Labor for rear remote install on L Series

Calbourn

Sep 14, 2020
Sonoma, CA
I'm in the process of purchasing an L3901 and need to have rear remotes installed (for TnT + 1 fn). I inquired with my local dealer about cost, and was given a quote for over $1100 in installation costs, and was told that it is a 7 hour job. This seems exorbitant, as some folks on these forums with far less experience than a dealer mechanic, claim 3-4 hour install times.

Question is: how many hours of labor should a dealer charge for, to install 3 rear remote sets? The rear valves would be SCV, SCD and FD.

Thanks in advance!

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
If this is a new tractor purchase, then $1100 to install is outrageous.

Reactions: 1 user

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I'm in the process of purchasing an L3901 and need to have rear remotes installed (for TnT + 1 fn). I inquired with my local dealer about cost, and was given a quote for over $1100 in installation costs, and was told that it is a 7 hour job. This seems exorbitant, as some folks on these forums with far less experience than a dealer mechanic, claim 3-4 hour install times.

Question is: how many hours of labor should a dealer charge for, to install 3 rear remote sets? The rear valves would be SCV, SCD and FD.

Thanks in advance!
It doesn't matter what a dealer "should" charge.

Your dealer is going to charge what he is going to charge.

The days of dealers installing options without charge or with little charge when a new tractor is purchased are over.

The now almost universally practiced concept of profit centers ended such.

FWIW: When buying my RTV-X1100C with front mounted plow, I decided to install the plow myself. Though I did not ask what my dealer would charge to install the plow, I did ask the technician who does such installs how long it would take him and was told "between 3 and 4 hours." The dealers shop rate is $110/hr.

Having not done this job before, I estimated that I should be able to do it in 5 or 6 hours. I ended up with about 10 hours in the job. Yes, I'm anal so always spend more times doing things than most others.

SDT

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I don’t have an answer to your question, but was the $1100 just labor or is that parts and labor?

When I added the backhoe to my L they quoted $300 to install the subframe and the hoses to the back (I never asked them to install it but they quoted it anyways). It took me maybe 3 hrs to do that and the worst part was getting the backhoe itself out of the crate.

If $1100 is parts and labor that’s probably not bad from the prices I’ve seen on here for the remote kits. If $1100 is just labor then maybe I need to look into the tractor business 🤣

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I asked about rear remotes last year when I was having the dealer quote me a price for my L2501. He quoted me roughly the same price to my recollection, and I got the impression he was really not wanting me to have it done. He talked me out of it. I have not needed a remote, but wished I had them.

Fladogman

Feb 1, 2020
Crawfordville Fl
I inquired about adding two additional remotes to my MX a few months ago. The dealer told me the cost of the remotes we're $750 each and a couple of hours to install. I think the OEM parts are where the cost is.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Parts and labor or just labor is important, as Ford said.

Following SDT's comment; when I bought my BX, I got the snowblower and front hitch/mid-PTO in crates/boxes.

I think my salesman said it saved me a couple hundred $$ assembling myself. It surprised me they would charge to do that.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I suspect that is parts and labor. It's not a big ordeal adding valves but the price of the Kubota valve units is quite high.

Calbourn

Sep 14, 2020
Sonoma, CA
I suspect that is parts and labor. It's not a big ordeal adding valves but the price of the Kubota valve units is quite high.
It's just labor. Parts + Labor on 3 remote sets = $3300 (parts alone are around $2200). On top of that, he's also charging about $850 for the TnT kit, and $70 to install that. This is in Sonoma County, CA, so would expect higher hourly rates than other parts of the country. The dealer's hourly rate is around $150, which is acceptable, so long as they're not overcharging hours. In this case, I get the sense they might be. It's a trust issue; I'm ok with higher hourly rate, but not ok to be snookered. Thx!

