L4701 intermittent shuts down

dhhearn45

Sep 13, 2017
US
I've had it back to the dealer twice, now the warranty has elapsed. I will be mowing a long and the tractor stalls out. If I pump the gas/diesel peddle it catches. Z??? I've changed the fuel filter drained the tank and forced compressed air to the fuel lines. Still stalls dealer couldn't find it. It is intermittent and has to be driven for 30-60 minutes. Tractor has 58 hour's on it [emoji53][emoji53][emoji22]

Sent from my SM-T113 using Tapatalk

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
If it's been in twice for the same problem and hasn't been rectified, it's still a warranty problem.
Being a new tractor I'd guess it's ECU controlled, so hand it back to them and demand it be fixed.

scdeerslayer

Equipment
MX5200DT
May 23, 2016
SC
Shuts off like the key is turned off, or stumbles then shuts off like running out of fuel?

Hopefully it's not the ECU, but that should be a warranty replacement if it is since you've had it in during the warranty period for that issue.

Could it be you're moving in the seat enough for the seat switch to kill the tractor? Also there is a chance that something in the fuel tank covers the outlet then moves away.

Benza

Equipment
Anything and everything Kubota
Sep 14, 2017
Dunlap, IN, USA
I've had it back to the dealer twice, now the warranty has elapsed. I will be mowing a long and the tractor stalls out. If I pump the gas/diesel peddle it catches. Z??? I've changed the fuel filter drained the tank and forced compressed air to the fuel lines. Still stalls dealer couldn't find it. It is intermittent and has to be driven for 30-60 minutes. Tractor has 58 hour's on it [emoji53][emoji53][emoji22]

Shuts off like the key is turned off, or stumbles then shuts off like running out of fuel?
Like scdeerslayer asked, does it shut down immediately, or does it stumble? You mentioned if you pump the pedal it will catch...does it stay running then? How long do you have to wait before the tractor starts again after it dies?

I've had an L3901 come in with that same problem; Turned out the bleeder bolt was just the tiniest bit loose, and after a certain point of using the tractor, it would sputter down and die. See if that's tight. Otherwise, if it's stumbling and they dying, you have a fuel issue.

If it's immediate, it's safety switch related.

dhhearn45

Sep 13, 2017
US
Like scdeerslayer asked, does it shut down immediately, or does it stumble? You mentioned if you pump the pedal it will catch...does it stay running then? How long do you have to wait before the tractor starts again after it dies?

I've had an L3901 come in with that same problem; Turned out the bleeder bolt was just the tiniest bit loose, and after a certain point of using the tractor, it would sputter down and die. See if that's tight. Otherwise, if it's stumbling and they dying, you have a fuel issue.

If it's immediate, it's safety switch related.
It stumbles. It stays running when i pump the pedal and runs till the next time. If I let it die it starts right back up.
I had a different dealer pick it up yesterday. We'll see[emoji54][emoji53]

Ktech101

Sep 15, 2017
Ny
It definitely sounds like a fuel issue. It could be as simple as something in your fuel tank. Blowing back in the lines would only temporarily solve the issue. If you look at your water separator it may be drawn down slightly when the problem occurs and then fill back up slowly. During the time of the issue you could pull the line off the high pressure fuel pump, the one coming from the electric pump. It should have a very steady amount of flow. You can check for leaks in the system before the electric fuel pump. I have ran into some electric fuel pumps working intermittently causing similar symptoms. If your dealer hooks diagmaster to the machine they may find some dtcs to help narrow your issue down. When the problem occurs let the tractor stall out completely and listen for the fuel pump, you should be able to hear it. Hope some of that may help

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Blowing air in the lines on this unit is 100% BAD for it!
It has a very complex system and blowing air in it can blow seals.
It's also a High pressure common rail electrically controlled system, so "pumping the pedal" may be just working an electrical switch that is bad.

Is it a DT (geared) or an HST (hydrostat)?