L5240 needs an engine

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
they did the destruction properly hopefully they documented it properly too

the epa mandates it-the thought process is that if the old engine is "destroyed" it can no longer be used. They don't want old diesels to ever be used again

dealer is also supposed to document it being scrapped but that has loopholes

Bet my Smith 460 XVR with a 300 grain hollow point FMJ would 'scrap it' real quick like........... (y) small hole in, BIG hole out.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I know that this is an old thread, but what happens if you should need a replacement engine for a machine that doesn't have an engine installed in it? An example would be that the old engine was removed for repair, and found to be beyond repair and scrapped, and the machine was sold without the engine "as is". It is also plausible that a new machine was stolen and the engine was removed by the thieves and left on the side of the road. Then recovered by the police, who notify the insurance company and then sells the machine for salvage. How would you get an engine if you have to have the old engine to be destroyed?

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I know that this is an old thread, but what happens if you should need a replacement engine for a machine that doesn't have an engine installed in it? An example would be that the old engine was removed for repair, and found to be beyond repair and scrapped, and the machine was sold without the engine "as is". It is also plausible that a new machine was stolen and the engine was removed by the thieves and left on the side of the road. Then recovered by the police, who notify the insurance company and then sells the machine for salvage. How would you get an engine if you have to have the old engine to be destroyed?
the people in the parts dept that you ordered the engine from have to jump through hoops to get you an engine. If they can get one. Keep your records from insurance, the scrap yard, etc.

Reactions: 1 user

Fedup

Apr 6, 2016
Winchester
I'm guessing it would just a matter of proving/verifying that you actually have the tractor minus an engine. My thinking is the "destroyed" concept is more to prevent purchasing an older engine version and installing in a later model tractor in order to circumvent emissions systems.

I could be wrong, but I think under your extreme circumstances, there would be a way to work it out.

Reactions: 1 user