L4701 Grapple choice - SGC0660 or 1060

CKNPRO

Equipment
L4701 HST
Apr 16, 2021
Alabama
For use with my L4701, I currently have a L-type 48” "rock" grapple now, but it only has two large fingers on the top, and it is limited on opening and grabbing smaller things. Has done OK, but I have seen where a clam-shell type would be better in may cases for my everyday usage - just grabbing limbs and debris for the burn pile and such. I’ll probably keep the L-type for bigger jobs, heavy log toting, etc. My dealer has each of the grapples mentioned in the title. I like the weight of the 0660 at 250#+/-, priced at $2k, yet it is only rated to 30hp. The 1060 weighs in at 390 but is rated to 55 hp, and it is $800 more. I’m not sure the hp is a problem on the 0660, but you can see how much heavier the 1060 is.

Yes…I have checked out the EA grapples. 5-6 months wait currently and they are $400-500 higher. I am not that enamored with them. I do like buying from the local dealer.

I guess my question is will I be setting myself up for failure with the 0660 if I choose it for weight and cost reduction? I have considered selling the L-type and getting the 1060 for an all-around. I bout it for $1100, I could likely get $800 for it easy.

Last edited:

drumminj

Equipment
L4701, Mule 4010
Nov 4, 2021
TN
I suppose it depends what you're going to do/lift with it. Presumably the HP ranges are a proxy for how much weight you'll *lift* and how much force will be applied to the grapple.

I'd go with the 1060 of the two, but there are other good grapples out there as well other than EA. Plenty of threads on here with different options (I myself have a Homestead Implements, but haven't used it enough to offer an opinion on it yet)

Edit: "life" -> "lift"

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
For use with my L4701, I currently have a L-type 48” grapple now, but it only has two large fingers on the top, and it is limited on opening and grabbing smaller things. Has done OK, but I have seen where a clam-shell type would be better in may cases for my everyday usage - just grabbing limbs and debris for the burn pile and such. I’ll probably keep the L-type for bigger jobs, heavy log toting, etc. My dealer has each of the grapples mentioned in the title. I like the weight of the 0660 at 250#+/-, priced at $2k, yet it is only rated to 30hp. The 1060 weighs in at 390 but is rated to 55 hp, and it is $800 more. I’m not sure the hp is a problem on the 0660, but you can see how much heavier the 1060 is.

Yes…I have checked out the EA grapples. 5-6 months wait currently and they are $400-500 higher. I am not that enamored with them. I do like buying from the local dealer.

I guess my question is will I be setting myself up for failure with the 0660 if I choose it for weight and cost reduction? I have considered selling the L-type and getting the 1060 for an all-around. I bout it for $1100, I could likely get $800 for it easy.
I have 0660 that I got when I had a BX. I still have and use it mainly with my B (it’s great and I am glad I have it) but it also works with the Mx. I am careful with what I do with it if on the Mx. but in my opinion it’s not really build with rigorous use of an L or MX in mind. It will work just fine with patience and limitations. If you plan to use your L I think you might be happier with something sized/structurally compatible. If you are picking up light brush or smallest logs and such it is probably fine…tasks for a sub compact or small compact. I think your L is in a little different class creeping up towards a mid size. I suspect your L will try to lift and overpower things the 0660 may not be happy grabbing a hold of. Just my thought.

CKNPRO

Equipment
L4701 HST
Apr 16, 2021
Alabama
I have 0660 that I got when I had a BX. I still have and use it mainly with my B (it’s great and I am glad I have it) but it also works with the Mx. I am careful with what I do with it if on the Mx. but in my opinion it’s not really build with rigorous use of an L or MX in mind. It will work just fine with patience and limitations. If you plan to use your L I think you might be happier with something sized/structurally compatible. If you are picking up light brush or smallest logs and such it is probably fine…tasks for a sub compact or small compact. I think your L is in a little different class creeping up towards a mid size. I suspect your L will try to lift and overpower things the 0660 may not be happy grabbing a hold of. Just my thought.
Thanks - I can see that. I am leaning to getting the 1060, using it for a while to see if it alone can do all I want before I sell the L-type rock grapple. I was thinking this morning that the L-type does not do well for reaching in and grabbing a bunch of privet hedge and pulling it out of the ground, whereas the 1060 looks like it would shine at such tasks ( I HATE privet hedge) and it's getting that time of year when the battle begins. But I can also see where picking up a large section of tree could be a problem with the 1060 - though it does have serrations on the top teeth. I'll just have to try it to see I guess. I don't do a lot of big log moving, but when I go to clear woods roads at the hunting property, there is often a large tree blown down that I have to clear away. What I have has done well at that task, thought I do wish it opened further.

Goz63

Equipment
Kubota L2501, LA525 loader, QH15,Land Pride RCR1860, BB2560, SGC0660, forks
Jun 19, 2021
Mississippi
When I bought my 2501 I was right on that edge of 0660 or 1060. I went with the 0660 for cost, availability, and my perceived usage. It worked out just right for me but I have the baby L. If you have the cash, it is in stock I would do the 1060. I seriously doubt the added weight will limit you and having a heavier DUTY grapple would give me peace of mind. Seems to me the 1060 is the perfect match for the 4701.

Reactions: 1 users

bbxlr8

Equipment
L2501 w/R14s, LA525, BH77, SGC0660, CL 5' BB, CL PHD, WG24 + Ford 1210 60" mmm,
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
When I bought my 2501 I was right on that edge of 0660 or 1060. I went with the 0660 for cost, availability, and my perceived usage. It worked out just right for me but I have the baby L. If you have the cash, it is in stock I would do the 1060. I seriously doubt the added weight will limit you and having a heavier DUTY grapple would give me peace of mind. Seems to me the 1060 is the perfect match for the 4701.

@CKNPRO I also have the 2501 and the 0660. Agree with the above, however, the one thing you said about "concern for the occasional big logs" stuck out to me. I seriously don't think you will have a problem with either choice.

Question for you - & not to be smart, but "big" means different things to different people...;)

My point of reference: I have used the snot out of mine on timber and my first real test of grapple & BH was on week one with a big 36" oak stump left from H. Sandy (dove right into the deep end of the pool).

Later last summer, I moved about 30T of deadfall, stumps etc. in a two-week period. You have more overall lifting power than the lesser Hyd. pump on the lower Ls and remember that those HP ratings in this context are just to get people in the right ballpark. My trees are hardwood and typically 18"-36" with the occasional freak one to 48" (have not tried grapple on one this big yet) but I normally would buck those smaller anyway. The 0660 doesn't break a sweat and I occasionally transport distances. There I am limited to the trail space (12-15' ) and awkwardness rather than the weight so it balances out (pun intended). Also IMO - The LP design is excellent for tops, limbs, brush and shrubs.

Reactions: 2 users

CKNPRO

Equipment
L4701 HST
Apr 16, 2021
Alabama
I suppose it depends what you're going to do/lift with it. Presumably the HP ranges are a proxy for how much weight you'll *lift* and how much force will be applied to the grapple.

I'd go with the 1060 of the two, but there are other good grapples out there as well other than EA. Plenty of threads on here with different options (I myself have a Homestead Implements, but haven't used it enough to offer an opinion on it yet)

Edit: "life" -> "lift"
Been looking at the Homestead root grapple - looks pretty good and right in the middle of the price range.

CKNPRO

Equipment
L4701 HST
Apr 16, 2021
Alabama
8044A7CE-45BA-47DD-A78A-9E34EDE8B58D.jpeg

Anybody have a 48” like this? 250#. I like the narrow grapples for general use and for getting around in the woods.

Hole Digger

Equipment
B26
Mar 15, 2022
Whidbey Island, Washington
I have a B26 and am looking at purchasing a grapple. I like the threads for the SGC 0660 and the SGC 1060. I have the SGC 1060 on order now for almost a year and it should be at the dealer shortly. Is this the right grapple for the machine? I value opinions. :)