excellent suggestion GeoHorn, I think well researched with regards to the appropriate song and dance moves.
It is not surprising that the comments are from the northern areas but seems strange that the same issue should be related to the 3rd season, no conspiracy here but just saying.
This leaking issue should not happen on a well-made part, it is difficult to understand why a component that during normal snow clearing performs such a limited use activity should leak down. I t is not as if it can be overloaded like a loader.
The leaking when connected but without pressure is not what I expect.
I assume most owners do not try to damage or store incorrectly, and in most respects how can you store a hydraulic cylinder incorrectly, they are used in almost every orientation, be it under pressure or not.
I would be interested in gathering data on these issues and taking this forward to Kubota.
If you are interested in giving details of the model, cylider number and purchase date I would be happy to tabulate this and forward it to Kubota.
Thanks to everyone who has either commented or stated that they have had the same issue and to thebicman for the part cost.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
My repurposed 10 foot county plow with power angle sits outside in the side yard on blocks all spring, summer and fall and was kept outside it's entire life at the county garage as well and neither angle cylinder leaks a drop for me. As a rule, cylinder rams don't corrode anyway as they are hard chromed.

Maybe it will leak this year, who knows. Not enough snow yet to worry about it.

If a cylinder leaks, I'll replace it entirely, not that expensive.

BX Woody

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, MMM, Bagger, Snow B
Feb 10, 2018
Canada
Hello everyone, same thing with myself. I have a bx1880 with 54” blower, used 2 seasons and attached it this year and the cylinder is leaking a pool of hydro on the floor. Hopefully getting the oil hot & exercising it will remedy it. There’s no way a 150hr grass cutter should have a leaking blower cylinder after so little use.
Update: I’ve had to have a rag on the floor under the cylinder to catch the leaking fluid. The good news is that after using it 6 or 8 times it’s stopped leaking with the exception of the odd drop or two. Previously it would leave a 8 inch puddle

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
If it’s fully retracted it has just as much fluid in it as it does fully extended ...but retracted will better protect the shaft from the elements.
(However, it always helps a little if when you park it for the season, ... walk away from it backwards while humming/doing the “hokey-pokey”).
Wellllll, maybe not quite as much fluid.

The rod displaces a considerable amount of fluid when the cylinder is retracted. Depending on bore size vs rod size, it could be more than 50% displacement. The cross section of the rod is actually subtracted from the cylinder bore when calculating the retracting force of a cylinder. The cross section of the rod is square inches on which the pressure from the oil is completely ineffective. More cross sectional square inches on head end. I've seen cylinders that had only enough bore for the rod, e.g. a portapower ram. Most hydraulic bottle jacks and rams are built that way intentionally. Their sole intention is pushing. Others use the rod end for fluid storage, and can only extend as far as the amount of fluid in the rod end will push. A fully retracted jack with a 3" bore and a 1" rod will only extend out to about 2/3 of it's total cylinder length. This is an inherent safety feature of jacks that use the rod end for fluid storage. Cylinders expected to use the full stroke are naturally weaker when the rod is fully extended, and this is the most common position when cylinders do fail (bent/broken rods, cracked rod guide, blown rod seals, etc.) Given the same operating pressure and flow rate, cylinders will retract faster but pull with less force. They extend more slowly, but use the entire bore size so push much harder.

1614017189642.png

FJWills

Equipment
B2601-1 tractor with BX2822 snowblower, LA435 loader, RB1672 grader blade
Nov 26, 2022
West Windsor, VT
Just joined the forum to research this problem. 3rd year with a B3410 subframe for my BX2822 blower. Unit was stored for the summer in my dry garage. right after mounting it for the season it started to leak from the lift cylinder. I tried leaving it overnight with the blower raised, and that just made the leak bigger. Relieving pressure after turning the tractor off seems to lessen the leak. I will give it a chance to self correct as others have reported.

My Barn

Equipment
Kubota, Ford
Sep 14, 2022
Michigan
Check the cylinder for scoring on shaft...It will damage the seal and leak! We stored our Kubota outside with one cylinder needing replacement. One on the backhoe the swing cylinder which looked good but leak. No other cylinder leaks (FEL) or backhoe. It was outside for 10 years in the Great Lakes, both seats needed to be replaced.

Last edited: