L4400 mysteries

ex-Sea Bee Mike

Equipment
Kubota B7800 ; Kubota L4400; Ford 2N
Jan 12, 2023
Broadbent, OR
Check your PM's (envelope top right)

When you get it apart and see if it is cracked send me a PM and I'll find you a good head, good sellers and supplies change day to day!

I always use a Kubota OEM head gasket and O-ring if needed!
Good morning Wolfman, I contacted the local Kubota dealer and was told there are four thickness options for the head gasket. I'm gonna start by pulling the head and if all looks good I want to be able to re-install the head. I'll need a gasket and want to buy the correct thickness. Any recommendations on thickness? And what's the o-ring? Didn't see one on the diagram? Thanks! Mike

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You will need to have both the engine serial number (bottom picture in red) and number off the head gasket (yellow marks), you should be able to read them before taking it apart.
AND FYI there is 5 head gasket options for that model. 🤪
And yes there is no O-ring on that model, it's built into the head (Blue circle).

1683047587045.png

1683047650065.png

ex-Sea Bee Mike

Equipment
Jan 12, 2023
Broadbent, OR
Check your PM's (envelope top right)

When you get it apart and see if it is cracked send me a PM and I'll find you a good head, good sellers and supplies change day to day!

I always use a Kubota OEM head gasket and O-ring if needed!
Good morning. Finally got some time to pull the head off the engine. Block and head look good. Doesn't appear to be warped, pitted, cracked. Gasket is a three layer aftermarket with numbers the the Kubota dealer doesn't recognize. So now I'm wondering what thickness gasket to order? 4 options. Don't want to go too thick or too thin since I understand that head clearance issues might arise? Any ideas? Since it is an aftermarket gasket I have no way of knowing if anything was milled. And measuring the old gasket thickness doesn't seem to be an option since the three layers have separated. Gasket came out whole with a wrinkle between cyslinder 3 and 4 that might have been caused during removal. Appreciate any input! Mike

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I didn't realize till today that I have a bad copy of the WSM.
I'm working to see if I can get ahold of a better copy.
It should have the way to determine the proper head gasket size.
There is 1.15, 1.20, 1.25, 1.30, 1.35.

I think you have a 1.20 in front of you but I really don't want to assume that is the right one.
Give me a little bit and I'll get back to you on this.

ex-Sea Bee Mike

Equipment
Jan 12, 2023
Broadbent, OR
I didn't realize till today that I have a bad copy of the WSM.
I'm working to see if I can get ahold of a better copy.
It should have the way to determine the proper head gasket size.
There is 1.15, 1.20, 1.25, 1.30, 1.35.

I think you have a 1.20 in front of you but I really don't want to assume that is the right one.
Give me a little bit and I'll get back to you on this.
Thanks! I'll look forward to what you find.
For what its worth, it looks like if I went with the 1.20 that I'd be right in the ballpark. Not the thinnest, not the thickest. Maybe 1.25 to hit the middle.

ex-Sea Bee Mike

Equipment
Jan 12, 2023
Broadbent, OR
Good morning, Finally got a new head gasket from Kubota dealer and plan to install asap. Does anyone have the torque and bolt sequence for the V2203? Thanks, Mike