• Spring for CUT - it's still justified

Votes: 10 47.6%

• Total voters

Bitbanger

Equipment
BX or B01
Apr 11, 2021
MidAtl
Hey folks - for years I have jokingly said (but seriously meant) "I want enough land to justify needing a real tractor". (By real I meant like L3901 frame size).

Well we've been planning/saving to buy a place for the last year and finally pulled the trigger last week, offer accepted. It meets all the needs that are truly important (good schools, safe place to raise kids, space for a garden etx) but the one box it didn't tick was the acreage I had hoped for. Just wasn't in the cards, and if you've been looking to buy recently you know the market isn't exactly brimming with options to choose from. 1.2acre is still a nice piece of property, but guess I'm here to express a little sadness that I can't really justify an L, or even a B01 or LX series really... In fact I need a mower more than I need a CUT/SCUT. If anyone could understand where I'm coming from I figured it would be you folks!

Has anyone been in a similar situation? - their dream was a bigger tractor but practicality set in and they realized something smaller made more sense? Maybe hearing that it ended up being the best choice in the end for you would help dull the pain. ;)

Thanks for listening.

For background the property is mostly flat, cleared. Trees lined along two property lines, handful of trees on the property itself, blacktop driveway. The most I'd need the tractor for now is landscaping, gardening, plowing the meager 50' driveway once a year, but that's about it for *needs*. It seems a shame for something larger than a BX to be sitting in the garage 80% of the time for just those simple needs. I did consider a MMM but for the cost I'd rather just have a dedicated mower. So for now SCUT are still on my radar...BX26S, potentially RK or Kioti for the value, just nothing bigger.

Last edited:

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
It’s a really long story as to how I got in the situation but yeah, I’ve been in a similar situation, just one or two notches up. When I bought my L4701, due to that long backstory, I really wanted to set minimum size at 75hp and ideally get 90 to 130. Problems with bigger tractor: would have had to build another shed for it; none of the implements we already had would fit it; implements would be more costly; all trails would have to be widened; some desirable trees would have to be cleared from one of the fields we need to brush hog. Bottom line, it just didn’t fit. Even the M5400 that was sitting beside the L at the dealership was too big. The goal was to maintain the property, not totally rearrange it.

After 200 hours on the L, yeah sometimes I still wish I had gone just a size or two bigger. But then I get it in a tight spot mowing or working down in the woods where it just barely fits and I’m very glad I don’t have bigger.

So I’d still suggest get the biggest thing that fits your use, but there is such a thing as too big and that can be just as detrimental to usefulness as too small.

Reactions: 1 user

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I do have an L, but I also have a bigger place than you. To future proof my scenario, I would have bought an MX5400 with Cab.

However, I would have spent money that I can invest. With the stocket market the way it is right now, and used tractor values staying the way they are, I decided not to trade cash for a larger tractor “for just in case”. I can’t go quite as fast, and know I can’t lift as much. But, the L has advantages as well.

You can always buy a bigger tractor later after being at your new place for a while. Assuming you have a mowing deck, and attachments for your current tractor, you can still a lot of work with it.

Good luck with your decision.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I do feel your pain and for a long time was in yoru shoes. I found out bigger isnt always better, and the BX, while some call it a fancy lawn mower, served me just as well on my small parcel, as a big boy would have on a BIG PLACE. And yes you can get all the same things for a BX as you can for the big tractor, just smaller, and yes it will work its ass off for you. I ran a BX for years on 5.5 acers and it did everything I needed, I got the B because Im getting long in the tooth and need some more lifting and pulling power. SO while you may wish for BIG BOY be happy with a small tractor, and enjoy

Bitbanger

Equipment
BX or B01
Apr 11, 2021
MidAtl
Thanks for the kind words everyone - felt a bit selfish to post, I mean what a thing to be complaining about right? We're both very much still in the honeymoon phase of buying the house so not something I wanted to express with the Mrs right now.

Weight is the biggest factor for now - leeching/drain field on the property plus it's 99% grass soooo.

Practicality speaking the ONE thing I'd really need it want a B01/LX for is loader lift capacity... Unloading equipment (i.e. small machine shop toys) off a trailer etc

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
It is your money, get what you want. As long as you are happy with your purchase.

Getting what you need isn't always as fun as getting what you want. :D

Thankfully I have a wife that monitors my purchasing, otherwise I would have an M8 I would be driving around on.

• Haha

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
1.5 acres, I have been doing a pile of work. my 23s is the perfect size for what I do. moving brush, hauling aggregate, leveling the driveway and yard, snow blowing, mowing, built a huge firepit, tilling.. the list is endless. Some days I do wish I had a bit more lift capacity but for the most part there isn't a thing I've tried to do with my BX that it hasn't been able to do.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
A very sage wise man once said:

No, you can't always get what you want
You can't always get what you want
You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometime you find
You get what you need

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
I have a 50 hp tractor on less than 2 acres...get what you want, you can't take the money with you so you might as well enjoy it while you are physically able. I have no regrets.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If you're only mowing grass get you a commercial rated zero turn. It will be fun to operate, do a spectacular job cutting, save time, a seat that is comfortable, leave nice stripes and your wife will think you're a genius!

We had a Kubota B6100 to begin with, but 15 years ago sold it and purchased a used Grasshopper. Traded that on for one with a wider cut when doing a neighbor's yard. Then purchased a new one four years ago. They have a "power fold deck", which is an elec. over hyd. power lift that lifts the deck for easy cleaning and blade changes. You can spend enough money to think you bought a small tractor.

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
I'll bring this to a 3/3 tie on the poll. While your current goals may not exceed the use case for a SCUT, if you have room to store the size bigger, based on the description of the property the larger frame will only make the work you do with the tractor go faster. Since you are getting a dedicated mower you don't have to worry about squeezing next to the house as frequently as you would if you were getting a mmm. A B01 may not be quite as nimble as a BX but I am surprised by the maneuverability of my L2501 near the house.

As long as you can afford a little more expensive implements and have room to store them since they will be bigger then you'll be happy with your implement. To me, if you are buying anything you want it to be perfect size but since no one ever know what the perfect size is then it is better for it to be slightly oversized rather than under. Also since you'd personally prefer to have a bigger tractor the accommodations that you may have to make wouldn't be less annoying than if you got a BX and tried to do a job with it just to find out it is just a little too small.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Hey folks - for years I have jokingly said (but seriously meant) "I want enough land to justify needing a real tractor". (By real I meant like L3901 frame size).

Well we've been planning/saving to buy a place for the last year and finally pulled the trigger last week, offer accepted. It meets all the needs that are truly important (good schools, safe place to raise kids, space for a garden etx) but the one box it didn't tick was the acreage I had hoped for. Just wasn't in the cards, and if you've been looking to buy recently you know the market isn't exactly brimming with options to choose from. 1.2acre is still a nice piece of property, but guess I'm here to express a little sadness that I can't really justify an L, or even a B01 or LX series really... In fact I need a mower more than I need a CUT/SCUT. If anyone could understand where I'm coming from I figured it would be you folks!

Has anyone been in a similar situation? - their dream was a bigger tractor but practicality set in and they realized something smaller made more sense? Maybe hearing that it ended up being the best choice in the end for you would help dull the pain. ;)

Thanks for listening.

For background the property is mostly flat, cleared. Trees lined along two property lines, handful of trees on the property itself, blacktop driveway. The most I'd need the tractor for now is landscaping, gardening, plowing the meager 50' driveway once a year, but that's about it for *needs*. It seems a shame for something larger than a BX to be sitting in the garage 80% of the time for just those simple needs. I did consider a MMM but for the cost I'd rather just have a dedicated mower. So for now SCUT are still on my radar...BX26S, potentially RK or Kioti for the value, just nothing bigger.
Well, it seems like there are two camps of thought...

Myself, having both a BX and a B, if I were in your shoes I would go for a BX23S. Like skeets said, it can be a workhorse on a small property. The ONLY concern would be your mention of wanting to unload equipment when delivered to you. The BX will have less loader capability than a larger unit.

Someone above mentioned the BX being nimble. I think this is a key consideration on 1.2 acres. Remember the house takes up some of that area as well. So the tractor is actually going to be used on maybe an acre at best.

Bigger is nice but not always better. I did find my B2910 worked well for me when I had 3.7 acres, before buying the place next door that added 4.2 acres to my total. But...

I was last year thinking of upgrading to a L2501. Keeping the b2910 of course. But I came to my senses and realized I did not need the larger tractor. Bought an old mini excavator instead. So it is possible to readjust one's thinking!

Hey, worst case you can always buy a BX after you buy a bigger tractor! Worked for me! Or a cheap lawn mower that to use most of the time while the real tractor waits to be used. ROFL but probably true...

Bitbanger

Equipment
BX or B01
Apr 11, 2021
MidAtl
Great insight all, thanks. I'm of the opinion right tool for the right job and so for mowing, yeah I'd probably spring for a used riding mower or ZT if the right deal/opportunity presented itself. I can't imagine even a BX would be as maneuverable as a $800 big box store special, esp considering turning radius, folded ROPS height, etc... though anything over 50ish inches won't happen at that price point, I imagine the (practical) ground speed of a mower may make up for it.