Calbourn

Sep 14, 2020
Sonoma, CA
Thanks so much for the input, all. The Orange Tractor crew is always super helpful! As stated in my last post, I think there's reason enough to doubt the numbers provided. I will shop around and see if other nearby dealers sing the same tune. Will post back with what I uncover.

bx tractorjoe

Equipment
kubota l2501 upgraded from a bx23s john deere 670 husquarvana huv 4421 gxp
Jun 3, 2020
loxahatchee flordia
This is the buildsheet for my l2501.. i priced the parts for the 2 rear remotes, and top n tilt and they were maybe 330 cheaper then the dealer prices so I'm guessing the added cost was for the installation, but more likely there markup?.. it seemed pretty good to me not to have to spend 5 or 6 hours installing them myself..

one big positive is its all covered under the warranty.. the total difference from the kubota website to the dealer costs was only 1036.65.. but that was for everything installed and delivered. Im guessing the dealer also charges the customer to ship the tractor to them as well?? It is what it is.. and I financed it at 0% so ohh well..

They always seem to get more money out of you someway.. id rather think it was for labor costs then just charging me more because they can..

Attachments

Calbourn

Sep 14, 2020
Sonoma, CA
This is the buildsheet for my l2501.. i priced the parts for the 2 rear remotes, and top n tilt and they were maybe 330 cheaper then the dealer prices so I'm guessing the added cost was for the installation, but more likely there markup?.. it seemed pretty good to me not to have to spend 5 or 6 hours installing them myself..

one big positive is its all covered under the warranty.. the total difference from the kubota website to the dealer costs was only 1036.65.. but that was for everything installed and delivered. Im guessing the dealer also charges the customer to ship the tractor to them as well?? It is what it is.. and I financed it at 0% so ohh well..

They always seem to get more money out of you someway.. id rather think it was for labor costs then just charging me more because they can..
Thanks much for posting this information, TractorJoe. This is super helpful. I ran a few numbers and think you got an equivalent deal (by my calculations), with around a 10% savings over what my local dealer is offering (if I were to go with your configuration). I'm ok with that, accounting for our different regions, and relative labor costs, etc. Here's my breakdown:
Screen Shot 2020-09-15 at 3.49.15 PM.png

In the end, it's as SDT stated, "Your dealer is going to charge what he is going to charge." In this case, given the proximity in pricing, I think I'm getting a fair shake. Thanks again for all the info!

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
If you are hoping your dealer is being fair get 2 more competitive quotes for the same job. The dealer also needs to make money, if he isn't competitive then he doesn't get the work.

I don't expect people to work for free. Sometimes you just get an unreasonable customer expecting the moon for peanuts. I always tell those customers to do it themselves if they want to save money.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Must be the Kalifornia thing on labor rate. My dealer is 85 an hour. Not even the Freightliner dealership where I retired from is at a buck and a half an hour. If they were, they'd loose most of their shop work.

I guess labor rates are competitive based on location. Glad I don't live in Kalifornia for sure. I couldn't afford it.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I know for my area, timing plays into the cost. The Spring thru Fall months the dealer charges a premium because he usually has more work than he can keep up with. In the winter months he runs specials for servicing and that is how I got my rear lights installed labor free. I was bringing my tractor in for service special and asked since I bought the light from him and was going to have my tractor there for service, if they would just install them, which they did.

I understand that rear remotes are more involved, but if you talk to your dealer and find out when his/her slow time is and they are trying to find work to keep their people busy, you might be able to get a little better price. The downside, you are doing it on the dealers schedule and not your timing.

Reactions: 1 users

Northwoods906

Equipment
LX2610, SB1064
Sep 3, 2020
Upper Peninsula
I was advised installing two rear remotes with parts and labor was $2,000 on my LX2610. I called another dealer and they said it would be the same. It is what it is!

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
My dealer supplied the parts & installed 2 rear remotes on my L3901 for a cost of $1,375, 2 years ago, it was at the time of purchase of the tractor new, in addition they fitted 3rd function on loader for use with a grapple.

Sid Post

Equipment
Kubota L4600F and B2601
Oct 12, 2013
Texas, Oklahoma
Call around for other quotes!

On a barely related issue, I had, moving to Texas I needed a front license plate bracket for my Toyota Tundra. I went to the local dealer and was quoted $62 for the bracket by itself in a plastic bag.

MSRP from Toyota was $22, I paid $17 from a dealer in Dallas.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I just wanted to finish the sentence,
Labor for rear remote install on L Series - IS WORTH IT.

I put the top and tilt on as well so I have 3 rear remotes and use them all the time. Well worth the money for me due to the quality of the job that can be done with the box blade and rake.

Reactions: 1 users