L4060 first regen review and ownership experience

virginiavenom

Jan 30, 2015
Sherman, TX
so far....I've only got 64 hours on my L4060 open station. I'll layout what I got with the tractor and what I wish I would have gotten, repairs and damage or things I've learned thus far.

L4060 HST with the larger loader
Loaded R4s
1872 rotary cutter (slip clutch)
SA20 post hole auger (12") (FEL mounted style)
3rd function
cheap 1272 box blade
shop manual
pallet forks and bale spear.
Front and rear supplemental LED lighting.....well worth it.

First Regen (happened at 62.3 hours.....I was mowing at this time (on purpose) had the machine in Auto mode, and it was indeed automatic. however I did notice a slight drop in power. I was mowing some pretty thick nasty stuff about 4 foot tall.....but nothing that I hadn't been doing previously, I just noticed it was bogging much easier during that time, I dropped a gear on the HST from medium-high to medium-low and that helped me to continue on, after it completed I went back up a gear and continued on. pretty painless and at only doing it every 60+ hours, I can definitely live with that.

minor repairs:
after about 15 hours of operation, mostly box blading, some brush cutting and light loader work, I found that my FEL (which I have yet to detach from the tractor) on the pins, I had lost 1 bolt and nut (retainers) and had lost 2 other nuts but the bolts had remained. just went to my handy bolt bin I keep around for car stuff and I had the right size nuts and nylon lock nuts and put it back together. no harm done. one of the pins I had to turn a bit but nothing difficult.

maintenance wise:
I'll admit I wasn't worried about anything on this tractor for some time. I did get a filter 2 gallons of hydro oil and the engine oil filter and oil from my local dealer. a tad expensive but it doesn't have to get done again until like 400 hours. another I can deal with no problem. I have yet to do it.....I know it was due at 50 hours. it will get done tonight. however I didn't notice that because of the addition of my 3rd function and my SA20 which I'm guessing they didn't top off the hydraulic or test the 3rd function before I got it, the SA20 and filling the 3rd function must have taken quite a bit of fluid, my hydraulic fluid was barely at the safe line.....another thing that will be fixed tonight. no big deal.

there are 2 lines of which I'm not totally sure of their origin or destination that lie on the passenger side under the fuel tank. they seem to hang rather low. below everything else. not sure what to do with them or if they are supposed to be there. they are still probably a solid foot off the ground. nothing to really zip tie them to but I'll address this again tonight.

the intellipanel I love, albeit it's use and adjustments lack some user-friendliness....finally figured out how to go to MPH from KPH. not a big deal, just a level of comfort.

the seat......well I'm a big guy, running at 300 lbs the standard seat adjusted as tight as it could be. it still bottomed out just sitting on it. I wish I would have sprung for the air ride here.

should have gotten when I bought the tractor:
should have spent the cheese for the 4760 or higher (really would have liked the 6060, but in time I intend to upgrade to a 6060 cab) some for the additional hydraulic flow, mostly for more FEL capacity as I'm dealing with large rocks, and dealing with the 6 foot cutter through thick brush could definitely use more. the 4060 in more damp conditions can tend struggle a little.
Air ride seat (big one)
3rd function quick coupler.....the line to line connections are still a little difficult to deal with...
hydraulic quick coupler on the front end loader because getting up and down sucks.....and mostly because the fiance hates the handle style on the quick attach and has difficulty as a result of this. not huge, but a long term item that could be well worth it.
Tiller.....obvious reasons
heavier box blade with the TopNTilt.....and 2 rear hydros.
heavier bucket/4in1 or hydraulic grapple on heavier bucket for rock moving to make it easier.
rear clevis for drawbar....I'm going to get one from TS or the like.
quick attach.......not huge, but would speed changes up considerably although I'm very good and quick at the swapping.
Land Planer.....I'm good with a box blade, but I think it would have been much nicer for driveway and smoothing work I'd like to do all over pretty much.
rock auger.....would have made the augering through the little bit of sandstone much much easier.

I realize all of these things likely would have cost me another 12k if not more.....but it would have been worth it.
I have no regret on any of my implement purchases....they are all great. just mostly some implement additions and an "all options" approach when it comes to the tractor. but in reality...I would recommend this tractor to anyone.

Safety when hauling:
I have had to transport my tractor as I'm maintaining 2 properties several hours away from one another until I get my other property sold. having said that I hate, the lack of no real places to secure the tractor. front I have less of an issue with, but in reality why is there not factory locations to put chains through front and back. 2 chain hooks front and 2 rear where you could slide chains into or through (or clevis would be better for a single binder on front and rear) it's actually frustrating. on the front I run the chain between the grill guard and the grill and on the rear as I typically have the brush hog on it, I run through the 3 point since the brush hog supports the 3 point arms. I hate this.....but it seems the only way to do it. if I was moving just the tractor....I really don't know what I would do. now that is another reason for getting the large clevis for the drawbar as that should be a fairly good tie down point. it's my biggest hate on this tractor.

I really love this tractor. in a few years I'll do a nice upgrade to a 6060 cab if they still make them or similar.

at about the same time a friend from Houston bought a green tractor. he has a few more hours of mowing on his and said he's at about 130 hours. it's already had a no start condition, a problem with regenning, and a transmission issue. he is going orange after the horrible experiences with his local green dealer as well as the problems themselves. it was a 45 horse or there abouts in the same size roughly. anyway....that's my review, rambling as it is.

yesterday she picked up her biggest rock yet. about 8 foot by 5 foot and about 3 feet thick at one part. with the brush hog on it, ballast in rears and my 300 lbs, the rear was REALLY light. be safe

BCrouse

Jul 30, 2016
PA
Good to hear youve not had any major issues this far. Always a good thing.

