L3902 and implements for forested property maintenance Sunshine Coast BC Canada

Western

Equipment
l3902, LA26, LP BB1566, Maschio Birba 155F flail mower
May 20, 2023
Sunshine Coast BC Canada
We have an 18 acre forested parcel, with about 3 acres cleared with two dwellings, large shop, and grassy areas. It's relatively level terrain, with glacial gravel and rocks, and dirt.

Getting equipped for the ongoing maintenance and some future development. Priorities: 1) control of brush, invasive blackberry, grass etc for fire break purposes and insect/varmints away from buildings, 2) large rock removal and contouring to improve drainage away from buildings, and to make it easier to mow, 3) repair and maintenance of badly pot-holed drive, 4) development of some trails, 5) numerous general maintenance tasks, dragging logs, site cleanup, etc.

It's a temperate climate so snow removal is not an issue. There is at present little in the way of any cultivation and gardening, and little planned for the foreseeable future. For the past 20+ years the site was used by previous owner for residence, boat storage for the region, and a marine maintenance shop. We are returning the land to more natural state, and cleanup of debris here and there in the forest left over the past 100 years is another task for the tractor. The site is environmentally sound as near as we can determine, with good quality water supply from both a shallow and deep well.

Little available in resale market. Nearest Kubota dealer is on mainland, a ferry ride away. Dealer will ship for about $1k+ (all numbers in $CDN).

The L3902 looks like a good base platform, with the LA525 bucket loader and pallet forks. Don't see much need for a back hoe, and can borrow from neighbors if and when needed, so passing on that now. The options of R14 tires and roof seem to make sense.

A box blade seems to be a good choice and looking at a Landpride 72 inch BB1272 or BB2572. The 25 is more robust and with more scarifier tines, but more $ and perhaps overkill? The tractor width is about 55 inches, so perhaps a 60 or 66 inch wide BB would be more appropriate.

For mowing to the sides of the drive, and around the edges of grassy areas, it seems like an offset flail mower would be a better choice than a finishing mower, given the tough blackberry vines which aggressively encroach. Looking at Landpride (pricey but quality) and TMG Industrial (lower cost but lower quality).

Learning from all the great videos on YT (moderated by the comments!), and now this web site and forums.

Also starting to connect with neighboring land owners to collaborate on ideas, equipment, etc.

Any comments or suggestions on any of the above would be helpful and appreciated!

Last edited:

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Good day. I have a somewhat similar (2nd) property…it’s in a forestry program with our state (I don’t currently live at it so you needs might be different or even different frequency of use).

In terms of the implements and use for my situation:

1. LP Pallet forks, use regularly and would not be without them. I don’t have a grapple up there (I have one at my residence but it is not worth to me hauling it) so I use not only for pallets but moving implements, wood storm damage and trail clean up as well as raise tree stands.

2. LP Brush cutter. I mow and make trails with it. I use monthly or more during the mowing season. (Have used for ballast, in some rare cases, not ideal but if you need ballast it does admirable job…hangs back 10 feet though). I’ve not used a flail myself so I am not sure how they do with removing saplings and brush…a rear brush cutter of some type to me is not really replaceable unless you have huge budget or like to do by hand.

3. LP tiller. It’s used seasonally for the garden/food plot area.

4. Garden bedder / middle buster…these are used seasonally about same frequency as tiller…the bedder is used slightly more due to the process I follow in the garden.

5. LP Rear blade. Seldom use…two reasons, one I put in a proper drive and it doesn’t have much if any traffic or erosion. My time at the place is prioritized to mowing or cutting branches or the garden (seasonal chores that grow) so really fooling with the black blade just not a priority. However, when I need it, I need it. There really is. Not a good substitute in my opinion if you have roads/trails to groom / clear. (You can also clear snow or use for ballast…it hangs back a ways similar to a cutter though if in tight space, but it is versatile IMO).

6. BH. Rarely used. Similar to number 5.

7. Garden / tank sprayer with outriggers/nozzles. This is handy however mine is intended for an atv but it can be rigged to my home made carry all. To me being able to put chemicals / herbicide / fertilizer is helpful.

8. Carry all, homemade hitch and skidder (or sorts), and ballast box. Frequency of use is sporattic depending on my chores but when needed they are comfort implements for me as they let me bring what I want to the remote tasks so I am not running back and forth back to the barn / truck.

9. Wagon. I don’t use it much but when I need it it’s helpful.

To me for a forested property, it sort of depends on the property itself and what doing with it…the most important ones to me would be pallet forks, and a grapple if you plan to use it lot, and something to mow / cut brush with and something to take care of trails with. (I went with a rear blade as I thought it was more versatile than a plan or box scraper or plane…I can use to clear snow with a rear blade as well, plus it can be offset and titled which allows some other use and range).

Depending on how you like to control brush think about if need to use herbicides / sprayer. Maybe also think about the if you plan to have any areas that you will need to ever seed…will you need to prepare the soil for seeding/planting, and if so how would you don that? How frequently?

If you plan to do harvest trees or skid logs, that’s maybe something to think about…on occasional basis you can drag them…for bigger/more frequent, a log skidding plate/winch would be handy IMO.

Some things after the initial use just won’t be used frequently…so also depends on available and term of the purchase (buy for one time use or for longer term property management? I don’t use a cordless drill ever day, or even week, but I have more than one and I plaid a lot of money for it compared to a screwdriver, but I plan to use it for many years…I think same way for implements)

Just my thoughts. Congrats on L3902. ☕ (Share some pics)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Western

Equipment
l3902, LA26, LP BB1566, Maschio Birba 155F flail mower
May 20, 2023
Sunshine Coast BC Canada
Thanks rc51stierhoff for your thoughtful perspective. Gave me lots to think about.

I have posted some further questions and comments in the "Buying Advice and Pricing" forum.

Photos to follow in the summer once the equipment gets delivered.

Cheers from 🇨🇦 !!!