L4701 keeps shutting down

harmanjohn

Equipment
Kubota L 4701
Aug 29, 2021
Locust Grove, GA
My L4701 has an error code P0606, and has had it for months, but has run fine for months with the code.

Last 2 times I used it to plow, it kept shutting down randomly & wouldn't restart. After cooling off, it will start right back up. Battery light and oil pressure light come on. When trying to restart, it'll hesitate forever but won't turn over. Removed battery, but Indicator light is green so looks good. Not sure what to do. Any help is appreciated!

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC

Attachments

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Clearing the code won't solve the problem that caused it.
If P0606 is low battery voltage, you might start with checking that out by taking it out and getting it load tested, plus checking and cleaning all the attached cables and grounds. Please read your owners manual about connecting and disconnecting cables in correct order if you are charging or checking voltages. It is possible to fry the ECU on these tractors.

What other error code is also posted? See pdf above.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
0606 means the ecu detected a low voltage situation at one point. That don't mean go out and buy a new battery. That means the ecu detected low voltage at some point.

If you had the Kubota software and hardware, you could tell real quick when it had low voltage by viewing the freeze frame data--but only a dealer can do that. You won't have access to that stuff. Unless you work for a dealer of course ;)

It can be caused by multiple things and here are a few. Low battery voltage. Bad cable connection. Bad ground. Bad wire connection somewhere. Broken wire (or partially broken). Corrosion in a connector or at the battery. Corrosion in a connector somewhere between the battery and the ecu, or even at the ecu connector itself. Fuses--I've seen the fuse block get dirty and corroded too. Or it might simply be a bad or failing ecu. You may have other "soft" codes that you don't see, only a dealer can see those with their software and hardware. With those soft codes it makes it easier to diagnose. With the freeze frame data, it makes diagnosis of P0606 a breeze. I sure wish someone would come up with software and hardware that was available for end users. It don't need the full functionality of the dealer-specific stuff (just read codes is all that's needed).

with all that said you can clear it from the panel so you don't have to look at it no more, but it won't clear it from the ecu. It will still be stored there. There's a youtube video that outlines how to clear it from the panel.

Reactions: 1 user

harmanjohn

Equipment
Kubota L 4701
Aug 29, 2021
Locust Grove, GA
I wish I had read the last reply before buying a new battery---which I did, and the problem is still there. My tractor will crank up fine, and will run for about 45-1 hr before it will start shutting down randomly. Once it heats up good, it will not restart quickly. I have to wait for it to cool down, then it will start up, only to run for a few more minutes before starting back up. Repair guy seems to think it is a bad fuel solenoid. This is way over my head.

I cleared out the P0606 code---it has not returned.