Lawnmower junkyards

pigdoc

Equipment
G1800S L2500
Aug 19, 2022
SE Pennsylvania
I've been making the rounds locally, to find a deck for the Craftsman I want to dump.

Just how do you find these goldmines of goodies?

Here's a primer. Do some surfing on googlemaps, and click on "Layers" to get a satellite view feature.

Here's what a lawnmower salvage yard looks like, from a satellite:
1663288272281.jpeg

This one is called EZ-Pull, located a few miles east of New Ringgold, PA.
I was at this one yesterday. Found nothing I could use. But, I did see a Kubota T1700 there.

Here's where I was today:
1663288340711.jpeg

Greble Auto Parts, on Houtztown Rd, Myerstown, PA. I grabbed a nice clean mower deck here for $20. I'll post more on this later...

And, here's one I haven't looked at yet, only about 5 miles from my house, in Blandon, PA:
1663288551906.jpeg

So there you have it. Go do some surfing! And then, hit the yards!

-Paul

Reactions: 2 users

bbxlr8

Equipment
L2501 w/R14s, LA525, BH77, SGC0660, CL 5' BB, CL PHD, WG24 + Ford 1210 60" mmm,
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
Thanks for posting. I am in the region and have never heard of these. I have found some for my ford south & west of you but they believe all the parts are "made of gold".

Are these mostly small gas mowers?

Reactions: 1 user

pigdoc

Equipment
G1800S L2500
Aug 19, 2022
SE Pennsylvania
Are these mostly small gas mowers?
Mostly the cheap, consumer grade, big box store riding mowers. Once in awhile, you find a gem in there. I talked to a guy stripping an early Cub. Ten years ago, you could find quite a few square-hood Wheel Horses, and maybe a round-hood occasionally.

I really thought I'd find the 46" AYP deck I was looking for, but it's not a common one I guess...I did find a solid 48" AYP deck shell that I bought for $20, thinking I could swap the brackets and supports from the rotted out 46" over. But, I sold the tractor it goes on, and the buyer did not want the deck anyway. I'm giving it away to the guy near me who fancies himself a lawn tractor wrecking yard. He'll be tickled.

To haul the deck shell I bought the 200 yards back to the gate, I grabbed a 19" push mower deck with no engine, fixed one wheel quick and used that as a cart. Deck is magnesium. Have you ever tossed a chunk of magnesium on a bonfire? You want to stand back a ways...<evil grin>

-Paul

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Around me 42 and 46" AYP decks are real common, Had several here as 'Winter projects', weld decks, rebuild spindles, paint. When I was forced to downsize all went to scapyard (aka China), as ZERO replies to my $50 refurbed deck postings on Kijiji.
I can't figure out why someone would spend $2K on a new rider vs 50 to keep the good ,old beastie ??
Have a great Husq here with mechanical fuel pump,2 spare engines without...you'd think someone would like them ...?
crazy 'economy'...

pigdoc

Equipment
G1800S L2500
Aug 19, 2022
SE Pennsylvania
In my case, the decision to unload the "good, old beastie" was based on ergonomics. Wife loves to mow the lawn, and loved the Kubota G1800 we used to use. She hated the "good, old beastie" which was a 1997 Craftsman. Now, she has her Kubota back, and is very happy. Tell me what that's worth! PRICELESS!

BTW, the Craftsman was still in like-new condition, and I just sold it for $600. Gave away the decks yesterday. What I got in return from the guy I gave the decks to was a promise: "You need anything at all, just come on down!"

So, my net out-of-pocket to move from Craftsman clunker up to Kubota quality was about $900, including all transportation costs and mechanical work (mostly on the deck). Peanuts.

-Paul

Reactions: 1 users

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Too bad I cannot find a 'garden tractor recycler' near me (Richmond, VA).
I'd like to find a spare 46" deck and some body work for my 22 YO Craftsman that has 1020+ hours on it. Runs great and it would be terrific if I make can make it last until I go to the old folks home.
My push mower still starts, one pull. I bought it in 1980. A lot of sheet metal on it rusted out and I've pop-riveted patches on top of patches! But the Briggs engine runs great with nothing more than a new plug, air filter when I feel like it (and of course, annual oil changes).
I've been amazed at the number of people that buy a cheap (if $3K+ is considered cheap) garden tractor, do not take care of it and simply buy another new one after a few years when the blades are dull and the carb is gunked up from neglect.

Reactions: 1 users

Mrlunchbox

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2023 BX2380 loader/mower. Land Pride snow pusher, Kapteyn pallet forks
Nov 21, 2020
Southern Worcester County, MA
Too bad I cannot find a 'garden tractor recycler' near me (Richmond, VA).
I'd like to find a spare 46" deck and some body work for my 22 YO Craftsman that has 1020+ hours on it. Runs great and it would be terrific if I make can make it last until I go to the old folks home.
My push mower still starts, one pull. I bought it in 1980. A lot of sheet metal on it rusted out and I've pop-riveted patches on top of patches! But the Briggs engine runs great with nothing more than a new plug, air filter when I feel like it (and of course, annual oil changes).
I've been amazed at the number of people that buy a cheap (if $3K+ is considered cheap) garden tractor, do not take care of it and simply buy another new one after a few years when the blades are dull and the carb is gunked up from neglect.

I know huh? That happens way more often than you'd think.

Reactions: 1 user