Latest toy (tool) log splitter

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Finally got to split more than some test pieces. Wife & I split & stacked this this in maybe 40 mins.
The odd shaped pieces were from some "rounds" & "donuts" from an old oak that the power company took down, most were 30" dia or larger. Splitter worked great, but needs an improved throttle- it kept easing off till the rpm was too low to cycle the ram quickly.

IMG_0038.JPG
IMG_0039.JPG

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Finally got to split more than some test pieces. Wife & I split & stacked this this in maybe 40 mins.
The odd shaped pieces were from some "rounds" & "donuts" from an old oak that the power company took down, most were 30" dia or larger. Splitter worked great, but needs an improved throttle- it kept easing off till the rpm was too low to cycle the ram quickly.

View attachment 46858 View attachment 46859
Cool, but what's with the green spray paint?

Reactions: 1 user

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Cool, but what's with the green spray paint?
Used to be a lot of firewood stealing in the area, (mostly part-time homes) so the sheriff advised everyone to mark their wood with spray paint; a distinct pattern or color. That way it is easy to spot & identify if they see someone hauling marked wood. Since people started marking the wood, I think stealing wood quit all together. I never lost any, but know neighbors who have.
Also found pics of the "rounds & donuts"- knew I had pics somewhere.

Attachments

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Used to be a lot of firewood stealing in the area
I used to cut pulpwood - - 4 foot bolts (pieces). You'd stack it along roadside, which was usually a pretty remote spot. Could have piles 8 feet high and 200-300+ feet long if you had room.

Always painted the top outline of the pile to either discourage theft, or let you know you had some stolen.

I could never tell which... 😫

I did have someone take a little once. Probably just enough for a campfire.

Last edited: