L6060 hard to start and stalls

Michael Iacono

Equipment
L6060 tractor, tedder
May 28, 2023
Clarksville Ohio
2019 L6060 has gotten progressively worse … at first it would run for an hour then lose power and stall out. Let it sit 15 minutes the it would restart, run for 45 minutes and lose power and die.
Now it is almost impossible to start. And will only run for 3 minutes then stall out.
The diesel is clean, the water separator is clean, the fuel filter has been replaced … I drained the tank and the fuel was clean but i replaced it anyway. No change … I’ve bled the system over and over … any thoughts?
Air leak - how do i find it … fuel injector? I’m stumped and frustrated - tractor only has 130 hours on it.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Algae in the tank, lines, or possibly a failed lift pump.
Check flow at water separator and then at fuel filter.

Reactions: 1 users

Michael Iacono

Equipment
L6060 tractor, tedder
May 28, 2023
Clarksville Ohio
Algae in the tank, lines, or possibly a failed lift pump.
Check flow at water separator and then at fuel filter.
Al gear in tank. Negative. I drained and wiped out tank interior. Clean
Good flow coming out of pump that is between water separator and fuel filter.
should I check flow coming out of filter?
not sure how to check.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Describe how it stalls out please.

Does it die like it runs out of fuel suddenly or does it act like it has run out of fuel and takes a while to die. Will it idle at all when it starts to stall?

So far it seems that it is starving for fuel but since you have cleaned it perhaps there is a blockage in a fuel line or small passage in the filter housing.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Al gear in tank. Negative. I drained and wiped out tank interior. Clean
Good flow coming out of pump that is between water separator and fuel filter.
should I check flow coming out of filter?
not sure how to check.
Crack open the bleeder nut on the top of the housing and manually prime the system.

Is it throwing any codes?

Last edited:

Michael Iacono

Equipment
L6060 tractor, tedder
May 28, 2023
Clarksville Ohio
Describe how it stalls out please.

Does it die like it runs out of fuel suddenly or does it act like it has run out of fuel and takes a while to die. Will it idle at all when it starts to stall?

So far it seems that it is starving for fuel but since you have cleaned it perhaps there is a blockage in a fuel line or small passage in the filter housing.
Great description - it takes a while to die … it will idle for about 15 seconds before it dies … if i run it at about 2k it will run for about 3 mins then slowly stall out … no codes.
It takes about 20 seconds of cranking before it catches, and seems to run normally then it dips to almost a stall, catches itself and goes back up to 2k rpm then slows down progressively and stops.
This morning I took off the fuel filter and reseated it just to be sure there was no air slipping in … all the hoses I can get to look to be in good shape and have clips securing them to the nipples.

Michael Iacono

Equipment
L6060 tractor, tedder
May 28, 2023
Clarksville Ohio
Crack open the bleeder nut on the top of the housing and manually prime the system.

No codes at all … I’ll try to prime the system … i took the fuel filter off this morning and actually filled it before I reseated it … same performance as before … and still took considerable cranking to start it.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Before you go to the trouble of getting it “primed” I recommend you take the line from the the filter to the pump off and see if you have good flow.

There are some models that have an electric lift pump that can go out. Usually tractor runs okay until the tank gets to half full or less.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
i took the fuel filter off this morning and actually filled it before I reseated it
That's a HUGE NO NO, you should never do that as your pushing unfiltered fuel through the system.

I think your reaching the point where professional help (dealer) (yea I know some are not very professional) is going to be required.

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
There is a vent at the top of the rear most fuel collection tank. Located on the back of the shutter plate. Sometimes they will get clogged by dirt daubers. Try cracking the fuel cap open to see if your air locked on the fuel system. There should be no air present in the fuel/water separator.

bleeding from the silver bleed screw on top of the primary(black) filter is key. It should be loosened three turns and allowed to sit key on until you can hear fuel running back to tank. The bleed screw is oring sealed, so it does not bleed externally.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Michael Iacono

Equipment
L6060 tractor, tedder
May 28, 2023
Clarksville Ohio
There is a vent at the top of the rear most fuel collection tank. Located on the back of the shutter plate. Sometimes they will get clogged by dirt daubers. Try cracking the fuel cap open to see if your air locked on the fuel system. There should be no air present in the fuel/water separator.

bleeding from the silver bleed screw on top of the primary(black) filter is key. It should be loosened three turns and allowed to sit key on until you can hear fuel running back to tank. The bleed screw is oring sealed, so it does not bleed externally.
I had to step away from the Kubota L6060 issue for a day or so ... I went thru al the advice one more time - and read a few other threads ... I started again at the water separator, took it apart, cleaned it again and made sure it was properly seated ... I then bled the system - it ran for about 30 seconds .... I removed the bleeder bolt and primed the system with a syringe and I started the tractor - it ran for six minutes and died .... I started it again and parked in on a downhill slope (thinking gravity may be a friend) and it was running 30 minutes later SO not willing to leave good enough alone I turned the tractor around and put it now on an uphill slope (thinking gravity may be the reason it was feeding fuel) BUT now 90 minutes later it is still running. I have no idea what happened in the system when I primed it but it seemed to break some sort of blockage. I'll run it again tomorrow and report. Thanks to everyone who offered insight on this problem.

