L3901 right for me?(pics)

Muddkat

Nov 27, 2020
Maryland
First of all I want to thank you all for being here for help, support and advise.

I am in need of a tractor to help me maintain and develop my property(3acre) and a larger property(20+acre) I hope to purchase later in life. My brother has let me borrow his green 2038r to fill in some canyons in my driveways and I feel like it is a good size. I also began to dig out for a tractor shed when I do get mine. This has been my first experience on a tractor and I feel like I’ve accomplished a good bit in 4-5 hours.

Grading the driveway I felt that I could possibly use a slightly smaller tractor. Once I started to dig out for the shed, I thought well this is about the right weight to get into the ground. I visited a Kubota dealer and sat on the LX2610su and L2501. The LX2610su seemed small and I actually preferred the location /feel of the FEL stick on the L2501. Looking online before this I felt that the b2650 was the choice for me. Then the LX3310 was introduced to fix the regen issues. This became my new choice. After using the Deere and sitting on a LX frame machine I feel like the L01 series will fit my needs more.

I don’t need the horsepower for PTO attachments on this property but I may on the new property and there is potential for contracted work on weekends. I will get a backhoe to help dig a pond, add retaining walls, dig footers and trenches.

How does the L3901 compare to the tractor I’m using. I’m going to the dealer on Monday. I can’t find much on the two other than biased reviews about hoods and pedals.

In the last picture I plan on using the tractor to dig out for a 60x40 or 50x30 shop/garage. I will also be making driveways on the property.

Thanks,
Andrew

Attachments

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
I can't tell you what to do. Personally I stayed under 25 hp to completely avoid the regeneration issue. My L2501 is very well suited for my ten acres. You may wish for something larger if you buy the twenty acres but unless it's in your immediate future or you KNOW you'll be buying you may wish to stay small now and move up later.

Muddkat

Nov 27, 2020
Maryland
Thanks. I am trying to convince myself that the l2501 is enough, but I just don’t want to be let down by absence of power from the lower HP unit. I have heard that for loader work the HP doesn’t make a difference. Is this the case when trying to carry a bucket load up a hill?

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
I think you really need to figure out exactly what you plan on doing with the tractor in the future. Is it only going to be a loader tractor? Do you have any plans of running a mid mount mower? Or front mount snowblower? Do you want to run a rear mount finish or brush mower? If so, how many acres do you plan on mowing? Answering some of these questions in your mind will eliminate certain models. If there is no plans on a mid mount mower or front snowblower then, any model will work. You will find that when you ask this question that some will try to convince you that the model they own is the best for you, so you will have to take that advice and figure out if it is so for your situation.

Muddkat

Nov 27, 2020
Maryland
I can eliminate the mid PTO. If I need a snowblower I will get rear mount so I could still use the FEL. I plan on using a rear plow for snow removal. We generally only get 2 6” snowfalls a year with 10 or more about every 5 years. The potential property would be mostly wooded so I wouldn’t expect to be mowing a lot. If I did it would be 2 times a year so if it took a little longer I think I would be ok. I guess my biggest question is does the extra hp in the l3901 help with loader work or is it primarily beneficial for PTO. I just hate buying and then having regret. It can go either way here. Regret spending the extra money or regret not getting enough hp. Thanks again

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
The worst case between L3901 and L2501 is that you'll have to spend more time in the seat! L2501, uses a 5 foot cutter and the L3901 can use a 6 footer... With the L2501, you might have to climb hills a wee bit slower (although, what I've read... L2501 has tons of extra torque).

I would save the money to buy extra implements with the L2501 - then sit back and enjoy the ride. I'm extremely impressed with what my L2800 has done. Cutting and flattening down hillsides, building roads, lifting boulders and mowing.

The engine in the l2501 was used in the L3400, de-tuned and runs at 2105 rpm vs. 2700 rpm for the rated specs. I'm guess that they will run forever...

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
The L2501 will serve you well. But, you will always wish you had more hp not matter what you are using. I would have been all over the L3901 when I bought my tractor if it did not have the DPF, simple as that.

You won't see much, if any difference, using a backhoe. I'm guessing maybe some difference using the loader if you don't lose traction. Even with my L2501, I start to spin using a loader much of the time, so extra hp will not always benefit you. As others said, the PTO hp on the L2501 is lower and you will mostly suffer that way. I have only ran a 5 ft tiller so far with mine and it was fine, but I had to go slow at times.

I would assume you will, but I would buy a Hydro unit over a geared unit. Using a loader would be tedious with a geared unit. Just my 2 cents.