L3901/3301/2501 series PTO

Fido Farms

Equipment
L3901, 35 Massey, Summit X 146, Polaris 700 RMK, Yamaha Viking
May 27, 2018
Canada
PTO starts clankin when I use my roto tiller in firm ground (no stones) if I try to go to deep. Its like the cogs don't stay against each other and get out of time. By that I mean they are under load (quiet normal operation) and then they sound like they are hitting back and forth as if the tiller jumps ahead and the cog on the tiller side hits the drive cog and then the drive cog hits the tiller cog (the clanking) until you lift the tiller out. I am goin very slow but once they get outa time I need to raise the tiller and then I'm back to normal. It has only happened in this one soil condition. Things are properly adjusted before you ask. It just may be a normal with this type of cog/pto set up or with this roto tiller combo. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.. Thx for your replies.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Sounds to me like your tiller driveline need some preventive maintenance.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I think Flip is on the right track.
How many hours are on the tiller?
Stored indoors?
Is it gear drive or chain drive?
Are the PTO shaft joints tight?
If it is new did you add the oil as all the tillers that I have read about are shipped dry?
Which direction do the tines rotate?
Are you traveling to fast and over loading the tiller?
How many hours are on the tractor?

Info helps when try to do this over the computer. I am not trying to bust your chops.

Fido Farms

Equipment
May 27, 2018
Canada
Just to be clear the noise is from the PTO cams. The tiller is old, chain drive, SOVEMA so its heavy duty enough, but well maintained. It just seemed odd that it would do that. I could understand the tiller causing tiller noise issues but its only a 60" tiller on a 2018 3901 HST so power ain't an issue. It should go into sod at even creep and just chew away IMO. I'm used to it running behind my 35 Massy with no tiller issues. Under normal soil conditions its fine, Just the harder pan stuff. Can't understand why even if the tiller had issues it would cause the cams to rattle? When the clanking is on tiller sounds fine. I'll just have to be careful in the firmer parts of the garden. I was just curious if anyone else had experienced this type of behavior before. I will check the tiller out just to be sure things are good and I'll carry on. THX and I appreciate the suggestions.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Can’t offer any more help but I have a 60” tiller on the previous series L to yours and have no abnormal noise. Use mine in clay that is like concrete and a gear drive L and no issue. Mine also set up for reverse rotation so it pulls a little harder.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Check your PTO engagement handle. My L25101 kept popping out of PTO. I ended up lubricating the shaft and stuff on the linkage by the seat so it would work smoothly. Problem solved.

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
I got rid of my tiller because the old Cams were crap, it would skip (not fully engage) and to upgrade the pto cams was over a grand. You have the new cams and I'm guessing you either have wore them out or possibly they are not adjusted correctly.

Personally tilling is pretty hard on these pto Cams.

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
I have a L3901DT that uses a two stage clutch for the PTO, I did know how the HST model engaged the PTO till I looked at the "Illustrated Parts List" for the HST.

I looked the cams up on Messick's web site, they aren't to high, but I'm sure labor to replace them would pretty high.

The "Adjusting PTO Wire" in the WSM has:
  1. Check to see that the threaded portion of PTO wire(3) rear side is set at the center position. If not, set by lock nuts (2).
  2. Set PTO level (1) at the "OFF" position "A".
  3. The lock nut (4) is tightened in the direction of the arrow. Then stop if before the lever (5) moves.
  4. Retig
    L_PTO_wire_adj.jpg
    hten the lock nut securely.

Fido Farms

Equipment
May 27, 2018
Canada
Thx again for all the input. My pto linkage was set up to tight from new which I have posted just after I got the tractor and figured out what was causing a similar noise once and awhile. I have the linkage set up correct and the cams are tight when the cable/PTO is engaged. From what I have read in other posts I believe this PTO/cable set up is probably the only weak spot on this L tractor series. Ill do more experimentin/testing with my tractor/tiller setup and see what develops. Thx again.