LA 340 lift capcity

RichAllyn

Equipment
BX23S
Sep 25, 2020
Athens, PA
Is the lifting limit set by hydrolics or tractor counter weight on the back of my bx23s or a combination of both? Thanks I'm new to Orange Talks and really enjoying the conversations and good advice for my new tractor. I am building a tool box / counter weight for FEL digging.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Is the lifting limit set by hydrolics or tractor counter weight on the back of my bx23s or a combination of both? Thanks I'm new to Orange Talks and really enjoying the conversations and good advice for my new tractor. I am building a tool box / counter weight for FEL digging.
Your goal has to be to make your tractor stable when lifting with the loader. Because the font axle pivots from side to side it cannot resist the tractor trying to roll over.

The rear axle being rigid is where the roll over resistance is achieved.

The best counter weights are designed to be carried below the height of the rear axle shaft as that provides the most stability in many situations.

Building a counter weight to be 50 to 60% of the lift capacity of the 3 pt hitch is adequate. Your 3 pt hitch will have weight ratings for weight at the lift pins and a lower number for weight at 24" back of the lift pins.

Dave

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
The hydraulic system is capable of a set lifting force at the pins. The tractor has to balance the torque around the front wheels with its weight and distance from the front wheels. Adding weight farther from the front wheels will add more counter torque and make sure the tractor is stabilized on the rear wheels.

So the real answer is that both play a part of the lifting capacity.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
Both. With no ballast at the back, the loader hydraulics won't bypass under max load before the loader lifts the rear wheels off the ground. Once there's sufficient ballast, a loader load that is too high will cause the relief valve to open and the load will remain on the ground as will your rear wheels.
My box blade on the 3-point is sufficient ballast for the highest load lift-able by the FEL, and still have rear tire traction.

Justasquid

Equipment
L4240HSTC
Nov 2, 2020
Michigan
The number on the side of the loader is what kubota sets lifting capacity in KG. So your loader 340KG, according to kubota should lift roughly 750lbs at the pins. The weight of the bucket will reduce this number. Also it’s about an 8-10 percent or so reduction capacity at the bucket, or 500mm forward of the pins.

another thing to consider is the front axle load capacity. Your loader will pick up more weight in the first few inches of lift versus max lift height. But without proper ballast, you begin to put not only your loader weight on the front axle, but also the tractor weight. If your lifting your rear tires Off the ground, or are making the rear really light, you will need more ballast not just for safety, but also to even the load across both axles.

Reactions: 1 user

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
You need counter weight to offset what you are lifting. I'm not sure about your model but pressure is set at the pressure relief valve near the hydraulic pump - you can look up diagrams at Messick website... (red star)

bx23s.jpg

You need to know what pressure you are at now... and don't get crazy with high pressure. You can make a pressure tester or just buy one pre-made, you'll need to buy shims too.

Last edited:

RichAllyn

Equipment
BX23S
Sep 25, 2020
Athens, PA
Thank you everyone for your comments about my first posting. You have really helped me understand my LA 340 better. This is a great site.

Reactions: 1 user