Landscaping Implements

Gene Blister

Equipment
2019 Kubota B2601, FAL LA435, Snow Blower BX2822A, Land Pride rear blade RB1572
Aug 4, 2019
Cocolalla, Idaho
Here in Northern Idaho we are the beneficiaries of Pleistocene glaciation-soil filled with rocks sized from pea gravel to a Volkswagen.

I’m looking for a “rock bucket” that can skim down say 4” - 6” and scoop up loose stones brought up by cutting paths, making foundation pads and other earthwork.

I also want a “tree stump digger” to act as a poor mans backhoe for the Volkswagens.

I’ve seen such things at KMK Attachments and the like - pricey until I think of the alternative, endless stooping and picking. Anyone have experience with such tools and the way I intend to use them?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Both a stump bucket and a rock bucket will be close to worthless for your needs.

The stump bucket will pop out rocks about the size of a basketball and not much more.
It will also work your B really hard, even on stumps, which up here have roots the size of a Volkswagen bug too.

Just the weight of the rock bucket will be more than your B wants to lift, they are just too heavy.
I've never seen one made that is light enough to work well on a small tractor.

Sorry If it sounds like I'm just poo pooing your thoughts, but I do know this area really well!

FYI: My land up here is 99% fine sand... we don't have any rock, except the rock we haul in from friends places that have rock.

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
Don't think rock buckets are good digging tools. Used as sorting/screening tool. Something like this scarifier to break up, loosen soil first. Removing every other tine on landscape rake should sort out rocks 1 1/2"+.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
There are a number of lightweight rock buckets, land pride makes one at 230lbs.
Wolfman is right that your B series has limitations but I also agree that a scarifier is a good idea. I have the model shown above but use it on a much bigger tractor.

A lot depends on your ground conditions. I suggest break it up first then use a light weight rock basket. If you have a lot of acres like this you may need to find another solution or get help of a bigger machine.

For a light weight stump bucket go to pallet forks.com, do not buy the heavy duty model your FEL will not handle it.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I've seen rock burying implements. If you have a lot of land you're doing this on, perhaps get a guy in with one of those? Seems like a more efficient way to end up with soil you can grow grass in than using a rock bucket to manually sieve all your land.