L4400D (gear Drive) No Start

woodhog

Equipment
L4400D, FEL, Backhoe, box blade, Plows
Jul 17, 2016
winslow, Arkansas
I had trouble getting tractor to start but after banging the neutral lever against the neutral safety switches several times it started. I continued to haul logs for another hour however if i needed to get off tractor I engaged the PTO so it would continue to run while i was off the seat. I drove the tractor back to the garage to park it and I shut it off. the next morning I removed the neutral safety switches and tested them for continuity when depressed, each time they showed continuity so i put them back on the tractor and started the tractor to confirm switches were ok, it started and then i turned the key off to do some other work. about 30 minutes later i attempted to start the tractor all i could get when turning the key to start was the solenoid clicking. I retested all the safety switches, all were ok. I checked voltage at the starter it was 12.65 V same as battery. I removed the starter and bench tested it and it worked fine good strong movement of pinion gear and motor spun really well. i put starter back on tractor made sure of all connections and still nothing but the solenoid click when turning the key to start. i removed the ignition wire from the starter and checked the voltage on that wire with the key in start i got 11.15 V. i then attempted to jump the starter by running a jumper wire (12ga) from battery cable connection on starter to ignition terminal still just the click of the solenoid. i again removed the starter and checked that the flywheel was free to turn, it was. i put the starter back on without the battery being connected to it and i clamped my jump box to the starter and the jumper wire to the igniton terminal and the starter engaged and turned the engine (albeit slowly, because the jump box was lower on voltage). i did a drop test on the battery cable attached to the starter, it showed a drop of approx. 1V with the key turned to start. I connected a jumper cable from the battery to the starter terminal still no luck just a click of the solenoid.
So i really need some help to figure this out. and if anyone has a wiring diagram for the tractor (L4400D) i sure could use a look at it.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
You seem to have a voltage problem. Clean the battery terminals and the cable clamps. Follow the ground wire to the frame connection is clean. Have the battery load tested.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Post some photos of your battery and cables + the starter.

I suspect you are using some battery repair cable ends and other stuff which is bleeding off voltage preventing the solenoid from engaging.

Dave

woodhog

Equipment
Jul 17, 2016
winslow, Arkansas
Post some photos of your battery and cables + the starter.

I suspect you are using some battery repair cable ends and other stuff which is bleeding off voltage preventing the solenoid from engaging.

Dave
Battery is new as of april it is a battery with 100 more CCA than the original battery. cables and ends are original to tractor and have been cleaned and reinstalled battery terminal have been cleaned and battery was checked Monday and it checked out as being in excellent condition. Tractor only has 500 hrs on it and is garage kept.

woodhog

Equipment
Jul 17, 2016
winslow, Arkansas
UPDATE! i once again this evening disconnected the battery from the starter and attached my jump box to the starter and jumped from the positive cable to the ignition post the starter turned the engine over but it still would not start. my question: can the starter be at question with that result? Is the ignition wire from the ignition switch only showing 11 volts under key start mode when battery shows 12.75 volts be the problem? Need help

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
UPDATE! i once again this evening disconnected the battery from the starter and attached my jump box to the starter and jumped from the positive cable to the ignition post the starter turned the engine over but it still would not start. my question: can the starter be at question with that result? Is the ignition wire from the ignition switch only showing 11 volts under key start mode when battery shows 12.75 volts be the problem? Need help
You are asking for help but ignoring my request for some photos............ If you are going to decide what is and what is not relevant to solving your problem do you really need help?

Why are you using a jump box if your battery is in excellent condition?

You need to be jumping the starter as shown in this photo. This simple test will determine if your starter if good. along with the battery cables.

Starter jump.jpg

If your tractor starts reliably by being jumped, then likely your safety switches are tired and would benefit from a relay installation.

starter relay

Dave

woodhog

Equipment
Jul 17, 2016
winslow, Arkansas
I discovered the cause of my no start problem to be the starter positive post that had gotten turned while i was pushing brush with the tractor, the slight turn in the post had moved the internal contact in the starter and thus did not provide enough current to turn the starter over. Adjusting that post has fixed the problem. all cables, terminals and safety switches were OK. thanks to Dave-eng for his help with this matter. sorry to all for the belated response but I was so far behind on work with the tractor and have been quite busy catching up.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
I discovered the cause of my no start problem to be the starter positive post that had gotten turned while i was pushing brush with the tractor, the slight turn in the post had moved the internal contact in the starter and thus did not provide enough current to turn the starter over. Adjusting that post has fixed the problem. all cables, terminals and safety switches were OK. thanks to Dave-eng for his help with this matter. sorry to all for the belated response but I was so far behind on work with the tractor and have been quite busy catching up.
Thanks for the update.

Glad you found the cause.

Letting us know helps everyone learn

Dave

woodhog

Equipment
Jul 17, 2016
winslow, Arkansas
Dave, I have another question you may help me with. I have an old (1981) Ford 1500 that, after 30 minutes of use will show the oil light. The engine oil is extremely black and this tractor goes for long periods between service. could the oil screen be partially closed (from sludge) or what could cause the oil pressure to drop after 30 minutes of use?