Land Pride production and site down due to ransomware attack.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I've been checking Land Pride's website periodically today in the hope of getting some specs on an implement along with a manual but it's been down all day. When I stopped by the local dealer they told me that Land Pride's production and website are down due to a ransomware attack. These attacks are getting to be ridiculous.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Kind of a shame, it’s just a matter of time until everyone is hacked. Seems like everyone should be spending more effort on what to do once you/your company is hacked to recover.

Reactions: 1 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Kind of a shame, it’s just a matter of time until everyone is hacked. Seems like everyone should be spending more effort on what to do once you/your company is hacked to recover.
It's bad enough that their website is down, but to have production grind to a halt because of this is ridiculous. I don't know what's being done but this is getting to be a real problem.

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
We need some parts for a syringe bagger at work. My buddy said the OEM was hacked by some ransomware attack. The OEM paid the attacker and now all the part prints are corrupted and unusable. OEM got screwed over twice!

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I really mean this - For some of these serious hacks they should kill the hackers.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
while you're at it, deal with the IT 'pro' that installed the busness's system that ALLOWS outside access.Really, 'production' computers don't need net access, yes 'order' computers do, but an internal protected LAN ,would easily allow all computers to talk to each other without net access.
I put this in the same catagory as 'lost my hardrive' boohoohoo. Old school says to have a backup HD ,on the PC, and 2 flashdrives,minimum. Having offsite( NOT 'cloud') backup is a bonus.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
. . .
I put this in the same catagory as 'lost my hardrive' boohoohoo. Old school says to have a backup HD ,on the PC, and 2 flashdrives,minimum. Having offsite( NOT 'cloud') backup is a bonus necessity.
fixed it for you GreensvilleJay :)
The hard core old school says if its not backed up offsite its not backed up.
I used to tell my kids you don't have to back up anything you don't mind reentering.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
while you're at it, deal with the IT 'pro' that installed the busness's system that ALLOWS outside access.Really, 'production' computers don't need net access, yes 'order' computers do, but an internal protected LAN ,would easily allow all computers to talk to each other without net access.
I put this in the same catagory as 'lost my hardrive' boohoohoo. Old school says to have a backup HD ,on the PC, and 2 flashdrives,minimum. Having offsite( NOT 'cloud') backup is a bonus.
Pretty near impossible to run any kind of modern manufacturing today without net access, and that is running in a single location - multi location is a nightmare. Modern machinery and controls are a lot more reliant on backups and updates than the old punch tape days.

Many systems today have a "dongle" attached or software built in so it can't run without an outside server lookup (just one tiny example).

ROFLMAO - Even in the Yukon, one of the gold rush boys had a new pump that stopped running because it couldn't get an update from the manufacturer. The entire job came to a hault due to no wifi lol.

The problem is good IT security is expensive and a pain in the ass. The management doesn't want to spend the dough and the employees don't want to deal with the hassles.

I totally agree with shooting them, but then my "bar" for shooting criminals is pretty low.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
We need some parts for a syringe bagger at work. My buddy said the OEM was hacked by some ransomware attack. The OEM paid the attacker and now all the part prints are corrupted and unusable. OEM got screwed over twice!
For 3 years I had to take the box of tapes (now drives) home from the DC every night (full box). We move most of the backups around electronically now, but we still have 3 drives that get changed daily and removed from the facility for core stuff (DNS/server config/switch config etc). Nothing like clean data sitting un-powered in a box for peace of mind.

In DC talk, you don't have a redundant backup until there are at least 3.