Last Night's Storm

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Our soil was already saturated and then we got 2 1/2 more inches of rain last.
IMG_9439.JPG

Couple that with the wind and this 36"+ Red Oak let go. Hung up in the neighbor's tree.
IMG_9442.JPG

Another view. It will probably be July before it dries out enough to get to it. Yes I have a portable sawmill but there is also a need for firewood for myself as well as other family members, especially when it is this close. Right now it is just a mess. :(

Reactions: 1 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Ouch....thankfully didn’t hit anything or anyone.
Be careful getting it down when the time comes.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
geez how the heck... where do you even get started on that :(

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Saw a novel solution for the exact same situation on you tube, except it was a Ponderosa pine, probably a little taller. (can't find the link anymore:mad:)
Owner called in a big trackhoe that dug a little at the rootball where it was still in the ground, hooked a big chain to the base of the tree, and simply pulled the rootball out, & the tree followed until it was laying flat on the ground.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Our road just healed up enough the last couple days to get out there to do some clean up. While our trees aren't that large they do present quite the problem getting them down when they hang up like that. I did one last week and still have a few left to go. Sometimes I wish that saying having eyes in the back of your head was true. Just be careful because there ain't no stopping them when they decide to let go.

Reactions: 1 user

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Sounds like you know what you’re doing, but even having the equipment and experience, personally I don’t much like dealing with trees like that.

Looks like if you could get a rope in it up about where it starts to branch you might have a reasonable shot at getting it out of the good tree and stood back up before you cut it. If you don’t climb, the fishing rod with nothing but a lead sinker on the end, then pull up a piece of twine, then small rope, then big rope process would get it up there (assuming you’re pretty good with a fishing rod).

Anyway, sounds like you’ve got it as soon as the ground dries enough, but that still sucks any way you look at it.

River19

Equipment
B2601, RB1560, BB1260 and BX2830 blower
Sep 10, 2020
NH/VT NEK
That will be a fun one......of course there is work to be done just to see the damn base of that thing.....lots of greenery....

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I had a very large pine come down like that about 15 years ago, and I left it for nature to deal with. I had no intentions of even trying to get it loose. I will have to take a walk into the woods to see if it is still hanging in the tree. I suspect that by now, it has rotted enough that it is on the ground rotting away. After it came down, I could clearly see why the loggers didn't take it when they cut the pines. It was growing on the top of a large outcropping of ledge, and the roots were not very secure. The tree was fine when it was protected by all the others around it, until they were cut. Now, the price for standing trees is extremely depressed, and not worth the effort to cut them, but the price of finished lumber has gone crazy. I hope that once the border between the US and Canada opens, the prices will come down.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Funny how trees take a dead aim for the nearest fence. The more expensive and harder to fix the better.

Pity it's too big to pull it back to vertical with a crane and stake it.

my problem tree is much smaller, but still a problem.
4B76FECA-06A5-45AD-916A-EF628DF551D4.jpeg

Last edited:

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Smaller would be better because this Oak is 40"+ at stump height. It will be July before it gets dry enough back there to do anything. Can't even do much walking back there and we have more rain forecast for almost every day this week. Well, it is April.

A large excavator on the stump side would be the best option but that probably will not happen. It will probably get a bucket truck removing the top limbs which should let it fall on down.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Smaller would be better because this Oak is 40"+ at stump height. It will be July before it gets dry enough back there to do anything. Can't even do much walking back there and we have more rain forecast for almost every day this week. Well, it is April.

A large excavator on the stump side would be the best option but that probably will not happen. It will probably get a bucket truck removing the top limbs which should let it fall on down.
I would have guessed maybe 14" diameter...when you say 40" do you mean circumference? If so not that big...might be more useful as firewood, since you need some.

If 14" diameter, and if you can get the tractor on the other side, maybe you could put a chain on it (long one) and pull it down that way?

I hate hung up trees!

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
No, 40"+ diameter and probably 60' to the lower limbs and 20" diameter there. This is a very large tree.