L6060 worth the cost over MX5800?

Grandad4

Equipment
1949 Farmall M, previously owned: L 4610, BX 2230
Apr 5, 2016
Greensboro, NC
The L6060 is 6-8K more than the MX5800. While the chassis and engines are virtually the same, there are some significant performance differences that make the L6060 more tractor: the 3 point mechanism on the L6060 is significantly heavier duty, with lift capacity more than 650 lbs higher than the MX; and the L6060 has the more capable HST Plus drive system while the MX has a more basic HST setup. The L6060 also has some additional features and conveniences that make it a deluxe model vs. the more utility oriented MX5800. Depends on what you want... really nice equipment either way.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Pretty much what Grandad4 said. I had an L5030HSTC and was happy with it, kind of skeptical of all the testimonials on how great the HST+ was. I can't use my left leg well enough to operate left foot braking, so to avoid them, exposed hydraulics and cruise control on the L60, I traded my L5030 for an L5740 HST+ and I'm a convert, love it.

No doubt the MX is a great tractor, but for me the GL was worth the extra money. I imagine if you put an L6060 side by side with an MX5800 on the same job with the same driver skills, both will finish pretty darn close, it will just be easier on the L60. I grew up farming on old crash box tractors and no power steering, now with the passage of time, I'm all about easy.:)

Basically "is it worth the extra money" is going to be an individual thing.

virginiavenom

Jan 30, 2015
Sherman, TX
HST+ is very very handy. layout of controls is more fluid. I like the pedal more on the 60, the seat is much nicer, little more power with the 6060 over the 5800 I believe. having a high low for each of the 3 main gears is very useful, especially with it having the ability to change it automatically while in motion or manually. I tend to stay in medium most of the time and just drop it to low or high while going as needed. makes mowing a little more productive as well as some bucket work. the auto throttle of the HST+ is very nice in my opinion. the FEL bucket controls are way superior in my opinion. I like the fuel tank being lower and thus easier to fill. the 3rd function operates very nice on the 6060, the 5800 doesn't have a 3rd function option according to several local dealers. the flooring is better traction wise. the display gives significantly more information that may help you. notably the PTO speed. you can get it right to that 540 RPM instead of ballparking it. which typically gives you better power for the pto. the tilt wheel is nice on the grand. don't know if it's available on the MX. don't believe so. I liked the simplicity of the 5800 over the grand, but I also appreciate technology that can aid you in so many things. in my opinion, you can't go wrong either way. ask a local dealer to put the MX5800 next to a grand L of 4760 or larger next to one another so you can drive and operate each as well as just climb on and off and inspect visually side by side.