L47TLB vs Grand L with backhoe?

virginiavenom

Jan 30, 2015
Sherman, TX
okay....so long story, I need a hoe. renting wouldn't make sense for what I'm doing, a mini-ex tends to be quite high, and I think a TLB would work much better at dealing with my sandstone rock infestation. anyway. my options are as follows.

keep my 4060 open, buy a backhoe with thumb for 12k installed.

upgrade to a L4760 with backhoe for 17k more than existing loan (get the extra FEL capacity and a bit more power.

upgrade to a L47 TLB with 3 point kits and 3rd functions front and rear with thumb for 24k over my trade value. way more FEL capacity, much stronger built, same engine I have, which I'm pretty happy with power wise, much stronger backhoe with better reach capability, much better hydro pump. weight is much higher allowing greater traction and dirt work, not having to get on and off every single time. creeper. horn (which I think all tractors should have anyway) a better rops, lower center of gravity. same HST+ as the Grand L, which I love.

M59 (older gen) for 20k over my trade value. 150 hours. pretty heavy for my needs, but overkill is underrated. no emissions stuff, but I've had no issues with mine thus far with it.

what would you do?
I do the following.
hay bales large moving, loading, unloading etc. brush hogging, post hole digging (FEL), 20 acres of rock removal and likely more (800+ lb are common). building 2 stock ponds. ditch work. drainage work. trenching for plumbing electric and gas. pallet work. grading. some tree pulling work, post pulling etc. or wait until they come out with a TLB with a proper cab for a bit more and never buy another tractor again. reason I am looking at them now was my salesmen knew I was investigating mini-exs. he thought I would be better off with a TLB solution and the used M59 came up.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
M59 hands down.

Reason: More capacity, tougher, Better resale, IMHO, because of less restrictive emissions devices, and Lower cost of operation / maintenance because of less restrictive emissions devices.

Last edited:

Greenhead

Equipment
L4400, MX5100
Oct 13, 2014
Fond du Lac, WI
If you like your existing tractor (I mean really like it) and it does everything you need it to do, I would keep it.
Then look for a used 38 to 50 HP tractor with a backhoe. It would be easier than taking the backhoe off and on, reinstalling the 3pts (don't lose the parts), (don't ask) and THEN put the attachment on the 3pt...
An L3800 or L4400 would be perfect with a backhoe.

Twice the maintenance but it would sure be nice to mow in the morning and then dig rocks after lunch for a while without changing a thing.

virginiavenom

Jan 30, 2015
Sherman, TX
If you like your existing tractor (I mean really like it) and it does everything you need it to do, I would keep it.
Then look for a used 38 to 50 HP tractor with a backhoe. It would be easier than taking the backhoe off and on, reinstalling the 3pts (don't lose the parts), (don't ask) and THEN put the attachment on the 3pt...
An L3800 or L4400 would be perfect with a backhoe.

Twice the maintenance but it would sure be nice to mow in the morning and then dig rocks after lunch for a while without changing a thing.

oh I do love my existing tractor....however that would be 2 very expensive tractors.