L35 Limp Mode?

Fire-N-The-Hole

Equipment
L35
Mar 22, 2023
US
I have a L35 and at seemingly random times it will go into what I can only describe as "Limp Mode". It will drive fwd in 1st gear at normal speed however, there is no power behind it in any other gear ie: I cant drive up steep hills or fwd at times on a level surface. The backhoe works fine (so not a hydraulic issue).

Anyone come across this issue or know how to diagnose what the problem may be?

Thanks in advance.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
So far I'm thinking its the Clutch, Gear Shift Change Mechanism or a plugged line (has new filters).

Your thoughts?
I'd check out the clutch first. Put the PTO in gear and watch when the tractor stalls. If the PTO quits turning, you have a clutch issue. If the PTO keeps turning, the problem is somewhere else. (The foot clutch is a single disk and couples the PTO and transmission to the engine.)

You could have a linkage problem. When it stalls, try the shuttle forward and reverse. Does it move then?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Deep Fried Mechanical clutch!

Do as PoTreeBoy said to test.

Fire-N-The-Hole

Equipment
L35
Mar 22, 2023
US
Deep Fried Mechanical clutch!

Do as PoTreeBoy said to test.
If it is the clutch that needs to be replaced, does anyone know the going rate to have someone replace it? I can work on vehicles but have never worked on a tractor and don't have a garage so I will have someone knowledgeable do it.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If it is the clutch that needs to be replaced, does anyone know the going rate to have someone replace it? I can work on vehicles but have never worked on a tractor and don't have a garage so I will have someone knowledgeable do it.
Sadly that is an expensive model just to split, it's not an easy split as the loader doesn't easily remove.
Top of my head that's probably a 2.5K plus job from an independent mechanic.
It depends on where your at and what kind of mechanics you have locally.

Fire-N-The-Hole

Equipment
L35
Mar 22, 2023
US
Sadly that is an expensive model just to split, it's not an easy split as the loader doesn't easily remove.
Top of my head that's probably a 2.5K plus job from an independent mechanic.
It depends on where your at and what kind of mechanics you have locally.

Could it be this? Kubota #34076-64803 CABLE,SHIFT ASSY (messicks.com) In a previous post
Nicksacco mentions the same issue I am experiencing. Kubota L35 TLB - Gear Shift Change Mechanism | OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Can you shift gears?
If you can that's not your issue.

Fire-N-The-Hole

Equipment
L35
Mar 22, 2023
US
I'd check out the clutch first. Put the PTO in gear and watch when the tractor stalls. If the PTO quits turning, you have a clutch issue. If the PTO keeps turning, the problem is somewhere else. (The foot clutch is a single disk and couples the PTO and transmission to the engine.)

You could have a linkage problem. When it stalls, try the shuttle forward and reverse. Does it move then?

So I put it in 1st gear and the tractor moves forward and in reverse but in 2nd gear the tractor wouldn't move forward so I jumped out and looked at the PTO shaft. It wasn't spinning. Just doesn't go forward or reverse in any gear other than 1st. The tractor doesn't stall in any gear and when put in any gear other than 1st it will come to a slow resting stop.

North Idaho Wolfman said that if I can shift gears its not the Cable Shift Assembly. Shifting is smooth. So I will assume it's not that.

Does this sound like a clutch issue?

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
I just would like to mention that the L35 gear shifter (you shift with your hand) has detents so you can "feel" the shifts.
However, these detents will be felt regardless of whether the cables to the actual GST are broken or not.
The actual GST shifter is what changes the gear. It does have detents you can feel also.

Something easy you can try is to remove the cover on the GST and shift the transmission using pliers or something. If you can shift gears and it works, it's a broken cable.

1679696013090.png

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
So I put it in 1st gear and the tractor moves forward and in reverse but in 2nd gear the tractor wouldn't move forward so I jumped out and looked at the PTO shaft. It wasn't spinning. Just doesn't go forward or reverse in any gear other than 1st. The tractor doesn't stall in any gear and when put in any gear other than 1st it will come to a slow resting stop.

North Idaho Wolfman said that if I can shift gears its not the Cable Shift Assembly. Shifting is smooth. So I will assume it's not that.

Does this sound like a clutch issue?
Are you sure you had the PTO in gear? I would not get off the tractor with it in gear, moving or not! Can't you observe the PTO shaft without getting off?

Anyway, if you put the PTO in gear, let out on the clutch and verify that the PTO shaft is turning. Then put the transmission in 3rd of 4th or something that it doesn't move, look at the PTO shaft. If the PTO shaft has stopped turning, you have a slipping clutch. You may be able to adjust it, but you'll probably end up replacing it.