Anyway I'm slowly making peace with my little plot of land. If the BX had better loader lift specs it'd make this an easier choice.

foobert

Equipment
BX2380
Mar 25, 2021
Washington
Similar story here: 3+ acres with a steep hill that would be nice to mow, regular FEL needs for tiny farming operation, but very occasionally would have liked to lift HEAVY things off a truck (>2000#). Decided the SCUT will do and punted on the outlier task. It’s been a couple of weeks now, and I can say with certainty that a bigger machine would have not made any substantial difference to what we’re doing with it other than lightening the wallet. So, take my SCUT vote 👍

And not to thread jack, but a manual chain hoist and some careful planning gets a 1-ton feed tote off a low trailer just fine:
0F4B6846-23E9-44DA-BF16-65F6F10E5584.jpeg

No, it’s not as convenient as a capable loader with forks, but, the point of buying bulk is to, ya know, SAVE $$$. 🤓

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
You will find uses as time goes by.

I thought I'd be done with all my tractor chores 6 months in. I'm just getting starting and finding more.

:geek:

pokey1416

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L4060HSTC, BH92 Backhoe, HLA Snow Pusher, Dirt Dog Tiller, EA DiscHarrow
Jun 24, 2020
SW Michigan
Start a small landscaping business and get any size tractor you want. I live in a subdivision and get all kinds of looks from neighbors as I’m roading to my next “job”. And, when the neighbors need something a little bigger than they normally see - they come see me. I transitioned from a skidsteer, but no trailer with this one. It’s nice picking the jobs I want to do as I near retirement.

My tractor was delivered end of July 2020 and I have 182 hours on it so far. I probably would have gone bigger if it would fit in garage and dealer had in stock!

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Great insight all, thanks. I'm of the opinion right tool for the right job and so for mowing, yeah I'd probably spring for a used riding mower or ZT if the right deal/opportunity presented itself. I can't imagine even a BX would be as maneuverable as a $800 big box store special, esp considering turning radius, folded ROPS height, etc... though anything over 50ish inches won't happen at that price point, I imagine the (practical) ground speed of a mower may make up for it.

Anyway I'm slowly making peace with my little plot of land. If the BX had better loader lift specs it'd make this an easier choice.
One thing I noticed is my BX now being about 17 years old, still looks pretty much like new and performs like new. Compared to the couple cheap mowers that I had previously, which maybe lasted five years each.

The loader and backhoe on a BX, if you would get one, are invaluable if you are doing yard work. AND one would expect a BX should give you reliable service for over twenty years...

So while the initial expense is up there, over a couple decades it averages out and the net usefulness of what you have is immeasurable.

I say go for a BX and do not look back! But it is your money...easy for any of us to spend...LOL

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
As you age you will eventually pine for a condominium where you will have no acres and less worries. As humans have evolved they have been moving toward city living. I lived in the city until 4 years ago and other than my car being broken into occasionally I felt it was much better. Now I cut grass, maintain a tractor, deal with snow, cut down trees..... There are no sidewalks where I live and few to talk with. This was the wife's idea and better for child rearing. I would consider a flat 1.2 acres plenty. Concentrate on trying to make money and get yourself a small beat up farm within an hour or two driving distance. Consider it an investment both financial and in your sanity. Thats what I did. I paid $5,000 for an old Allis Chalmers 5040 tractor. Told the guy I bought it from I knew nothing of tractors ,was at his mercy and was there because orange was my favorite color. So far so good. Good luck to you and don't let your dream die. My 2 cents.

Last edited:

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
As you age you will eventually pine for a condominium where you will have no acres and less worries. As humans have evolved they have been moving toward city living. I lived in the city until 4 years ago and other than my car being broken into occasionally I felt it was much better. Now I cut grass, maintain a tractor, deal with snow, cut down trees..... There are no sidewalks where I live and few to talk with. This was the wife's idea and better for child rearing. I would consider a flat 1.2 acres plenty. Concentrate on trying to make money and get yourself a small beat up farm within an hour or two driving distance. Consider it an investment both financial and in your sanity. Thats what I did. I paid $5,000 for an old Allis Chalmers 5040 tractor. Told the guy I bought it from I new nothing of tractors ,was at his mercy and was there because orange was my favorite color. So far so good. Good luck to you and don't let your dream die. My 2 cents.
That’s a truly interesting perspective, mostly because it is sincere and also so foreign to me.

I grew up on what was a small property in our community, 200 acres. Lived in various apartments for seven years during and immediately after college. Been on 60 acres since (25 years) and it still feels small. Between church and school/work I’ve always had more than enough people to talk to. A condo in a city sounds about one step above jail. A house on a small lot in a neighborhood with a HOA and a yard that requires a push mower and cordless electric weed eater sounds like mild torture. If we’re still here in our old age, I guess the wilderness can reclaim everything but the house unless my son sees fit to keep it up. I suppose what we gravitate toward what we’re used to.

Reactions: 3 users

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I can’t think of too many cities I’d want to live in, but don’t mind visiting a few. If you like city life, I’m kind of wondering why you have a tractor. Or, maybe we have a different idea of city.