L3901 Delivered Today

Tomztoy

Equipment
L3901 FEL BH Grapple Post Hole Digger Flail Mower Back Blade Rake Stump Grinder
Oct 28, 2016
Cleveland TN
Hi,
Gotta call that my L3901 was ready to be delivered. Was kinda surprised that it was here already, ordered it the end of June and expected it mid to late Sept.
The driver dropped it off and asked if I had any questions I said no and off he went. This is my 3rd hydrostatic Kubota (BX2350 & B2601) so I though “ been there done that”. That was a MAJOR mistake!
My first question is how do you know if it’s in 4wd or not. The red tee handle will not budge up or down. Instead of getting my trusty 5lb ball peen hammer to encourage it I thought I would try here first. In the attached picture I tried to show that from the bottom of the red tee handle to the metal deck covering is 2-3/4”.
So knowing that is there anyone who has a hydrostatic L3901 that knows if it is currently in 2wd or 4wd as it sits.
As a bonus if there is something I should be doing other than pulling it up or pushing it down I would appreciate that input also.
Thanks
2D3E709E-2E91-45C1-9F80-863E79ED2127.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

ayak

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301 HST
Feb 16, 2018
WV
Hi,
Gotta call that my L3901 was ready to be delivered. Was kinda surprised that it was here already, ordered it the end of June and expected it mid to late Sept.
The driver dropped it off and asked if I had any questions I said no and off he went. This is my 3rd hydrostatic Kubota (BX2350 & B2601) so I though “ been there done that”. That was a MAJOR mistake!
My first question is how do you know if it’s in 4wd or not. The red tee handle will not budge up or down. Instead of getting my trusty 5lb ball peen hammer to encourage it I thought I would try here first. In the attached picture I tried to show that from the bottom of the red tee handle to the metal deck covering is 2-3/4”.
So knowing that is there anyone who has a hydrostatic L3901 that knows if it is currently in 2wd or 4wd as it sits.
As a bonus if there is something I should be doing other than pulling it up or pushing it down I would appreciate that input also.
Thanks View attachment 64477
Congratulations on the new tractor.
That looks to be in the 4WD/UP position.
Before I got a feel for how to do it otherwise, I could raise my front wheels up using the FEL bucket and that allows the 4WD to go in and out much easier.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Congratulations.

On is up, off is down.

From the online manual …

Depress the clutch pedal before engaging the front wheel drive lever.

If the front wheel drive lever is difficult to set to OFF, stop the tractor, turn the steering wheel and move the lever.

Mak65

Equipment
L2501 HST
Apr 25, 2019
TX
Like ayak stated appears to be in 4-wheel drive.

On my L2501 you are supposed to step on the clutch before pushing or pulling the handle to switch between 2 and 4 wheel drive

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
Welcome to the forum. Congrats on the new L3901, there are some good comments above about moving in and out of 4wd, I'm sure things are just a little tight being new.

My L3901 helps with so many tasks, it is a great tractor, hope you will be happy with your upgrade.

airbiscuit

Equipment
New Holland T2310, New Holland TC21D, Kubota l3010 GST, Farmall H
Mar 18, 2021
NW WI
Using the loader to lift the front wheels off the ground and then pushing it down is a good idea. Running it around in reverse for a while and then pushing it down is worth a try.

On my New Holland, the 4wd lever is a bit stiff. I find that instead of just pushing or pulling it, I have the best luck if I SNAP it sharply up or down.

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
Congratulations on the new tractor!!!

Mike

Goz63

Equipment
Kubota L2501, LA525 loader, QH15,Land Pride RCR1860, BB2560, SGC0660, forks
Jun 19, 2021
Mississippi
Nw tractor! My L2501 is the same tractor with bigger engine. That 4 WD handle is sticky in the beginning. Definitely push in the clutch. It can take a little blunt finesse to get in an out some times but never more that your hand will do. Try a little hit with the palm of your hand and you should have put back in 2 WD pretty quick. From your picture pretty sure you are in 4 WD.

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
My L3301 is almost the exact same tractor. That looks like up (on) position to me.

I've disengaged it once. It took a pretty good smack. Engaged a bit easier but it doesn't take well to slow, gentle movements.

Tomztoy

Equipment
L3901 FEL BH Grapple Post Hole Digger Flail Mower Back Blade Rake Stump Grinder
Oct 28, 2016
Cleveland TN
Hi again,
Big Thank you to all that responded.
I went out this morning, let it warm up a bit and as soon as I got the front tires off the ground I was able to push the tee handle down. Drove it around a bit stop put it in and out of 4wd several times. I expect it will “loosen” up a bit more as time goes by.
Got some more questions but will start a new thread for them.
THANKS AGAIN!!
Tom

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
I have found to take it out of 4wd before backing it into the garage, it is easiest done going forward, stop put in reverse and push down the handle as I let the clutch out. Always goes down easy then.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I'd hazard a guess you had some drivetrain wind up if it had been driven in 4wd.

I believe Kubota set their wheel circumferences so that the front wheels go just a bit faster than the rear - helps to "pull you around corners" was the suggestion I saw. Either way, if you drive on hard surfaces it'll put load on the transmission as the front wheels try to go faster than the rear (and once it's loaded enough, will then force them to slip a bit).

My B2601 does this, and driving briefly backwards tends to let it pop out. I presume lifting the front wheels would similarly release the load on the transmission - they'd unwind.

I generally don't drive in 4wd unless I need it for something - on hard surfaces it's hard on your tires, on soft surfaces it tears the grass a bit due to the speed differences front and rear.

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
If the 4wd lever doesn't easily change when stopped with the clutch in, to unload tension, with wheels straight I let the clutch out and with light pressing or pulling pressure on it creep the tractor forward a foot or two. If that doesn't work creep it back a foot or two, one way or the other always does.
Nice tractor BTW!