L3901 won’t lift and curl at the same time.

Jriedy85

Equipment
B2710, TG1860
Jun 17, 2020
Ohio
So this question is for my coworker that bought a brand new L3901 almost 2 years ago. And he said that when he has a load in the bucket that the loader will not curl the bucket and lift at the same time. He can only do one or the other. He said he spoke to the dealer he bought it from and they told him that’s just the way new kubotas are. Is this true or do you think the dealer is trying to get out of having to repair something that’s wrong with it?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I dont own a L3901 .... but do have a Kubota FEL ..... and the thought of dealer saying " just the way new kubotas are " well he is full of shyte!!!

Tell him to run up the RPMs and see if there is any difference.....

On my BX there is a sweet spot that is sometimes hard to hit, but it is there - and I can hit it when I need to.

IF brand new - one of two things - either user "error" - not using the machine enough ....

or there is some in the circuit causing flow not to split to both circuits.

HAVE you tried his machine out??

Jriedy85

Equipment
B2710, TG1860
Jun 17, 2020
Ohio
I dont own a L3901 .... but do have a Kubota FEL ..... and the thought of dealer saying " just the way new kubotas are " well he is full of shyte!!!

Tell him to run up the RPMs and see if there is any difference.....

On my BX there is a sweet spot that is sometimes hard to hit, but it is there - and I can hit it when I need to.

IF brand new - one of two things - either user "error" - not using the machine enough ....

or there is some in the circuit causing flow not to split to both circuits.

HAVE you tried his machine out??
I have not tried his tractor. I have an older kubota FEL so I didn’t know if the knew ones were just designed that way or what. As far as user error this isn’t his first tractor with an FEL so he should know what he’s doing. He just can’t believe that it won’t curl and lift. So you are in agreement though that the dealer needs to fix this issue? I can tell him when I see him tomorrow to try and adjust the RPMs and see if that helps. He may have already tried that. I’ll have to ask.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
On of things that the JD 1025 machines have is the inability to do what you mention - raise and dump at same time.

...... do not have first hand experience with JD - just from videos on the net.....

the fact that Kubota would design that ...... would be a huge detriment to sales. And I cannot believe it to be the case - at least I hope not!!!

I would go to the dealer ..... hop on another machine and see if does the same thing......... and hope it does NOT.

Got to be a few of OTT owners that can chime in and tell you what they experience while using their B3901.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
So this question is for my coworker that bought a brand new L3901 almost 2 years ago. And he said that when he has a load in the bucket that the loader will not curl the bucket and lift at the same time. He can only do one or the other. He said he spoke to the dealer he bought it from and they told him that’s just the way new kubotas are. Is this true or do you think the dealer is trying to get out of having to repair something that’s wrong with it?
Can not speak for your friends tractor, but on my B2910 curl and lift operate simultaneously without issue. With my backhoe boom, stick and curl also work simultaneously.

Have read this is a feature of Kubota products. Never noticed a difference between an empty or full bucket. Something doesn’t smell right with your friends experience.

Reactions: 1 user

Jriedy85

Equipment
B2710, TG1860
Jun 17, 2020
Ohio
Can not speak for your friends tractor, but on my B2910 curl and lift operate simultaneously without issue. With my backhoe boom, stick and curl also work simultaneously.

Have read this is a feature of Kubota products. Never noticed a difference between an empty or full bucket. Something doesn’t smell right with your friends experience.
I agree. I’m gonna tell him tomorrow that he needs to get after the dealer and make them fix it.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
If your friend looks at the operator's manual for the loader, I think he'll see in the lower left quadrant an 'X' meaning it won't lift and curl concurrently. However, if you feather the control it will. After all, this is needed to fill the bucket from a pile. Does everything else work correctly?

I think your friend needs to work on his technique.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
It's a design feature on many SCUT/CUT's. Low flow hydraulics and only 1 motion at a time.

It's the first thing I check on evaluating a new machine. If it can't do two motions simultaneously then its on my do not buy list.