Ive discovered several things I should have gotten as part of the initial purchase too and some things I shouldn't have. Learning occurred. Mostly things I didnt think id need but now would find great value in.

As for transport:

Did I read this correctly youre using (2) chain/binders to secure 5000-6000lbs (maybe more?)worth of tractor and implements? Thats pretty scary if so. I know same state laws say vehicles (not sure if tractor fits that) must be secured at each corner by a separate attachment.

What is stopping you from attaching to the axles? That is how I am accustom to transporting jeeps and other off-road vehicles. 4 separate straps or chains directly to the axle tube going to 4 separate attachment points to the trailer.

I haven't had to transport my tractor, but I cant imagine id do much different.

virginiavenom

Jan 30, 2015
Sherman, TX
yes, 1 large 3/8" chain front and rear with one large binder front and rear. it's how the kubota dealer had it secured and how they said they secure all of their tractors through the L series. when they go to M series they use one on each corner. maybe Oklahoma is more lax.

LDowney

Equipment
Kubota MX6000
I have the same tractor, L4060 HSTC and weigh around 270 lbs. Same problem here. Seat bottoms out all the time. You would thing it would be tested up to 300 lbs.

I have 130 hours on mine so far. Not a singe issue. Great tractors for sure.

BigRed57

Equipment
L2350 4x4 land pride 4ft bush hog
Jun 29, 2016
Society Hill S.C.
I have just under 50 hours on mine and the only regret I have is not buying it sooner. I would have liked to have the L6060 but it was about $7k more just for 20 horses. I bought it earlier this year and was debating not getting the loader installed. I've had 3 trees fall before hurricane Matthew and two after. All of them were 30" plus oaks. Needless to say always get what you want bc it will cost a lot more in the end.

dotcop690

Equipment
KUBOTA L3560, LA805 LOADER, 6' BOX BLADE, 6' BUSH HOG, GRAPPLE, TILLER
Dec 28, 2016
United States
I have a L3560 with a LA805 loader, I wish I'd got the L4060. The seat is the biggest complaint I have about the tractor. I'm about 255 and if there was a way to keep the seat raised up and not bottom that would be nice.

cooljoe00

Jan 21, 2017
Mullins, SC
Roughly what would you say your setup cost was this is a similar tractor to what I hope to buy in the next few weeks. Also are Load Fees, inland freight Fees, Market Development fees, Fuel surcharge fees. all standard Fee? It seems like a real nit pickin' way to nickel dime the customer.

virginiavenom

Jan 30, 2015
Sherman, TX
I wish I would have gotten either a TLB, or at least a backhoe on this tractor, maybe upgraded to the 4760 with cab (not so much the HP, just the lifting power.

total with all of the attachments and changes I was about 44,363 out the door (I'm tax exempt in Texas.) I had no fees. unless you count the insurance.

Last edited:

highcountrybarry

Mar 20, 2016
Fleetwood, NC
I am 230 and the seat bottoms easily for me too. Guess we need to eat more fish and we would be slimmer like the Japanese. I made a deal with my dealer and he just got in my air ride seat.

Virginiavenom, take a look at this thread and you can probably offer some comments. DPF operating hints: calling all owners of new tractors

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...&share_tid=28108&share_fid=18850&share_type=t

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Technical Ted

Equipment
L3560/cab LA805 loader LandPride RCF2060 rotary cutter, HLA hyd angle snow blade
Jul 2, 2016
Dansville NY
I am 230 and the seat bottoms easily for me too. Guess we need to eat more fish and we would be slimmer like the Japanese. I made a deal with my dealer and he just got in my air ride seat.
When I first got my L3560 the seat bottomed out, but I turned the adjusting screw (clock-wise I think) and it works fine now. Plenty of cushion. I weigh just over 200 lbs. Maybe as long as I don't gain any more weight I'll be OK! ;)

Ted

JDChase

Equipment
Grand L6040 HSTC, XG 850, B 26 TLB, Z 726 zero turn.
Mar 13, 2022
Greeneville, TN
Good to hear youve not had any major issues this far. Always a good thing.

Ive discovered several things I should have gotten as part of the initial purchase too and some things I shouldn't have. Learning occurred. Mostly things I didnt think id need but now would find great value in.

As for transport:

Did I read this correctly youre using (2) chain/binders to secure 5000-6000lbs (maybe more?)worth of tractor and implements? Thats pretty scary if so. I know same state laws say vehicles (not sure if tractor fits that) must be secured at each corner by a separate attachment.

What is stopping you from attaching to the axles? That is how I am accustom to transporting jeeps and other off-road vehicles. 4 separate straps or chains directly to the axle tube going to 4 separate attachment points to the trailer.

I haven't had to transport my tractor, but I cant imagine id do much different.
Transporting a tractor is quite a bit different than a car, I have transported many of both and I completely understand the frustration with the lack of places to hook to. The TLB series tractors have really great attachment points, but seems the farm type machines were meant to stay on the farm! lol!

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Transporting a tractor is quite a bit different than a car, I have transported many of both and I completely understand the frustration with the lack of places to hook to. The TLB series tractors have really great attachment points, but seems the farm type machines were meant to stay on the farm! lol!
It's a 5 year old thread. Not your fault because the website can recommend these old threads, but please take a look at the thread age before reopening old threads. No, I'm not a mod.

JDChase

Equipment
Grand L6040 HSTC, XG 850, B 26 TLB, Z 726 zero turn.
Mar 13, 2022
Greeneville, TN
It's a 5 year old thread. Not your fault because the website can recommend these old threads, but please take a look at the thread age before reopening old threads. No, I'm not a mod.
And in 5 years Kubota has obviously not remedied the issue! Thanks for the info.

Reactions: 1 users