L4701 vs Mx5400 vs m6060

dterry302

Jul 14, 2015
Florida
Ok so I used to have an l3901 and it was stolen so I’m upgrading from that because it was a little small for what I was wanting. So I was thinking 5400 because of the added loader capacity and hp. Problem is that the dealers can’t seem to have a 5400 for several months but have either a 4701 or a 6060 on the lot. Not sure I need a 6060 and it’s 4000 more than the 5400. Haven’t even looked at the 4701 because I would like the extra features and capacity to run a bigger mower. So wait the extra time, upgrade to bigger but more money or downsize? What do y’all think?

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Can not help with which tractor. But would like to know more about the stolen one. How? What do you plan to do to prevent a repeat? etc

tradosaurus

Equipment
Kubota MX5400 HST, Land Pride RCR2660 , EA 60" Xtreme grapple, EA box blade
Mar 7, 2019
Texarkana, Tx, USA
My Kubota dealer has a lot of tractors on the lot. I recently bought my MX5400 off the lot (with some upgrades). Call around.

dterry302

Jul 14, 2015
Florida
I’ve called almost every dealer within 150 miles and haven’t found one yet but I’m still trying. Kubota keys are universal on the l models had it in a pole barn on my dads property someone came at night and drove it off. Haven’t heard a thing about it since from the sheriffs office already paid off so no Kubota insurance and homeowners wouldn’t cover it since it was at his house and not on his property so total loss on my end. Probably going to put a hidden battery switch and possibly fuel kill switch on the new one.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I’ve called almost every dealer within 150 miles and haven’t found one yet but I’m still trying. Kubota keys are universal on the l models had it in a pole barn on my dads property someone came at night and drove it off. Haven’t heard a thing about it since from the sheriffs office already paid off so no Kubota insurance and homeowners wouldn’t cover it since it was at his house and not on his property so total loss on my end. Probably going to put a hidden battery switch and possibly fuel kill switch on the new one.
I hate a thief. Sorry for your loss.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I think you should look into all possible models/sizes. It sounds like you aren’t sure if you want bigger or not. I’d probably also consider a cab while you are at it. Take a reasonable length of time and watch Messicks on youtube, but also go to dealers that have stock.

Also, think about looking wider than 150 miles. Fwiw, the delivery guy from my dealer said he goes hours away to deliver.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I don’t know what exactly you need but I do know whatever you get you’ll likely keep it for a VERY long time, get implements sized for it, customize it with lights, guards, etc. to suit your needs. If you have to wait or expand the search radius to get what you really want/need, I’d expand the search radius and wait if necessary.

I don’t at all regret my L4701. It is more tractor than the L3901. But there’s a significant difference in loader capacity and overall weight (i..e. pulling power) between the L4701 and M5400 (and L6060). Big difference in features between the 6060 and either of the other two. They’re all quite different and I would suggest not settling for the most convenient.

You might try something like TractorHouse if you’re willing to expand your search radius and don’t care to call dozens of dealers.

And at the risk of rubbing salt in a wound, an Inland Marine equipment policy isn’t very expensive and will cover it wherever it is.

Last edited:

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
an Inland Marine equipment policy
Totally of topic. But what's the world coming to when there's a thing known as an "inland marine insurance policy" and it's what you need to insure tractors? My boat tractor? That boat that I use on the land? I'm always amazed at how terms like this come into common usage, and we get used to them. Why doesn't someone just start offering "tractor insurance". Everybody would know what it was.

Reactions: 1 user

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Totally of topic. But what's the world coming to when there's a thing known as an "inland marine insurance policy" and it's what you need to insure tractors? My boat tractor? That boat that I use on the land? I'm always amazed at how terms like this come into common usage, and we get used to them. Why doesn't someone just start offering "tractor insurance". Everybody would know what it was.
Because insurance people like to confuse the crap out of everyone!

Truth is because at the origin of insurance there were two types: fire (which covered buildings for fire damage only) and marine (which covered ships). So in the beginning, real property was covered by fire insurance and personal property was covered by marine insurance. As insurance coverages grew, the terms such as homeowner, auto, etc. were coined to clearly market package policies that covered personal property, liability, and sometimes real property in a cookie cutter manner for masses of people with “normal” exposures. The policies that weren’t heavily marketed or that weren’t written en masse tended to retain their antiquated names. So even now a Commercial Fire policy usually covers way more than fire.

So, going back to the original marine (ship) insurance, that was the mobile personal property branch of insurance. When people started insuring other types of mobile personal property it more fit with the marine insurance than fire (real property) insurance so it split into Ocean Marine (mainly hull insurance) and the oxymoronic Inland Marine (personal property insurance on stuff other than ocean going vessels). Much of the personal property that doesn’t fit on a cookie cutter package policy such as a homeowner policy still goes on an Inland Marine. So now if you have a $100k Rolex or a herd of cattle or a construction crane or portable tools used in business or grain auger or tractor or baseball card collection, you put it on an Inland Marine policy.

Non-ocean going boats, such as something you can tow behind a pickup, might be on a boatowner policy or Inland Marine; the one time “Inland Marine” sort of makes sense.

If you’ve read this far, I am both surprised and impressed.

swpflipper

Equipment
MX5400 HST, LA1065 FEL, HR2572 box blade - S30 flip Screen
Nov 3, 2020
Arizona
As others said, don't settle. Expand the search. Equipment is shipped all over the country. It can be priced reasonably. Chances are a selling dealer could help.
I opted for the mx5400 over the l4701 for loader capacity and pto torque. It's a nice machine.

nwjones18

Equipment
L4701 HST, RCR1872 Rotary Cutter, RTA1266 Tiller and Grapple
Jan 21, 2021
Warner Robins, GA
State Farm wrote me a personal articles policy for my L4701 and implements. Same insurance we have on wife's engagement ring.

To the OP that sucks and I'm sorry for your loss.. I really like my L4701 and got lucky to find a nice used one with implements. If I was going to spend that kind of money new I'd have sprung for the MX5400. I know someone here that did just that and he had to buy it from a dealer in another state, and he also settled for a shuttle shift because that's all he could find.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Because insurance people like to confuse the crap out of everyone!

Truth is because at the origin of insurance there were two types: fire (which covered buildings for fire damage only) and marine (which covered ships). So in the beginning, real property was covered by fire insurance and personal property was covered by marine insurance. As insurance coverages grew, the terms such as homeowner, auto, etc. were coined to clearly market package policies that covered personal property, liability, and sometimes real property in a cookie cutter manner for masses of people with “normal” exposures. The policies that weren’t heavily marketed or that weren’t written en masse tended to retain their antiquated names. So even now a Commercial Fire policy usually covers way more than fire.

So, going back to the original marine (ship) insurance, that was the mobile personal property branch of insurance. When people started insuring other types of mobile personal property it more fit with the marine insurance than fire (real property) insurance so it split into Ocean Marine (mainly hull insurance) and the oxymoronic Inland Marine (personal property insurance on stuff other than ocean going vessels). Much of the personal property that doesn’t fit on a cookie cutter package policy such as a homeowner policy still goes on an Inland Marine. So now if you have a $100k Rolex or a herd of cattle or a construction crane or portable tools used in business or grain auger or tractor or baseball card collection, you put it on an Inland Marine policy.

Non-ocean going boats, such as something you can tow behind a pickup, might be on a boatowner policy or Inland Marine; the one time “Inland Marine” sort of makes sense.

If you’ve read this far, I am both surprised and impressed.
I even read it all!! Including my typo at the top.

In NZ we don't have (or I've never heard of) inland marine insurance. Our insurance comes with names that sound like the thing it's insuring. I'm not sure though if we're the weird exception, or the USA is the weird exception (I'm inclined to believe the US is the exception, but I could be wrong).

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
To give you the short answer, 'inland marine insurance' was developed from marine insurance. Products/cargo would be insured for transport to the port (marine insurance) and that was the major way of transporting goods. As railroads and eventually trucks developed, businesses wanted a way to insure the cargo while being transported inland from the docks. Hence the development of 'inland marine insurance'.

The term has been used for so many years that it has never been changed out. Unless you deal with insurance, many wouldn't know what or why the term exist.

Borane4

Equipment
M4-071
Dec 16, 2020
Texas
I have a MX5400 and really compared it to L4701 before pulling the trigger. Loader capacity aside, the MX is bigger and wider which I like for hills and for doing any ground engagement with a box blade. I did not look at the M6060, but it does not have an hydrostatic option, just shuttle. Not sure that's important, but is if you want a hydro. Finally, the MX is not much more $ than the L4701, so I went with the idea that if all else is the same/close, buy the bigger tractor. Time goes by pretty quickly. I bought my tractor then had nearly 4 weeks of rain and mud to endure before I could use it for the first time. In hindsight, I didnt miss out on much...

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
Stick with your MX5400 decision, you will not be sorry for the loader capability and the tractor capability in general. You have had a L3901 and have experience of its size and capability.

I own both a L3901 and a MX5800, if I had to choose just one it would be the MX as the loader on the L3901 will often not meet my needs so I totally understand your thought pattern for moving up in size.

I would look for a wider radius, even out of state to buy an MX. Good luck with your next tractor.

TX Chris

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5400, BH92, RTV900, ZD326
Dec 14, 2020
Rowlett, TX
I had an L3901 that was destroyed in a fire. Fortunately I still had the KTAC insurance and it made the decision to upgrade to the MX5400 much easier on the pocketbook.

I also considered the L4701 but the difference in money to get the MX5400 instead is negligible. The difference in size, weight and power is quite a bargain over the L4701.

Comparing the L3901 to the MX5400 is almost not fair.

Having said that, you didn't really say what you use the tractor for so I can't make a recommendation on anything other than my experience with the two tractors.

Cranblue

Feb 23, 2019
Lincolnton NC
Ok so I used to have an l3901 and it was stolen so I’m upgrading from that because it was a little small for what I was wanting. So I was thinking 5400 because of the added loader capacity and hp. Problem is that the dealers can’t seem to have a 5400 for several months but have either a 4701 or a 6060 on the lot. Not sure I need a 6060 and it’s 4000 more than the 5400. Haven’t even looked at the 4701 because I would like the extra features and capacity to run a bigger mower. So wait the extra time, upgrade to bigger but more money or downsize? What do y’all think?
I went with L4701 in 2019 I compared to MX5200 price difference was like $1800.00 or 2K not much.Rear tires are same size front tires are not of course smaller loader.I also felt Turbo and Cat II 3pt hitch wasn’t needed for me on 20 acres running no large farm attachments!!L4701 has good engine power with 37.8 at PTO HP plenty for me.I also use tractor around house and where I mow and bigger machines mean bigger ruts especially if ground is wet and FEL is loaded up.Also I got BH 92 which is same on both tractors.I would look at how much FEL capacity you need and are you going to run large Cat II implements.Either machine your going in direction of bigger I’ve been very pleased with 4701 I’ve ran a lot of heavy equipment and pound for pound it holds its own.If I where to shop over again I would have looked harder at Grand L series but I only doing like 200 hrs a year if it was 500 or more I would definitely go with the comforts of Grand L series.Good luck keep us posted and wait for what you want if 5400 is the one worth the wait !!