• Wow

Michael Iacono

Equipment
L6060 tractor, tedder
May 28, 2023
Clarksville Ohio

North Idaho Wolfman, what were you thinking would happen when you suggested priming the system? were you thinking it was trapped air in the system - or applying pressure to a blockage?
I'm not saying its fixed but at least it shows some signs of life ... time will tell I guess.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
North Idaho Wolfman, what were you thinking would happen when you suggested priming the system? were you thinking it was trapped air in the system - or applying pressure to a blockage?
I'm not saying its fixed but at least it shows some signs of life ... time will tell I guess.
Trapped air can cause poor / non start and poor/ inconsistent running.

kubotafreak

Equipment
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
This engine has a pretty involved fuel return/vent system. If you spin the filter off and install a new one as a single item, then bleed/run the engine to purge it usually works fine. I have found if you try to do both separator, and main filter simultaneously you have a good chance of getting it air locked. You cant just start it kill it and think its good, it has to run for a few minutes. If you cut it off too soon that first time, they can get air locked. I had one do this, and it was a bit of effort to get bled enough to run long enough to purge itself.
One would think the lift pump can push all the air out, but its not as good as the old manual push valves. You basically only have so much fuel that can be drained from the system before you have too much air. The engine either wont start, or wont run long enough for the stronger engine pump to clear and purge the lines.The mechanical engine pump is what really purges all the air out. If you ever watch air bubbles in a clear line it will have little air pockets that stay static unless you can overwhelm the capillary resistance with flow. If the return lines are not completely purged(which can only happen from running the engine) the vent system does not work right and can allow air back into the system. An example would be a tractor that you can get running and works fine. However after it sits for a day, it looses prime, and wont start, then you have to bleed it again.
This tractor does have a few check valves, if you consistently have trouble with prime those are good suspects easy to check. I always look for leaks, because you can bet thats where air gets introduced.

My guess your syringe method was just enough to overcome the main filter and pull the extra bit of air out. Heck you may have a weak lift pump. You using oem filters?

Michael Iacono

Equipment
L6060 tractor, tedder
May 28, 2023
Clarksville Ohio
This engine has a pretty involved fuel return/vent system. If you spin the filter off and install a new one as a single item, then bleed/run the engine to purge it usually works fine. I have found if you try to do both separator, and main filter simultaneously you have a good chance of getting it air locked. You cant just start it kill it and think its good, it has to run for a few minutes. If you cut it off too soon that first time, they can get air locked. I had one do this, and it was a bit of effort to get bled enough to run long enough to purge itself.
One would think the lift pump can push all the air out, but its not as good as the old manual push valves. You basically only have so much fuel that can be drained from the system before you have too much air. The engine either wont start, or wont run long enough for the stronger engine pump to clear and purge the lines.The mechanical engine pump is what really purges all the air out. If you ever watch air bubbles in a clear line it will have little air pockets that stay static unless you can overwhelm the capillary resistance with flow. If the return lines are not completely purged(which can only happen from running the engine) the vent system does not work right and can allow air back into the system. An example would be a tractor that you can get running and works fine. However after it sits for a day, it looses prime, and wont start, then you have to bleed it again.
This tractor does have a few check valves, if you consistently have trouble with prime those are good suspects easy to check. I always look for leaks, because you can bet thats where air gets introduced.

My guess your syringe method was just enough to overcome the main filter and pull the extra bit of air out. Heck you may have a weak lift pump. You using oem filters?
How interesting!, Thanks for the response ... I am using only Kubota parts ... by way of an update ... once i put a load on the tractor it crapped out again ... I am thinking my next step would be to replace the lifter pump ... the long steady idling without a load (even at different rpm settings) seems to say it isn't just a debris blockage ... its an inability to get enough fuel to the engine or into the fuel system - if that doesn't do the trick when i put a load on it ... I have to say uncle and send it on to the dealer. Thanks again ... enjoyed your analysis.

kubotafreak

Equipment
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
I know you said you cleared the fuel water seperator. Did you by chance poke around the inlet elbow? That is the most common place for blockage. They collect all the bugs, grass, at that spot and you have to use a pick to scrape it out.

I made a post about a strainer I found that fits in the fuel neck.

Michael Iacono

Equipment
L6060 tractor, tedder
May 28, 2023
Clarksville Ohio
I know you said you cleared the fuel water seperator. Did you by chance poke around the inlet elbow? That is the most common place for blockage. They collect all the bugs, grass, at that spot and you have to use a pick to scrape it out.

I made a post about a strainer I found that fits in the fuel neck.

Well - Well - Well !!!! Bingo! The elbow had significant debris ... I removed the head from the tractor - disassembled the cut off valve and cleaned, and cleaned and cleaned some more. As soon as i reassembled the water separator and turned the fuel on, and saw how quickly the water separator cup filled... I knew this was a game changer. I had nothing to compare the fill time too until I saw it filling properly.
There was at least one bug in there and several seed heads. I just got back from a 30 minuted run with a hay tedder that choked it off in 5 minutes Friday. I feel like its time to feel optimistic about the problem being solved - but I will reserve the happy dance until I run it for a few hours without incident.
Cannot thank you enough for the suggestions and guidance. I will find the strainer you referenced and install it asap. I guess I will return that fuel pump that set me back $200. Phew!
Thanks again Mike

Reactions: 2 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Well - Well - Well !!!! Bingo! The elbow had significant debris ... I removed the head from the tractor - disassembled the cut off valve and cleaned, and cleaned and cleaned some more. As soon as i reassembled the water separator and turned the fuel on, and saw how quickly the water separator cup filled... I knew this was a game changer. I had nothing to compare the fill time too until I saw it filling properly.
There was at least one bug in there and several seed heads. I just got back from a 30 minuted run with a hay tedder that choked it off in 5 minutes Friday. I feel like its time to feel optimistic about the problem being solved - but I will reserve the happy dance until I run it for a few hours without incident.
Cannot thank you enough for the suggestions and guidance. I will find the strainer you referenced and install it asap. I guess I will return that fuel pump that set me back $200. Phew!
Thanks again Mike
You "removed the head" to solve the problem?