Landscaping suggestions?

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Our driveway was filled in and raised up to 10' when we built our house. In one bank area we planted low growing evergreens that eventually covered an area 50' long and 8-10' wide. The last two years the deer killed them.
I have started to rip them out - much easier with a toothbar than a chain :) Now I have to decide what to replant there. 1st priority - deer resistant. I have been thinking about a shrub or tree line along the driveway on the top of the bank and some flowering plants filled in below them. Maybe Skip Laurels. . .
This is a mostly shaded area and we are in growing zone 6.
Have you done something similar?

Here is a pix of area

driveway_bank_before.jpg

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
I'm assuming that you're looking for something rather low maintenance?

Along some highways they plant some type wildflowers for soil retention. I cannot remember what they are called but they are hardy and rather aggressive with expanding their area, but this can be controlled with some 2,4-D along the border of where you want them to stop. I thought someone mentioned what they are on this site.

This might be an option

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Schip Laurels. These are privacy shrubs that grow fast, they are evergreen, and they are 100% deer proof. Hardy, can grow in full, partial, or no shade. They flower in spring, smell great. Did I mention deer proof :LOL:

They aren't the cheapest hedge, and are best planted about 2.5 feet apart. I wish I discovered these like 10 years ago. I planted about 45 cypress trees that the deer have made a mess of. But they wont touch the laurels.

Planting them is very easy, dig small hole, I drop them in with a little topsoil and done.
The ones below get half sun half shade, but I have another dozen in the middle of the woods under the canopy, full shade, they are doing great. Their only limitation is my checkbook.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
B737, the Skip Laurel I mentioned I think is the same plant :) there are several names for it from what I've read

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
yes. i didnt see you mentioned them in OP until after i posted. dont think you could go wrong. Around here they are usually about 3 for ~$100

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
in addition to Schip Laurel, you could use it's cousin the cherry laurel (Otto Luyken). It wont get as tall, roughly 3-4 foot tall and can get 6-8 feet wide.

One other that I've had a lot of success with is red tipped Photinia. It grows pretty fast, has red leaves in the spring which will turn dark green. It retains it leaves in the winter and can tolerate zone 6 if it's out of the cold wind. Deer will NOT touch it. It can actually be toxic to them.

Reactions: 1 users

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Thanks DD
I did look at an article 'what's the diff between the two laurels'. I just have to be sure its deer resistant :(
In looking at it we really don't need a 'privacy hedge' as the woods is behind it. That pix was taken from the perspective of our front door. I think the Cherry Laurel sounds even better for that app.
ty!

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Thanks DD
I did look at an article 'what's the diff between the two laurels'. I just have to be sure its deer resistant :(
In looking at it we really don't need a 'privacy hedge' as the woods is behind it. That pix was taken from the perspective of our front door. I think the Cherry Laurel sounds even better for that app.
ty!
I would consider Otto Luyken highly deer resistant. I've planted many of them when I had my landscaping business for that reason as well as remaining green all winter. The leaves will roll up a bit when its really cold and can suffer some wind burn in unprotected areas.. But, it looks like they'd be partially protected in your pic. They do well in almost any soil as long as it isn't heavy clay.

Had a house in the poconos in the middle of 400 acres of woods, deer never touched the two plants I mentioned. YMMV ;)

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
You all got the fire lit in me to get it done :) I just came back from the nursery. Unfortunately using either Laurel varieties they discourage.

They do not stock them but can get them in a day or two. However they tell me the survival issue in our area is iffy. Sometimes just some damage, sometimes none and sometimes you lose them completely. Unlike anything they recommend, they won't guarantee them :(

They did show me some interesting spreading varieties. I did buy a version of one of them already and they are doing quite well, something I'm not known for - successful planting.

So in the end I ordered 3 different types. Too bad though, you really had me going on the Cherry Laurel. The Schip Laurel is just too tall for this application. I have to bow to the local expert's knowledge tho.

Thanks for the input!

I started ripping out the dead shrubs as soon as I got back. The toothbar is great, the grapple would have been greater !

planting driveway bank 2.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
wow made short work of the old shrubs! you are becoming a green thumb ct :)

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Ok. Sorry bout that. I don't have any cherry laurels at this place.

I just took a quick pic of the Photinia I have in front of my porch. Deer proof.

Photinia 1.JPG

Photinia 2.JPG

In case anyone notices...the bottle in the upper left hand corner is a carpenter Bee trap. I HATE those critters.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
those are really nice! is the red always there or just during bloom?

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
They stay red from spring thru summer, then change a bit to dark green in fall/winter.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
That seems to be a prominent position with regards to being viewed from your house. Last year I was in a similar circumstance and was quoted $9,000 to landscape a section similar in size to yours. Youtube emboldened , I set out with my engine powered backpack sprayer filled with concentrated toxic week killer purchased from Home Depot. After two applications applied a week apart the hillside had been rendered lifeless. Step two; Weed wack and apply landscape fabric. Step three; I had 10 yards of mulch delivered. Applying with a pitchfork is better than a snow shovel ! (lesson learned from neighbor). Step four; Add big rocks and plants. It looks really great and is not entirely planted yet. Looks like a professional landscaping job. Mulch is to landscape as makeup is to a clown. Totally transformative and inexpensive. Thats what I recommend. Very low in maintenance thus far. Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Dirtydeed I also mentioned the photinia to them but they said it grows taller than I mentioned I was looking for (4-5') and it was even more susceptible to the cold in this area. Too bad its a great looking plant.

JimmyJazz I have also learned to appreciate the hiding qualities of mulch. I have had 12 yds delivered twice and it looks like I'll need another 12 before I'm done. I use the bucket to drop small piles strategically placed and then rake it out. Takes some planning so I can get to all the areas :)