l48

rendragyarrum

Equipment
Kubota L3240
Jan 15, 2021
Woodbury, CT
Hello Kubotaheads,

I am in the market for a used tractor. I'm most interested in Kubotas. I have been using an L3240 where I caretake and I think it's a great tractor. I am buying a piece of land and am looking for a tractor to do a lot of things. Backhoe work, grapple, PTO chipper, snow plowing.

The L48 is a stout and unique model. I have located one for sale in my region, but the hour meter stopped working at 2700 hrs. The current owner has no idea how many hours are on the machine.

My QUESTION...

If the tractor is functioning well and looks pretty good for a 15 year old tractor, how do I put a value on a machine with unknown hours?

I really appreciate any helpful information!

Thanks, Stephen

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
What I would do is start the engine cold - in your neck of the woods that ought to be an easy task.
HOW much does it smoke cold? How long does it take for smoke to clear up?
Any unusual noises cold?

Raise FEL - grab the bucket edge with your hand and push pull - any slop in those pins?
DO the same with the HOE -
Look at the zerks and the fittings and surfaces that grease should be oozing from - if those are dry...... that says a lot of bad things.

That is a heavy duty machine - with 3000 hours , it should still be good for another 3000 hours!

Without doing a compression test - there is no real way to tell how the engine has aged.

Once running and put through the paces - see if there is any blow-by from the vent tube.

AS for cost..............

I would imagine a machine of that size used would be in the high 20k range. Less than that - would be a good deal.

Reactions: 1 user

rendragyarrum

Equipment
Kubota L3240
Jan 15, 2021
Woodbury, CT
What I would do is start the engine cold - in your neck of the woods that ought to be an easy task.
HOW much does it smoke cold? How long does it take for smoke to clear up?
Any unusual noises cold?

Raise FEL - grab the bucket edge with your hand and push pull - any slop in those pins?
DO the same with the HOE -
Look at the zerks and the fittings and surfaces that grease should be oozing from - if those are dry...... that says a lot of bad things.

That is a heavy duty machine - with 3000 hours , it should still be good for another 3000 hours!

Without doing a compression test - there is no real way to tell how the engine has aged.

Once running and put through the paces - see if there is any blow-by from the vent tube.

AS for cost..............

I would imagine a machine of that size used would be in the high 20k range. Less than that - would be a good deal.
Thanks 85Hokie. This is good info.

Anyone else have thoughts about what to look for when I do a more thorough inspection?