Jriedy85

Equipment
B2710, TG1860
Jun 17, 2020
Ohio
It's a design feature on many SCUT/CUT's. Low flow hydraulics and only 1 motion at a time.

It's the first thing I check on evaluating a new machine. If it can't do two motions simultaneously then its on my do not buy list.
Well he says it will do both motions as long as he doesn’t have a load in the bucket. Is that a feature of the low flow hydraulics?

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
I cannot directly answer your question because I do not have a 3901 but what I can say about my L4600 is.... If the RPM's are low say around 1200 the curl function is very slow and when lifting and curling like when I'm getting ready to pull out of the barn it is slow.

Up the rpm's and response is much better in fact quiet fast when lifting and curling.

Lot of knowledge here someone will come along that has the same setup that can help you and your friend out.

Good luck.

Jay

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA

That may be. But my B2910 would fall into the small category, and I have NEVER noticed not having the ability to lift and curl at the same time, bucket empty, or full of crushed limestone.

I remember reading, as Mikester stated, that some tractors only have a one movement at a time capability. BUT I also remember reading that Kubota tractors allow multiple movements at the same time, as compared to some other tractors which do not.

Can anyone verify that my memory is correct on this point?

Like Mikester, after being used to using curl and lift simultaneously, I would never buy a tractor with a loader that could not do that. Could not live with it...

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
My L3301 is about 5-6 years old. I was just doing this over the weekend with several buckets of gravel. Running a bit over 2000 RPM, I've never tried at low RPM so maybe that's contributing as some have suggested?

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I have read that some ag tractors will not operate both functions simultaneously and all industrial machines will. ??

I have a Bushhog M346 FEL on my tractor and it will not do both functions at the same time.

FrozenOrange

Equipment
L3901HST, B7100
May 8, 2017
North Pole Alaska
I've had my L3901 a few years now. It lifts and curls no problem. Lifting is at a slightly faster rate than curling. When I go into a pile of snow or gravel I can easily lift and curl to fill the bucket. It sounds like your friend has a flow rate problem or some kind of obstruction in his hydraulics. Probably rattling around in the control valve. Get it to the dealer. Make sure the dealer doesn't charge extra for pulling his head out of his own A...
That should be basic kind of stuff for a dealers shop to repair.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
This subject comes up periodically.

Here is a version from a year ago:

Reactions: 1 users

Jester67

Jun 6, 2020
USA
I have an L2501 with the same loader that I bought new last year and now has a little over 20 hours on it and it will lift and curl no problem even at low RPM as demonstrated yesterday when clearing my driveway of snow. The loader is slower at low RPM's and whatever you start first seems to get the majority of the fluid but it will still do both. The drive was a solid sheet of ice under the snow and even in low range would spin with the least amount of pressure on the peddle when at higher RPMs, R4 tires. Lowering the RPMs helped but did not stop it. If this ice was a "normal" occurrence I would have to get chains but every 20 years or so I can live with some slippage.

Reactions: 1 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I've had my L3901 a few years now. It lifts and curls no problem. Lifting is at a slightly faster rate than curling. When I go into a pile of snow or gravel I can easily lift and curl to fill the bucket. It sounds like your friend has a flow rate problem or some kind of obstruction in his hydraulics. Probably rattling around in the control valve. Get it to the dealer. Make sure the dealer doesn't charge extra for pulling his head out of his own A...
That should be basic kind of stuff for a dealers shop to repair.
I wouldn't take a tractor to a dealer before I read the link I posted earlier....Dave_eng and others quoted manual sections about the issue. .

It could be a mechanical issue - true.

It could be an inexperienced operator.

It also could be someone accustomed to commercial machines. These tractors aren't operating with the same capabilities.

They do it, just not the same others do....still better than JD and others.....

It came up a few weeks ago. I just couldn't find that thread.....

Last edited:

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
It also could be someone accustomed to commercial machines. These tractors aren't operating with the same capabilities.
BINGO!

A SCUT/CUT is a limited capability machine. No use complaining about it. I sometimes wish I had a full sized construction TLB but I made a compromise. End of story.