L3600 Glow Plug Controller

jimic

Equipment
L 3240
May 12, 2011
Clarksville,tn usa
Would the Glow Plug Controller be Solid State Or Mechanical ?

I believe the controller is holding my glow plugs on continuously . Easer to believe if the controller is mechanical.

If I unplug the controller the glow plug relay drops out and pulls back up when plugged back.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
If you can hear the relay dropping out and pulling back in it's mechanical. Solid state is silent. The controller is probably telling the relay to pull in. The controller itself can be solid state activating the relay which actually provides power to the relay. The relay may be in the same physical package as the controller or it could be a separate device. I suggest scaring up a schematic diagram of your electrical system then perhaps a parts list.

jimic

Equipment
L 3240
May 12, 2011
Clarksville,tn usa
If you can hear the relay dropping out and pulling back in it's mechanical. Solid state is silent. The controller is probably telling the relay to pull in. The controller itself can be solid state activating the relay which actually provides power to the relay. The relay may be in the same physical package as the controller or it could be a separate device. I suggest scaring up a schematic diagram of your electrical system then perhaps a parts list.
I agree the relay is has a magnetic coil . I was questing the make up of the Controller it self.

No question the controller is pulling up glow plug relay. But if controller is solid state there less change it has a stuck contact. More like an open circuit.

That would tell me the controller input could be the problem.

I have still not confirmed the temperature sending unit is ever out putting enough to turn the glow plug controller off.

Doing this project on shoestring budget, so trying not to throw parts at problem.

thanks

jimmy

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
stop guessing and start testing

dig up your wsm, it outlines the tests

u can test the temp sensor, it's easy. U can also test the relay, also easy. Wiring and grounds, also an easy test. if all those components are good then you have a bad controller by process of elimination.

i've done a ton of these and most of the time i'd replace the controller and relay. they both have updated part numbers and after replacing i never saw them again for that problem.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
The glow controller is a solid state device getting temp input from a sensor.

The Glow controller triggers a mechanical relay ON or OFF to power the GP's

The indicator lamp seems to be grounded within the controller. It is powered from a common fused circuit.

The indicator's ground wire is black with a white stripe

Dave

Attachments

jimic

Equipment
L 3240
May 12, 2011
Clarksville,tn usa
The glow controller is a solid state device getting temp input from a sensor.

The Glow controller triggers a mechanical relay ON or OFF to power the GP's

The indicator lamp seems to be grounded within the controller. It is powered from a common fused circuit.

The indicator's ground wire is black with a white stripe

Dave
Thank you

jimic

Equipment
L 3240
May 12, 2011
Clarksville,tn usa
stop guessing and start testing

dig up your wsm, it outlines the tests

u can test the temp sensor, it's easy. U can also test the relay, also easy. Wiring and grounds, also an easy test. if all those components are good then you have a bad controller by process of elimination.

i've done a ton of these and most of the time i'd replace the controller and relay. they both have updated part numbers and after replacing i never saw them again for that problem.
Thanks

I just printed a wiring diagram from Dave, I believe I am on the right tract

jimmy